Tips on replacing oil on a Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tips on replacing oil on a Highlander Hybrid

Hey folks,

I just changed the oil on a 2008 Highlander Hybrid for the first time and it was a relatively painless procedure. The customer that dropped off the car left parts selection up to me so I picked up a $4 OEM filter from toyotapartseast.com, $25 or so for the 5 quarts of 0w20 oil stipulated in the owner's manual and I charged $20 for labour so the total job cost $49. Honestly, you should be able to perform this job yourself so you really only have to pay for the oil filter, oil and beer

The oil filter is accessible from above without any tools. Note: If you possess a physique not unlike that of the Incredible Hulk then your hands may not fit to grasp the oil filter with the shield still in place. The shield is easily removed, however, attached via two 10mm bolts & one 10mm nut.

The oil pan is straight forward, Remove the 14 mm bolt and it should be free.

The oil drain with the addition of the Fumoto valve (This allows draining of the oil pan without use of a 14mm tool. Also prevents possible stripping of the nut from normal use, and the need for future crush washers) is also now performed without any tools. I highly recommend using this valve.

Looks like the only tool needed would be the funnel to easily pour the oil into the engine -- here is a tip, get a 'smaller' sized funnel that would fit through the hoses. Or you can use a big one like I did, but scrunch it up so it fits through the hoses, either way works.

To increase oil drain, park with the rear end lower than the front end, or simply jack the front of the vehicle up using the jack point referenced in the Owner's Manual.

Don't forget to reset the oil change interval, by 1) Ensure trip is on "A" 2) With vehicle off, hold the "Trip Reset" switch down and turn power on to "2" / Accessories (the click before the engine starts). 3) Continue holding down till the MFD display indicates successful reset.

This procedure is also in the Owner's Manual.

If you have a navigation system, you can also program a variety of maintenance intervals.

Hope this helps someone out!