Increased Tire Wear????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Increased Tire Wear????

I have a 2007 Limited Edition Highlander Hybrid. The original tires are Goodyear Integrity. I had to replace two tires at 15K (one was covered by Road Hazard, so no big deal there) and I just replaced the other two at 20K. Tire pressure and alignment were not an issue. The service manager told me, and I don't know if it's just a line or not, that they noticed tires wearing faster on hybrids, and thought it might be due to the increased vehicle weight due to the batteries. I'm not sure I buy that as there is only about a 300 pound curb weight difference.
Has anyone else noticed faster than normal tire wear with their hybrid? Any recommendations on longer lasting tires?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Increased Tire Wear????

Let me guess! was it the rear tires that expired first? Usually there is no way to align the rear tires short of attaching chains and stretching the unibody or chassis frame. If it was ther rear tires than the alignement may be the problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Let me guess! was it the rear tires that expired first? Usually there is no way to align the rear tires short of attaching chains and stretching the unibody or chassis frame. If it was ther rear tires than the alignement may be the problem.

Toe-in is fully adjustable on the rear wheels of the Highlander. Camber is not adjustable on the rear but toe-in error contributes the most to premature tire wear. On the front wheels, toe-in and camber are adjustable.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my Highlander - the alignment was way off but it didn't exhibit any of the typical symptoms such as uneven tire wear patterns or pulling to one side.

If you suspect rapid tire wear, it is wise to have the alignment checked.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

I had the tires rotated at 5k intervals, so really didn't notice whether the tires were on the front or back. The wear on the tires was even, so I didn't think alignment was an issue, but then again, the shop never suggested that it could be! I never knew an alignment issue could have even wear.
Thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

20K on oem tires is not uncommon. I wouldn't be worried about it. I have 27K on my OEM's and they are right at 2/32. that is why I paid for the 100K tire warranty. It already paid for itself.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by deadacated1
I have a 2007 Limited Edition Highlander Hybrid. The original tires are Goodyear Integrity. I had to replace two tires at 15K (one was covered by Road Hazard, so no big deal there) and I just replaced the other two at 20K. Tire pressure and alignment were not an issue. The service manager told me, and I don't know if it's just a line or not, that they noticed tires wearing faster on hybrids, and thought it might be due to the increased vehicle weight due to the batteries. I'm not sure I buy that as there is only about a 300 pound curb weight difference.
Has anyone else noticed faster than normal tire wear with their hybrid? Any recommendations on longer lasting tires?
Thanks in advance!
My experience is with smaller versions of the same tire on a Prius. These are inexpensive tires with soft sidewalls so they tend to scrub the edges in aggressive turns. Increasing the psi helps (stay below the MAX rated PSI listed on the tire), but I found that better tires fixes the problem (Michelin MXV4+ and now Nokian WR - I'm at 125,00 miles and half way through the Nokians).

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 07-31-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deadacated1
Any recommendations on longer lasting tires?
Hello deadacated1, you should check out a low rolling resistant tire for your 2007 Limited Edition Highlander Hybrid. I would suggest the Nokian WR G2 SUV 225/65R17 assuming you have the OEM size:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/showproduc...&ProdVar=62381

Just released to North America! Also, this tire has a 50,000 limited treadwear warranty. These are the direct replacement for the Nokian WR. I think you will love these tires.

-Josh

Old 08-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Our first set was Goodyear Integrity. At 15,00 we started to be concerned about safety, with the tread down to 5/32. We hung on to 3/32 for the warranty, however I don't know if we can do that again. Now have Mich. LX4 and wearing a little better but still fast and will not reach advertised mileage life. Bottom-line I do believe tires go fast on the Highlander. (Rotation/Pressure OK never aligned)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

Just returned from a 15K service and was warned about wear on my Goodyear Integrity tires. Always rotated at 5k intervals and drive conservatively. Looks like I may make 20K. 2007 Limited 4x Hybrid.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

See my post about premature tire wear on the integritys and how to get a credit from the Mfg

Quick Reply: Increased Tire Wear????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands