Duplicate key for $300 ?? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Duplicate key for $300 ?? WTF

I got a used 2007 Highlander and the dealer from TX ( I am in CA ) send me only 1 set of keys...I called Toyota of North Hollywood and the guys said it will cost me $300 to make a duplicate one !! The only reason being the car has an engine immboliser system !! WTF ..This is outrageous...any other place to make a dup key?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Duplicate key for $300 ?? WTF

hehehehe, I used to live down the street from those creeps.

Try an automotive locksmith.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
hehehehe, I used to live down the street from those creeps.

Try an automotive locksmith.
can you recco someone in the Burbank , NoHo, Hollywood CA locality ?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The guy I always went to was around the corner from and on the north side of OSH on Victory, just east of the 5-way intersection there in Burbank.

I moved away from there over 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how they are dealing with new tech, but it might be worth a call.

A quick search through Craig's List can sometimes yield interesting results too.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
The guy I always went to was around the corner from and on the north side of OSH on Victory, just east of the 5-way intersection there in Burbank.

I moved away from there over 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how they are dealing with new tech, but it might be worth a call.

A quick search through Craig's List can sometimes yield interesting results too.
Ok thanks..I think I know where that place is..Its in the strip mall which has kragen and Toysrus....I need to check how they handle the new tech with computer programming and all that..

Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

I was at dealers place for something else and casually asked the guy how much he charges for a duplicalte key for 2007 hihy. He said around $150..I said I want to make one..and i also asked for AAA discount and my total for a programmed key came to $137 !! I thought thats a good deal when the NoHO dealership had asked for $300 before... guys did i get a good deal? Thanks