DIY battery rehab on 2006 HiHy possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default DIY battery rehab on 2006 HiHy possible?

Hi all! Newb here, I'm a quite mechanically apt person who just acquired his first Hybrid and I've found the mpg to be extremely lacking (17.7 avg according to the touch screen display) from my expectations, and the traction battery appears to be not holding a charge very well, looking at the touch screen display where it shows the engine and two motors and their transfer of power, the battery indicator will fill up to 60-80% on a 15-20 minute drive under 40mph, and stop to do business, then about 2 hours later to return home, I will start the HiHy and the battery level indicator only shows about 20% capacity. Also it will lower while simply waiting at a long light, today, it was at about 60% then while sitting still at a long red light, it gradually dropped all the way to ~10% or so.
Being somewhat mechanically inclined, and having most of the necessary tools at my disposal (conventional mechanic tools, as well as OBD-2 diagnostic scan tool, and a very nice Fluke multimeter) I think I would like to actually dismantle the traction battery and test the individual cells and replace just the ones that are lacking in capacity. Is it just a matter of unbolting them and checking voltage or am I missing something? Has anyone else attempted tackling such a task themselves? Thanks for any input!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY battery rehab on 2006 HiHy possible?

Also, forgot to mention, I read about the recall on the 2006 HiHy power inverter and I called Toyota and gave them my VIN and they told me that my vehicle had been recalled for it already and that it was current on all recalls, so that is not a factor I believe.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaveyG
Also, forgot to mention, I read about the recall on the 2006 HiHy power inverter and I called Toyota and gave them my VIN and they told me that my vehicle had been recalled for it already and that it was current on all recalls, so that is not a factor I believe.
Hi Davey, I know this thread is quite old but I’m curious if you ever were able to do this and what your outcome was please? I know there’s more info available online nowadays regarding this especially for Prius hybrid batteries. My HiHy seems fine as of today but I’m sure I’ll be needing to do this in future at some point as I plan on having my 2006 for awhile as it only has 114K miles and I’m environmentally conscious I’ve seen you’re other posts and don’t have answers but you seem very inquisitive and capable of doing many repairs as well as creating novel inventions/modifications for your hybrid. I acquired my car last year and am new to automotive mechanical electrical and battery systems etc etc but am working towards becoming proficient and knowledgeable in these areas so I can at least perform diy repairs on my car. Only recently I performed my first oil change with filter replacement lol

Old 09-28-2021, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

HiHy and Lexus RX4XX HV batteries are unique. They do not share components with any other hybrid vehicle. Replacing individual modules is very difficult in comparison to the simplicity of the Prius module. There are 3 subpacks within the HV battery. It is more common to replace the entire subpack for simplicity. The battery is large, heavy and requires a lot of workspace.

IMHO, your best bet is to bet a Prolong reconditioning system that will charge/discharge your battery, reclaim lost capacity and maximize remaining life.

https://hybridautomotive.com/product...oning-package/

I am an authorized installer. I receive no compensation or benefit from this recommendation. As an authorized installer, I am offered a small discount on their equipment. Hybrid Automotive has never paid me in any way for anything. I make this recommendation because it's a viable turnkey option for your stated goal. This kit includes fan controllers and power supplies needed to drive the battery cooling fans during battery charging. The discharger is an automated device that discharges the battery to preset voltage levels at progressively lower currents to minimize the potential for damage from cell polarity reversal.

Proper reconditioning using this equipment takes about 4-5 days. In most cases, a single charge/discharge cycle will restore the battery to about 80-90% of its potential (not 80-90% of new, but however good your particular battery can get). Your first time would involve the full 3 charge/discharge reconditioning cycles. After that you might only need to run 1 cycle every 6-24 months depending on your climate (hot = 6-12 months, mild = 12-24 months).

These kits WILL NOT FIX a Toyota hybrid battery that has failed; however, they are a good tool for maintaining battery health and subsequent longevity.

How much of a difference does it make? No one has the answer. The way these things typically fail is that pack capacity is reduced from age, use and heat. As the capacity is reduced, the cells are subjected to greater relative swings in their state of charge (SoC), i.e., they fill up faster and empty faster. This increased range of SoC use causes additional cycle wear on them. Eventually, a single cell drops out, and the pack is done for. The reconditioning process restores the lost capacity and returns the cells to a more normal operating range and reduced cycle wear thus delaying failure.

To illustrate the concept:

New cells have 100% capacity and operating in a typical 55-65% range of SoC.
Degraded cells have 50% capacity and operating in the typical 55-65% range of SoC is now more like operating in the 50-70% range of the degraded cells.

Using 10% of a cell's range of charge is much less stressful than using 20% of a cell's range of charge.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
HiHy and Lexus RX4XX HV batteries are unique. They do not share components with any other hybrid vehicle. Replacing individual modules is very difficult in comparison to the simplicity of the Prius module. There are 3 subpacks within the HV battery. It is more common to replace the entire subpack for simplicity. The battery is large, heavy and requires a lot of workspace.

IMHO, your best bet is to bet a Prolong reconditioning system that will charge/discharge your battery, reclaim lost capacity and maximize remaining life.

I am an authorized installer. I receive no compensation or benefit from this recommendation. As an authorized installer, I am offered a small discount on their equipment. Hybrid Automotive has never paid me in any way for anything. I make this recommendation because it's a viable turnkey option for your stated goal. This kit includes fan controllers and power supplies needed to drive the battery cooling fans during battery charging. The discharger is an automated device that discharges the battery to preset voltage levels at progressively lower currents to minimize the potential for damage from cell polarity reversal.

Proper reconditioning using this equipment takes about 4-5 days. In most cases, a single charge/discharge cycle will restore the battery to about 80-90% of its potential (not 80-90% of new, but however good your particular battery can get). Your first time would involve the full 3 charge/discharge reconditioning cycles. After that you might only need to run 1 cycle every 6-24 months depending on your climate (hot = 6-12 months, mild = 12-24 months).

These kits WILL NOT FIX a Toyota hybrid battery that has failed; however, they are a good tool for maintaining battery health and subsequent longevity.

How much of a difference does it make? No one has the answer. The way these things typically fail is that pack capacity is reduced from age, use and heat. As the capacity is reduced, the cells are subjected to greater relative swings in their state of charge (SoC), i.e., they fill up faster and empty faster. This increased range of SoC use causes additional cycle wear on them. Eventually, a single cell drops out, and the pack is done for. The reconditioning process restores the lost capacity and returns the cells to a more normal operating range and reduced cycle wear thus delaying failure.

Degraded cells have 50% capacity and operating in the typical 55-65% range of SoC is now more like operating in the 50-70% range of the degraded cells.

Using 10% of a cell's range of charge is much less stressful than using 20% of a cell's range of charge.
Thanks @S Keith for info and advice. Please see my post at

https://priuschat.com/threads/having....209459/page-3

I didn’t create thread but posted hoping to receive help with my initial Prolong experience. I also just had an unnerving experience with electrical burning and suspected the Prolong Harness cooling fan control circuit override green boxes as the culprit for electrical burning smell and ultimately causing a P3105 dtc and triangle of death with check hybrid battery and AWD systems warnings on my display! It caused my vehicle to sound terrible and roughly idle and cooling fans to maximum speed where I thought they were gonna spin out of their housings and also a forceful loud blowing of air from my engine bay kinda behind engine air filter housing unit! Now my vehicle is making this popping noise at startup kinda like the sound of a Prius at beginning stage of misfiring. I saw video on YouTube and mine sounded like at beginning of video but nowhere near as bad as the video progresses.

I just received response from HA and George said that he agrees that it sounds like the green box is bad (this only happened in the hybrid battery bank behind my driver’s seat and respective cooling fan.

I currently have removed the Prolong harness entirely and did just request a new one but I’m still kinda uncertain and nervous about this system being adequate for the size of a SUV hybrid but idk. The Prius folks seem to have great results. I had great results though short-lived since I’ve had to disconnect my 12V and everything reset. But I gained significant mpg improvement for a several days even with AC on at 70mph highway speeds during a 166 mile each way 2.5-3 hour drive with outside temps at and above 90F! I also have a cargo carrier on my roof that’s empty and another 45 pound item on roof rack!!!

Have you experience with the Prolong system and hybrid SUV’s? Are you in near central Monterey Bay Area California by chance lol?

I am looking for an independent hybrid vehicle mechanical expert because I’m disillusioned with Toyota dealerships or dealerships in general and never have been a big fan of them. It’s just with the hybrid I was worried that there’s only things that Toyota can do but now that I’ve done more research since owning my vehicle as of 11/2020 I know this to not be true and sometimes can be to detriment!

So I’m waiting to hear back from HA and hopefully they send me new harness because my car’s interior is still disassembled to behind front seats since Friday lol!

George said it would be fine to install harness and leave cooling fan green boxes disconnected. I don’t trust those now to allow for proper cooling fan operation majority of time when Prolong is not in use.

Do you think that harm was caused to my vehicle because of the noise I’m now hearing? I believe in some coincidences but the timing on this is just too close for comfort (not that it’s comforting to ever have weird and new car noises lol!)

Obviously I’m not asking this for any future legal implications bc that would probably cost way more trying to prove that this cooling fan box caused whatever is now making noise and I’m sure HA’s disclaimer has them fully protected to prevent that from ever occurring.

Do you have the HA Thunderbolt system? If so, how much does that service cost for hybrid battery health assessment? I saw a couple of their YouTube videos and I still know that overall their devices are beneficial to longevity of battery health.

I’m new to all of this automotive, electrical, battery, etc etc etc stuff and am still learning as I go and want to learn more and be proficient to test my hybrid battery or at least the Prolong devices to make sure all is good 👍🏽
And I’m very curious as to if you’ve had good interactions with regards to HA and hybrid SUV’s.

Also one last thing, when I was installing the harness (which took me about 2 8-hour days multiple checking every step especially the hybrid battery ones lol) I briefly skimmed some of the other installation manuals on their site and I think all of the others indicated to disconnect 12V battery beforehand. But the HiHy did not mention that. I did anyways because of how long it was taking me and all of my doors were open. I also learned from the Priuschat folks that the hybrid switch along with 12V battery disconnected should be removed prior to connecting charger/discharger to vehicle harness connector and then reinstall the hybrid switch before turning charger/discharger on. This sequence has prevented the mini arc flash from occurring inside my charger every time I connected it prior. Do you have any experience with this happening?
Thanks again S Keith!

Any additional help or advice is appreciated

Old 09-28-2021, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith

Hi @S Keith well I replied earlier but apparently I didn’t hit submit and it wasn’t saved.

I have a Prolong Deluxe Reconditioning System that I purchased in May, installed the harness in June, and performed my first and only full reconditioning in July. I’ve had some issues to say the least! And as you’re aware access to the harness is not so easy in a HiHy.

My other reply to you included links but if you’re interested in some of my experience with it so far I have the same screen name in Priuschat and ToyotaNation.

Are you in CA central Monterey Bay Area by chance lol? I am considering having an HV independent mechanic with Thunderbolt or similar system perform overall inspection on my vehicle and hybrid battery so I can have some baseline data to work with. And I’m also done with dealerships! I never went to them until I bought my HiHy and hadn’t researched too much about the mechanical and electrical specs so I incorrectly thought that only Toyota certified places would be able to maintenance and service it properly. But I’ve been to one dealership twice and the second time left me underwhelmed with an unsatisfactory experience.

Have you any experience with Prolong and HV SUV’s? If so, are the devices capable of handling that much more voltage than a car in your opinion and experience?

I’ve honestly had nothing but trouble with mine and currently my car interior remains disassembled since last Friday and the car harness completely uninstalled while I’m researching online and waiting for additional reply from HA.

The first problem was more frustrating in hindsight but this most recent problem posed a possible safety risk. Long story short, HA agreed with my assessment that one of the cooling fan controller override green boxes went bad due to the electrical burning smell I detected while driving 130 miles away from home! And I confirmed it by removing it and opening it up but didn’t see any visible burning but smelled it strongly upon opening.

The driver’s side battery bank was over temperature by several degrees and it was hot outside during my drive. I disconnected it but for some reason decided to reconnect it to see if the fan was actually working and verified all 3 fans were and after reinstalling the hybrid battery parts required for safety.

But then my car began idling roughly and loudly and the fans began spinning at maximum speed or higher as I thought they were gonna fly outta their housings lol! And there was this forceful air blowing from my engine bay from behind area near engine filter housing and the worst part was I received a “triangle of death” warning symbol and warning messages on my display to “check hybrid battery and AWD systems!”

I used Dr. Prius/Hybrid Assistant app again with my veepeak obd-II scanner and it indicated P3105 battery general dtc! I was freaking out at this point. So I disconnected everything including the harness and used app to clear codes and drove around awhile praying it wouldn’t come back up with the warning codes which it hasn’t so far!

But now my car is making this popping noise like an old water heater in area with very ‘hard’ high mineral content water from area where inverter pump is located but I don’t know if that’s where it’s coming from.

I did have my timing belt replaced, inverter coolant changed and cvt fluid changed in June along with oil change and other maintenance items by dealership. Not sure if any of these things could be cause of the noise or issue I experienced but I’m pretty sure it’s the harness. And I’m frustrated also with HA despite knowing their system is beneficial for battery health and longevity overall.

I appreciate your advice and help

Old 09-28-2021, 11:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am in AZ

I have installed a prolong in an 07 HiHY. It performed as expected. I don't really understand your question concerning voltage. There are different Prolong systems for various car models to address the voltage differences. If you purchased the system for the HiHy, then there should be no issues.

P3105 can be triggered by an inop battery fan or it's not responding as expected. If one of the controllers failed and did not allow the fan to respond to HV commands, that would do it.

If your inverter coolant is low, the pump can cavitate making a similar sound. If it wasn't bled properly, it can cause that sound, but they will usually self-correct over time.

I suggest you take a step back from the computer and maintain the dialogue with HA. The Internet is always right, and it's always wrong. The one thing you can count on is FUD, which gets you no closer to your goal. If the controller is bad, they will replace it. They have consistently stood by their products for the better part of a decade.

Please confirm that you are NOT operating the vehicle without the battery cover in place and secured. If you do that, you've effectively disabled the cooling system.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bear&meg314
Hi Davey, I know this thread is quite old but I’m curious if you ever were able to do this and what your outcome was please? I know there’s more info available online nowadays regarding this especially for Prius hybrid batteries. My HiHy seems fine as of today but I’m sure I’ll be needing to do this in future at some point as I plan on having my 2006 for awhile as it only has 114K miles and I’m environmentally conscious I’ve seen you’re other posts and don’t have answers but you seem very inquisitive and capable of doing many repairs as well as creating novel inventions/modifications for your hybrid. I acquired my car last year and am new to automotive mechanical electrical and battery systems etc etc but am working towards becoming proficient and knowledgeable in these areas so I can at least perform diy repairs on my car. Only recently I performed my first oil change with filter replacement lol
After looking into how big a pain in the rear it was to access the HyHi batteries, I decided to not even mess with ripping the whole car apart, and just drove it. Just completed a 2400 mile trip, moving across the continent, and pulling a tiny pop up camper with it, got 21mpg average. After about 6 months of daily use, the battery seemed to have slowly regenerated itself, and now when I drive it (wife uses it daily) I get 24-25mpg, wife consistently gets 21-22. Not terrible considering it’s a 15 year old vehicle that seats 5 comfortably or 7 uncomfortably lol it’s now at 235k miles, engine runs like a top, just had the timing belt, water pump, brakes, and transmission flush done a couple months ago. Body and interior is starting to show its age (teenage driver using occasionally over the last year certainly hasn’t helped) so will probably give it to the kid in the next few months and get the wife something a little newer (and probably sportier, since she has one less kid to drag around) but I certainly can’t complain, it’s been a good car.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks @DaveyG for your reply and update that’s super helpful to know that your same year HiHy has that many miles without problems! I’ve seen the high mileage thread on ToyotaNation forum for HiHy and it’s equally as impressive and reassuring!

Thanks @S Keith for your experience and information. Here’s a link to Priuschat containing my experience with the Prolong Deluxe System since I initially installed it in June 2021 and purchased in May 2021.

My history with prolong deluxe system

I came across the MaxxVolt post regarding issues people were having with their cooling fans on this forum and I’ll look for it again and post link if I find it. I did take a screenshot lol of the post that intrigued me the most. This person worked with electrical engineers and they ultimately determined that the MaxxVolt system should be isolated from the BMS of the vehicle and the cooling fan controllers were the cause of the problems causing the cooling fans to malfunction. Since my last experience with the Prolong cooling fan controller, I’m inclined to suspect that this is also a problem for HA’s system.

Hence, why I indicated to HA that I don’t ‘trust’ the green box controllers at this point. I inquired in my last email to them if I can leave them disconnected ALL of the time or splice them out. But the only feedback I received was they can send me new controllers or I can connect while charging/discharging-which I replied isn’t obviously an option for me since the location requires completely disassembling the interior of my vehicle. So I’d rather just use an outside source for cooling and leave my doors and hatch open since I live in a mild climate and temps on average are 70’s F during day and 50’s at night. Hottest temps are 90’s and 60’s at night only handful of days per year climate change outta the equation

@S Keith what is your expert advice with regards to my harness questions? I’d rather splice the green boxes out and be left with only the positive and negative cables for the charging/discharging processes. Do you think this will still allow the system to work for the necessary functions minus cooling fans obviously during use?

My cooling fans were cleaned by me during initial harness installation and in 2017 by Toyota dealership and previous owner and are all in good condition with no corrosion on wires visible.

Thanks again for all the advice and help here! I appreciate it very much as I still have much to learn about my first gen HiHy

Old 10-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Here’s link that I referred to above regarding BMS (BCM*) charger hybrid cooling fan controller caused vehicle hybrid cooling fan failure

After reading the post again by @mwillenb I’m almost certain the HA Prolong System has the same defect. I definitely do NOT trust the Prolong harness hybrid cooling fan controller green boxes to maintain SAFE and proper function of my cooling fans after experiencing what I did.

I do not have an alternative solution at this time as I’m not going to disassemble and reassemble my entire car interior to just behind front seats every time I use the Hybrid Automotive System so I need to modify the harness to remove the cooling fan controllers if this is even an option and still be able to use the devices or I suppose to try to sell it though I doubt this will be successful given my version being non Prius. I have not received anymore responses from HA nor from the owner Jeff via Priuschat and am once again very disappointed and offended by the lack of support and technical service once you’ve purchased Hybrid Automotive’s expensive products.

Quick Reply: DIY battery rehab on 2006 HiHy possible?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands