Happy with Highlander Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Happy with Highlander Hybrid?

Are there any place that I can go to get a measure of the overall satisfaction with the Highlander Hybrid. Right now I am the happy owner of a Prius, but may need something bigger. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Happy with Highlander Hybrid?

The HH may be TOO big of a leap.

I fully expect that within a year or two we will see a hybrid Venza using an Atkinsonized DFI version of the new I4. While I HATE to recommend it there is also the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner hybrid and even the Mazda Tribute as an interim measure.

It would be nice to see a hybridized Mazda CX-7, but...

I would not recommend the HH since Toyota seems to chosen the "boy-racer" market space for the RXh and the HH got stuck with the same system. HIGH performance but relatively POOR FE.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

As the owner of a HiHy, and previous owner of RX 330s (and student of the RX 400h) I completely disagree. The HiHy is not the boy-racer that wwest claims that the RX is.

I traded a Camry Hybrid in for the HiHy when it was released, and I'd say it's more a Camry with ground clearance than anything else. With the Camry, my mpg was 32 or so, with the HiHy it's 25 or so, and with the RX 330 it was 18 or so; no change in driving habits or commute across the three vehicles.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The HiHy uses EXACTLY the same HSD, Hybrid Synergy Drive, as does the RXh. Additionally not that it has been made bigger and heavier it seems to me to be an even poorer choice for FE than the RXh.

And keep in mind that if your major use is highway driving that is NOT the HSD's forte'.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Talking Re: Happy with Highlander Hybrid?

Originally Posted by diver110
Are there any place that I can go to get a measure of the overall satisfaction with the Highlander Hybrid. Right now I am the happy owner of a Prius, but may need something bigger. Thanks.

A repeat customer should tell you. I just swapped my 06 HH in on a 08 HH Limited. Love it and would buy again in a heart beat.... and I did

The wife has an 05 Prius and she also will be a repeat customer next year.

Two different vehicles and for two differeent needs and two different sets of mileage results. All highway and looking fro high MPG... Prius, need extra space and carring capacity, HH. The HH STILL out does the standard Highlander in town and on the Highway.

Last edited by Bob259; 03-01-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

WWest, for the 4 cylinder Highlander, what you say is true, it and the hybrid have the same highway rating. However, that shifts for those interested in 4WD. For the 4WD models, the hybrid outperforms the nonhybrid Highlander both in the city and on the highway. Thus the 4WD HH could be a defensible choice regardless of one's driving habits.

Originally Posted by wwest
The HiHy uses EXACTLY the same HSD, Hybrid Synergy Drive, as does the RXh. Additionally not that it has been made bigger and heavier it seems to me to be an even poorer choice for FE than the RXh.

And keep in mind that if your major use is highway driving that is NOT the HSD's forte'.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
WWest, for the 4 cylinder Highlander, what you say is true, it and the hybrid have the same highway rating. However, that shifts for those interested in 4WD. For the 4WD models, the hybrid outperforms the nonhybrid Highlander both in the city and on the highway. Thus the 4WD HH could be a defensible choice regardless of one's driving habits.

Note that Willard doesn't actually OWN a Highlander Hybrid. I do. It's a great truck. You can drive it like you stole it and get 25mpg (like at 80+ average speeds across the deserts of the U.S.) You can drive it for gas mileage and get 30 plus. Mine is an 06 4 wheel drive model. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
... You can drive it like you stole it and get 25mpg (like at 80+ average speeds across the deserts of the U.S.) .... Mine is an 06 4 wheel drive model. I'd recommend it to anyone.
So true, we took our 2006 HiHy 4WD-i on a 1,600 mile trip from OC into AZ a couple of weeks ago and got 25 mpg, driving like you say above.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Mark and Patrick +1
Fantastic - economy and kickass

Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Enthusiast

And besides the HiHy, what other 7 passenger vehicles can get over 25mpg in town? That was a big selling point for our family of 6 when we got our HiHy back in 06. My only gripe is its a bit small, but putting a roof box helped for roadtrips. And if we can keep the speed at 65mph, we can get 28mpg, but it does drop to 25mpg when out on the open roads.

Quick Reply: Happy with Highlander Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands