Thoughts on upgrading from 05 Highlander Hybrid to 09 Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thoughts on upgrading from 05 Highlander Hybrid to 09 Highlander Hybrid

Longtime forum lurker wanting to send out this post to see what everyone's thoughts are in regards to the feasibility of upgrading from an 06' Highlander Hybrid (2WD base model) to an 09' Highlander Hybrid Limited.

We recently had our second child and have found out that the lack of rear A/C in the current 06' Hybrid is a detriment to these hot and humid Texas summers, so we are thinking of upgrading to an 09' Limited and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are and if this upgrade would really make a lot of sense.

Reasons we are considering the upgrade
- larger rear (third row) capacity than what we are currently getting w/ the 06' Hybrid base - Does the 08/09 really have a noticeable difference in shoulder & leg room
- Rear A/C +++++
- Rear view backup camera in the 08/09 (is this a standard option?)
- Do the newer Highlander have higher fuel consumption (and apx. by how much? than the 05')? - The 06' was a 2WD and everything I read on the 08/09 is they are AWD

Looking for any and all responses and happily 'unlurking' myself

Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Thoughts on upgrading from 05 Highlander Hybrid to 09 Highlander Hybrid

I swapped my 06 HH in for a 08 HH left over this spring. The 08/09's are much larger, lots more room, better ride, more features. You would be VERY happy.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thoughts on upgrading from 05 Highlander Hybrid to 09 Highlander Hybrid

The improvements in the HSD system in the new Prius and the 2010 RX450H or pretty vast, might be worth the wait to see them in the HH.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

09 Hybrid heavier with same engine, but new generation hybrid system. Heavier with all the reasons mentioned the reason (larger, more room, rear a/c) etc., One drawback you missed is view from rear window decreased and L&R rear corner blindspots increased to allow for adding the autmatic tail gate lifts & etc. Other post I've seen concluded mileage loss due to more weight is mostly offset by new generation hybrid system, so net is about 1mpg loss.

Other thing, if your new HH has NAV you have new generation NAV as compared to 06/07 and will find you will be much happier with some of the version upgrades from V4 to V5 -- especially the ability to control the AC should NAV fail.

Chuck

Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Just what were the upgrades to the HSD from the 2006/2007 model to 2008/2009 model that are responsible for better efficiency?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

As I understand it a major design change to the hybrid portion of the system, parallels the prius "3d generation" change.

There are a lot of neat consmetic changes to the 08/09 Highlander, but my wife objected to sucking up all the depreciation associated with buying a new model year car. So the 2006 fit our pocket book, especially when I bought one outside Phoenix AZ at $7K less than they wanted here in Las Vegas -- and it came with running boards and some interior enhancements that I didn't see here. I think the first "owner" added the running boards at his cost, but the extra "factory wood" trim on the interior seems to have been something the Toyota region supporting Arizona added as a push to sell the HHLtd.

So far I haven't had one reason to rethink our decision.

Love the car. It replaced my 1993 Camry XLE Wagon I sold having 220K Miles. My wife just wanted on she would worry about less on long trips while my main objective was driver to and from work, you can see who's concern won out ;-)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

I recently aquired a 2006 highlander hybrid and am still trying to sort out all the technical differences of the different toyota HSD systems

THere are schematics of three different generations of HSD systems shown at;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

I understand the concept and workings of the first generation system with just one sun/planet/ring gear, but can anyone provide a further reference or explain the operation and rational of the second generation (G2) system employing two sets of sun/planet/ring gears, and the G3 system that adds yet another sun and planet to the second ring gear of the G2 system. What is the ring gear of the second sun/planet/ring arrangement attached to on the G2 and G3 systems?
The wikipedia article says that the G3 system will not debeut until the arrival of the 2010 prius so I would assume that all 2006-2008 highlanders use the G2 configuration with two sun/planet/ring systems, or did earlier highlander models use the first generation PSD with just one sun/planet/ring?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JSuppi
Reasons we are considering the upgrade
- larger rear (third row) capacity than what we are currently getting w/ the 06' Hybrid base - Does the 08/09 really have a noticeable difference in shoulder & leg room
- Rear A/C +++++
- Rear view backup camera in the 08/09 (is this a standard option?)
- Do the newer Highlander have higher fuel consumption (and apx. by how much? than the 05')? - The 06' was a 2WD and everything I read on the 08/09 is they are AWD

Looking for any and all responses and happily 'unlurking' myself
- how often do you really use the 3rd row, and are the kiddies you put back there that fat that they complain about shoulder room? non-issue.
- is their an invisible force in your car that prevents the A/C from reaching the backseat. let the kids "suffer" an extra minute till the cooler air reaches them.
- is a rear backup camera something we really need? these are not tractor trailers we're driving. mirrors are there for a reason. use them.
- fuel consumption is essentially the same.

as far as i can tell, you'd just be trading up to a new car to keep up with the jones'. in america we have this irrational obsession on changing cars every 3 years or so & frankly it's ridiculous. basically, you end up eating the vehicles greatest period of depreciation for no real reason except vanity. if you really want to do the environment (and your wallet) a favor you'd drive your hihy for 200K. that's my plan anyway.

do not take offense - i am the devil's advocate.

Last edited by petesell; 08-14-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camping climate control 2020 Highlander Hybrid

Does the Hylander Hybrid have the same ability to provide overnight climate control as the Prius? I would like the additional space and ground clearance of the HiHy, but I don’t want to lose the ability of heating and cooling in ready mode overnight.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. It just uses a lot more gas for it than the Prius, probably 2-3X.