Just purchased HH Ltd 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just purchased HH Ltd 4X4

I am hoping that as the numbers of owners increases, that Highlanders and RX400h will be separated out in this forum.
We have just taken delivery of our second Hybrid car. My boyfriend was so impressed with my HAH and so sick of his '98 Ford Explorer (both performance-bad brakes, tires, rollovers, engine racing - etc and poor gas mileage) that we began looking for a replacement for him. He would have replaced his car sooner, but just never could find the right "fit". His first requirement was he had to have an SUV. His second requirement was that it could not be a Ford (sorry FEH owners, but already we are seeing complaints reported in this forum). The Acura MDX was the only car at the auto show that seemed to interest him, but he was not interested in a car that required premium gas at today's gas prices.

He kind of gave up (I chauffeur him around a lot, like I said he really likes my HAH) until I started researching the Highlander. I was a little concerned that it might be too small for a 6'6" big guy, but that turned out to not be the case. We test drove the non-hybrid version before we made our decision, but what really sealed the deal was our dealership happened to have one on their lot that they let us test drive! No other dealer (and there were about 5 to choose from) did that. We ordered ours that day and only waited 2 weeks to get his car. He ordered through the fleet department, so he paid MSRP on both the car and the extra accessories he wanted. There was no negotiation, no matter what I tried. And while he is still "shell" shocked about the sticker price, he absolutely loves it! It has the fit and finish of a Lexus for about $10K less. It has unbelieveably smooth acceleration.

It will be a while before I am able to report gas mileage, but we are going to be happy with anything over the 14.9 he was getting with his Explorer. He is going on vacation (fishing for 3 weeks) so the car will be sitting during that time.

More to come.

Jason - I am not sure if many on this forum realize what an accomplishment it is to get into Rice. It is the Harvard/Yale of the south. Good luck to you! (except when the Owls play the Longhorns)

Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: Just purchased HH Ltd 4X4

Ilene,
Haha, well then thanks for realizing It's a great school and I'm extremely excited.
Glad you like your Highlander. The Highlander and RX hybrids are pretty identical in technology. The only difference is the actual presentation. If the combined forums become too busy, I'll separate them, but for now they seem to be okay and and everyone could likely benefit from topics about the opposite car.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Just purchased HH Ltd 4X4

ilene,
Welcome to GreenHybrid and thanks for the background on your HH. I just got done test driving one for a week. It's a nice ride, not only for the driver but for passengers as well.