understanding fueleconomy.gov

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default understanding fueleconomy.gov

Thanks to Geekgal, I checked out fueleconomy.gov. It has emission standards for different cars. Sometimes, without explanation, it lists two or three different standards for the same car (for a Volvo v70, it had, 6, 7, and 9.5). Can anyone explain what the different standards relate to?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: understanding fueleconomy.gov

Here's a link to the original thread, for reference.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Are you refering to the regional ratings? Though it's the same model, there are actually differences made to meet emissions standards for certain areas, like California emissions, rather than meet the strictest for a universal distribution, they make several different emission class of the same make, to be sold in different areas of the country.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 PM

You mentioned in the other thread that my explanation matched yours, but I don't think it does. Yours makes more sense, however.

You mention that actual differences exist in the same make/model/year depending on where that vehicle is being sold, to meet the (selling location's) emissions standards. I take that to mean my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD, purchased in the state of Texas, is not a SULEV -- only those purchased in CA and the other states shown on the fueleconomy.gov chart?

That's a little depressing, though I guess I can see the economics of it (though it'd be nice if there were a cost savings passed on the consumer... if we're actually getting a "less clean" vehicle than what's available had we purchased our vehicle in another state.)

Or am I completely misreading your explanation?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 PM

you can dig through the green vehicle guide, which links in great detail to all the ratings, where they are in effect, and how they crossover among regions.

http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/

for the V70 in particular, the score differs between 2WD, AWD, 5spd, 6spd, auto, stick,2.4L and 2.5L, green state, and non green state. The guide sometimes lists more variants than are actually available for retail- it lists all models that the maker has submited results for.

There are 2 scores for each vehicle- pollution index and greenhouse gas index. Again, the website explains what goes into each rating.

If you ever get a few hours to kill, I highly recommend going through the EPA's sites in great detail. The greenvehicle guide, as well as the pages about fuel regulations and how they affect nearly everything from mileage to pollution to prices. It's confusing at first , and you almost need to sketch a flowchart to keep it straight, but once you get it, so many things about fuel and emissions policy become far clearer- and you'll know exactly where to go to get the straight answer.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels.htm

Last edited by gonavy; 04-12-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Go Navy. That was very helpful. So the first number is pollution and the second green house gases. I noticed that for most of the country, the HyHi's numbers are good, but not outstanding. Even the Prius is not as good as I would have expected in most of the country. Makes you feel like buying a car in MA or CA and driving it home (for me MD). I wonder if the less polluting versions do not perform as well.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 AM

It won't do you much good to do that, unless the vehicle is PZEV, in which case that just means the fuel system is sealed up to prevent evaporation. (People here have done just that, for exactly that reason alone)

The difference in scores for a given car- same engine, tranny, combustion (lean burn or not), etc is entiurely due to the clean states using low-sulphur "CBG" (clean-burning gas). The same car tested with regualr gas and CBG/low-sulphur fuel will be different. I forgot to put that in previously- sorry.

So buying a SULEV-rated car in NY and bringing it here to MD does nothing for you unless you have access to the right type of fuel. Same reason why the PZEV 150K/10yr warrantee is invalid for PZEV vehicles operated outside the clean states.

But there's hope- low-sulphur fuel will soon be the national standard- phase-in begins this summer, and will be complete ~2008.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Still more good information! Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:06 AM

Fabulous thread! I love learning more about this stuff. Thanks for the clarifications, additional resources/references, and info, all!