Ready to make the plunge, some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ready to make the plunge, some questions...

Ok I'm ready to replace my 98 Expedition and I think I've decided on a HiHy. See, I've already got the lingo down Anyway, here is what I think I want, and some questions:

Limited model - I would like leather seats and wood trim.

3rd row - Do I really need it? I hear it's tiny. Also, when it's folded "flat", is it really FLAT? as in if I fold the 2nd row down as well is the entire back a flat area?

AWD - I read the post on snow/ice. I figure if I'm sticking with an SUV I'd like one that won't get me stuck in a little bad weather.

Navigation - Is the Toyota system good? Should I just get a 3rd party navigation? I have a laptop so I could use that with a GPS puck as well. However, is the information you get regarding the engine/battery use on the navigation screen truly helpful?? That would be a big reason to consider this I think.

Towing - I figure if I had to pick, I'd get the towing package. It sounds like the HiHy can tow a decent amount, and I don't tow much but I like to have the option.

Spoiler - What package is this in? I think the car looks a little too mini-vanish without it.

Tint - How good is the factory tint job? Worth it?

Ok what else??? I've never purchased a new car (had 3 used ones) so I'm really excited/nervous about the process. I would like to take advantage of the current 4.9% financing for 48 months and the tax credit though.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I'm really excited about this vehicle.

OH, one other thing - should I wait for the 2008???? For those of you that own a HiHy already, what is new on the 2008 that you would have liked to have?? I really want to get a new car soon but I don't want to be stuck driving the "old model" once a new one comes out. I did that with an old Explorer once and I remember feeling like a dinosaur on the road next to the new body style!

Last edited by johnnymack; 02-14-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ready to make the plunge, some questions...

Well, I don't like leather so I don't have the limited but...

I have the 4wdi and in the foothills of Colorado, I'm glad I have it.

Can't comment on navigation.

Towing - I'm with you, don't use it much but it's nice to have the capability.

I believe the spoiler is default with the limited - was part of the (one and only) option package with the 2006 base model.

Tint - don't know, the default is fairly dark in the rear, didn't see a need for any additional tint.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on your decision. First I would recommend the 2008, without actually having been inside one. I have a 2006 (same as 2007) Limited with Nav, standard third row, spoiler, transmission cooler, tint (All standard but NAV).

As for the specific answers re 2006/7

Third row is adequate for a smaller SUV - disappears into floor, no room for tall people. 2nd row does not fold flat. If you need to ask, you probably don't need the extra seats.

Nav is made by Eclipse mated to a JBL amp. Toyota cut out various functions. I would have liked all of the features that offers, specifically a rear view camera.

All you need is a hitch and wires, tranny cooler is standard.

So why the 2008? It's bigger, so the transition from the Expedition won't be so hard. MPG's are purportedly the same. There might be a MFD included, which would allow for flexibility concerning lost features with an aftermarket Nav. The styling is a matter of choice - 2008 is a Big RAV4 to me. You will probably pay alot more right now for the 2008 vs 2007. I'd guess about 3-4K.

My suggestion is to go to the Auto Show, if it is near you. Check out the 2008 and compare with the 2007 at the dealership.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

I've got an 06' HiHy with the tier 3 package. It's an AWD with third row seating, bug deflector and spoiler. There are no leather seats (I just don't like the slipperyness), nor the navigation, but the first thing I did right out of the lot is drove it over to my local mobile electronics shop and had the nav installed. In the time I've had my vehicle, I've only used the third row once, spoiler is standard, so I could care less, but the AWD is great in Minnesota and I do go off-road with my vehicle. I ended up financing @ 3.9% for 60 months (toyota financial) and my payments after trade are ~$510/month. I would recommend the factory nav, because it ends up being the same price, but I would make sure you can play with the unit ahead of time. Navigation units are kind of tricky. Because it is considered unsafe to operate navigation while driving (ie., finding a route during rush hour), most nav systems are hooked up with a speed sensor so that only while at a complete stop can you change or input addresses and information. If you find an install company willing to bypass the speed sensor making the car think it is always in park, then you can use it. Keep in mind though that this does void manufacturer warranty. I was driving when all of a sudden the warning lights for my traction control, ABS, and system warning lights all came on. I immediately drove to the dealership, and after checking the all wheel drive, saw the giant screw that was bypassing the speed sensor, and said that was causing it, I was out $72 dollars, but the problem was fixed. I love my nav though.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies! I might go by today to check some out. I have read that you can bypass the speed restrictions on the Nav unit by a few button pushes. Even though you would have to do this each time you got in the car it seems like it would make the system MUCH more valuable. Anyone know if this button sequence works on the 2007 unit? Maybe I will testdrive and try it out

I don't think I want the 08 features enough to wait 8 months and spend likely 4-6k more than I can right now. Plus the good financing that is available and the $1300 tax credit make now a good time to buy it seems like!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
me2
Enthusiast

The built in GPS has less features and is overpriced compared to aftermarket, portable ones.

I personally don't think the pseudo 4WD (rear is electric only) is worth the extra cost and weight if you drive in civilized areas.

Try one of the online no-haggle price places (I used autobytel.com myself). Certainly don't pay more than the TMV price listed at edmunds.com.