Self-Installed Rear Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 PM
me2
Enthusiast
Default Self-Installed Rear Backup Camera

I picked up a rear backup camera kit from Pep Boys for $100 (VR3 model VRBCS300). It comes with a color camera, LCD screen and cables. The connections require some hard wiring though, so this kit isn't for novices.

After various experiments with camera placement, I decided to mount the camera on the bottom of the license plate (like the manufacturer recommends). I then ran the cable underneath the license plate, and up where the left license plate light is. After temporarily unscrewing this light, I drilled a hole thru the steel so I could feed the cable to the vehicle interior. I sealed the hole with paint and silicone afterwards, and replaced the light.

I had to remove the plastic trim on the deck lid interior. It takes some muscle and slight care as the trim is mounted using plastic push tabs. After I had the trim off, I then ran the cable up around the side and top (see photo).

Now the camera cable is just long enough to reach the top of the deck lid. The other end of the cable bundle (which connects the camera, power, and monitor) I shoved in that little compartment behind the left brake light. Luckily the end of the camera cable has a standard 1/8" stereo plug, so I used a 6' headphone extension cable to bridge the gap between the camera and the cable bundle. This cable bridge moves when you open the trunk, so if it wears out, you can just replace the extension cable without having to rerun all the other cables.

As for power, I used a cigarette lighter Y cable and spliced into that. You need to connect to +12V, ground, and rear-light +12V. The latter is necessary if you want the system to only be used when you're in reverse.

There's a long cable for the LCD monitor (10-12'), which allows you to mount the LCD somewhere on the dash. I did run this cable to the front, tucking it into various nooks and crannies, and under floor mats. But after using it, I decided the best mount for me right now is with the screen on the back seat. That way when I turn my head to look behind me, I can also glance at the screen, looking for anything unusual.

Note the orange bottle in the above photo to use as a visual reference.

As for actual use, it's decent. Now I can see if there's something behind me (unless it's close to the bumper). The moire pattern on the LCD in the above photo is not visible when you're looking at the screen in person. If the sun is behind you (shining into the camera), the camera will be blinded. Also at night, you can't see anything on the screen unless it's brightly illuminated. But otherwise the image is fine for most daylight situations.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Self-Installed Rear Backup Camera

My guess is that you can see the rear bumper if the camera is relocated at the upper bracket of the license plate and the camera angled downward, just like the RX400h. The camera would also be better protected from the elements in that location.

You don't need the view of the horizon in your camera since you can see it yourself through the back window.

Last edited by drmperalta; 08-29-2006 at 09:12 PM.