Highlander hybrid JBL audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Highlander hybrid JBL audio system

Can someone with the JBL audio in there hybrid comment on the sound quality. I have not been about to find any topics done on this yet. I have read on www.jbltoyota.com that the sound system is 440watts wow! I'm really curious on how this sounds.

thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highlander hybrid JBL audio system

Sound Quality....Watts....does not necessarily compute.

You might have stellar fidelity at low and moderate sound output levels but >25% distortion (speaker EOT) when you get to 440 watts.

But if you wish to experiment then I would suggest parking in a quiet basement parking lot, lowering the windows fully, put on a ROUSING Boston Pops CD, turn the sound up and quickly walk away a safe distance (20-30 feet..??) to listen.

You'll probably have about 30 seconds before one of the speaker cones, at least one, departs the voice coil.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Sound Quality....Watts....does not necessarily compute.

You might have stellar fidelity at low and moderate sound output levels but >25% distortion (speaker EOT) when you get to 440 watts.

But if you wish to experiment then I would suggest parking in a quiet basement parking lot, lowering the windows fully, put on a ROUSING Boston Pops CD, turn the sound up and quickly walk away a safe distance (20-30 feet..??) to listen.

You'll probably have about 30 seconds before one of the speaker cones, at least one, departs the voice coil.
Nice to see you are helpful and insightful as usual

Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my opinion the uplevel JBL system in the Toyota line (TCH, THH, etc) is one of the best, if not the best, on the market. After owning a TCH with it and spending a lot of time listening to other systems, I think the JBL is actually better than the Lexus Mark Levinson, even ignoring the big $ the Levinson costs. It is definitely better than the Bose uplevel systems in Infiniti. The Lexus and some Infiniti cars are quieter inside when moving which will blur the difference in actual system quality during driving.

I know this is a subjective matter, but I think the fancier systems (Levinson, Infiniti's Bose, etc) use electronics to muck with the sound too much and I simply prefer to hear what is on the CD/whatever. I also think the Bose systems in many car lines get high marks because they tend to overemphasize/boost the bass.

I have never had the JBL in my TCH anywhere near the point of max volume and/or clipping. I reach the threshold of pain significantly before that. FWIW, I listen to everything from rap to classical regularly.