‘Close Fuel Lid’ Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default ‘Close Fuel Lid’ Indicator Light

I’ve searched the threads and can’t locate anything on this. While there are several posts about the gas cap, none on the fuel lid.

This morning my 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid dash started posting a message “Close Fuel Lid”. I opened and closed the door several times, checked the cap and nothing makes it go away. Any guidance on how to fix this would really help and be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ‘Close Fuel Lid’ Indicator Light

There should be a simple switch on the door latch which must be malfunctioning, test it with a multimeter and replace if necessary.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

How does one do that? My Highlander is displaying the same warning.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Our highlander is doing the same thing. what I have identified so far is that the actual fuel lid door is basically loose in that it doesn't close as tightly as it should. If I push on the fuel lid door after it's closed, I can actually push it in another quarter inch maybe. And when I push it all the way in like that and hold it there....there the "close fuel lid" indicator goes out. The door does latch, just not as tightly as it should so it doesn't push the switch in far enough to tell it the lid is actually close.

Haven't found anything else out there on the net yet that talks about how to fix this, so I guess I will give it another look and see if I can figure it out. I will post results if I am able to fix it.

If you have this problem try pushing in on the lid once it's closed and see if it pushes in further. If so this is your problem too I would bet.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem for a few months. Finally went to the dealer. They told me the door was bent and not hitting the sensor in the right place, so they "adjusted" it for $50. I would have tried bending it myself had I known.