Took the Highlander Hybrid offroad again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Took the Highlander Hybrid offroad again...

Last weekend I was up at Big Bear and managed to find a few super long trails/fire roads up into the mtns.
I have 4wd and though it's only touted as minimally helpful, there wasn't any area I couldn't go. I actually found the limits of the rear electric system. Good to know IMO. Now, I wasn't rock crawling or hangin the suspension, but there was some nice sand, rutted tracks, and steep woop-dee-doos. I definately went some places a 2wd would not have been able to get.

anyone else taken their rig offroad or am I the only one that uses an SUV with 4wd for what it's designed for? (beyond snow, and don't say it's technically a 'car on frame' design.)

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Took the Highlander Hybrid offroad again...

I know alot of places my 04" Chevrolet Tahoe will go but my i4WD Highlander Hybrid won't go, the Highlander's 4WD system is stupid to even be called 4WD in my opinion, it gives the wrong impression, it's more like all weather AWD system to help traction in light snow, mud, and wet take off's. It's great though for "light" offroad conditions. But not for serious offroading like a Tahoe can do.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

I absolutely agree. It's for 'light' offroading only. But that's the trade off we make for now until someone gets savvy with a hybrid and low torque. Maybe we'll see a diesel hybrid in the next few years with a low gear etc...

here's hoping.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea that would be awsome for a diesel hybrid. This HH's i4WD is awsome though.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 AM
HypoFueler

Come on Chrysler/JEEP - produce a hybrid or higher FE Diesel PATRIOT or WRANGLER....

I bet they would sell like hotcakes - at least I would own one.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well it is 4WDi for one thing. And who takes the Highlander off-road? Wouldn't a 4Runner or an Xterra be a better choice?

The point of the Highlander is provide AWD traction when needed. I think comparing the regular 4x4 Highlander to the 4WDi on the HiHy would be a better comparison.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

First off - a unibody SUV was not "designed" to go off-road.

Second, you're voiding your warranty by doing so. Great way to maintain your $50k vehicle - what's your VIN so I know not to buy it used someday down the road?

Old 06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I'm no lawyer but I think there's some wiggle room in the definition of 'off-road'.

I would be interested to hear about a the regular 4x4 of the highlander, except that it's also designed with the same unibody construction.

Xterra/4Runner get about 19mpg remember? If they put out a 4Runner Hybrid with a true 4x4 system I'd trade in my Highlander in about 2 minutes!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Great way to maintain your $50k vehicle - what's your VIN so I know not to buy it used someday down the road? [/quote]

50K!! what? I didn't pay 50K for my Hihy?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

w@ntonsoup has an RX400h, so he probably paid ~$50K for his car.

I hope that HiHy 4WD-i owners who go "off-road" avoid driving through streams; don't think MGR will like being immersed in water.

Quick Reply: Took the Highlander Hybrid offroad again...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands