How do you hypermile in a Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How do you hypermile in a Highlander?

Originally Posted by shiba3420
I don't think my wife would let me strap carboard on the front as a radiator block. Does anyone know if any commercial products exist which do this? I"m thinking it would have to be a car bra, which I'm not fond of, but might be acceptable to the wife.
The radiator block I described is not strapped on in front of the grill and bumper as this would look awful and quite laughable.

It is basically invisible as it is hidden well behind the front grill and directly in front of the radiator. You can't really see it from the front of the vehicle. If you bend down and look beneath the front bumper at the lower air scoop area, you will see a flat black surface instead of the black radiator fins.

There are no commercial solutions that I have found for otherwise blocking the radiator on the Highlander.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensterman
Rudywalker101
...I noticed you added the grill block to your highlander and wanted to know if you could elaborate on the installation. Would it be possible to get a picture? Based on using the tubing maybe you installed the tube over the long slots top center of the bumper?
I have wanted to do this for sometime now but have not found it mentioned anywhere on the web. I am in South eastern PA by the way so this morning it was 15-16 degrees and the block heater would be nice to have right now.

Thanks,
Lenny
Lenny, you are correct, I installed foam tubing over the long slots, borrowing the idea from the Prius folks. Will post a photo in the next few days. There are more agressive options out there to block more of the radiator, from cardboard to "winter fronts" that can be zipped/unzipped, but until I get a Scan Gage, didn't want to try these just yet.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Don R

Note that I use an engine block water heater for about 3-4 hours each morning also.

Don R.

I noticed you put your engine block heater on for 4 hours?
What temperature is your engine block after the time period.

I have my Engne block heater on for 2hours and the engine temperature is around 110 degrees. Is it possible to get the temperature higher leaving the heater on longer?

Lenny

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback on the Grill block heaters.

It looks their a couple of different ways to achieve good results.

Don R or anyone else have a Scangauge along with Grill blocking so we can get an idea how effective your grill blocking solution is at maintaining temperature with the grill block installed?

Thanks,
Lenny

Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensterman
Don R.

I noticed you put your engine block heater on for 4 hours?
What temperature is your engine block after the time period.

I have my Engne block heater on for 2hours and the engine temperature is around 110 degrees. Is it possible to get the temperature higher leaving the heater on longer?

Lenny
Based on my 4.5 hr cycle, I'm estimating that the HiHy EBH is capable of a 40C increase at most. If outside temp is 5C (41F), you would see coolant temps around 45C (114F) at start. If someone who has a ScanGage can confirm with data, that would be a help.

Also have attached a photo of my bumper foam grill insert.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
HiHy_Bumper_Grille_Block.doc (225.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input Rudywalke101.
The picture helps alot.
Now I am trying to decide which to use the tubing and/or grill block?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lenny

Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
igh
NAH Owner

Just bought a 2008 HH limited and had a question.
Assuming the car is completely warmed up and the
traction battery is full, what is the max cruising speed
in EV mode and what is the range possible say at around
70F ambient temperature?

Thanks.

igh

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 HiHy hypermiling and pulse and glide

I am a newbie and looking for fuel econ tips and have perused all of the threads and posts but not sure what applies to my 2008 Highlander Hybrid base model, (no nav.)?
1. any tips and links for max fuel econ are appreciated - I do 75% suburban driving - mainly flat terrain - the rest is highway
2. where do I find the engine block heater or battery heaters I have seen discussed?

I have just short of 1000 miles and am getting about 22.5 mpg in this cold weather.

thanks to all. . . . Since I am a newbie (besides ICE which I understand), please spell out other acronyms for me . .

Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

I learned about blocking the radiator with cardboard on a Chevy pickup I had. It was there to warm the cab up quicker BUT I forget to remove it in summer. It got to be over 90 deg F (Madison, WI) and the over heated engine blew out the freeze core plugs (luckily that was the only damage).

I am not sure about the repercussions of cardboard or foam on the HiHy IF one forgets to remove it in summer.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

From my ICE monitoring with car chip, as long as ambient temp is under 70F, coolant temps stay under 195 F. Above 70 F, radiator block should be removed.