What is the lowest RR tire available for the HiHy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What is the lowest RR tire available for the HiHy?

It looks like I will have to replace my OEM tires after only 21K miles (pretty crappy performance by the Goodyear Integrities huh?). GY may still replace them (pro-rated I assume) but I am trying to determine which tires are the BEST at lowering the rolling resistance. Price may or may not be a factor but the LRR ration is the MOST important. Anyone know of a (free, internet-based) chart that shows an outline of all these types of tires? None of the typical internet suspects (discount tire, tire rack, etc) offer any type of sort based on "rolling resistance" so I thought I'd ask here.

Responses like "I liked my XYZ tires and got 2 gazillion miles out of them" are of absolutely NO value here so don't bother posting such jiberish. I am seeking cold hard FACTS and details, not opinions.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: What is the lowest RR tire available for the HiHy?

I've not found any cold hard facts. Heck, I'm driving an '08 HiHy Limited with 19 inch Toyo Open Country A20 tires, and can't even find them on Toyo's website.

Good luck getting the FACTS.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your post was actually VERY factual. I did not know that Toyota was using Toyo now for their tires. If this is the Open Country H/T then it's also got a tread wear rating (640) which is significantly higher than the Integrities (460). This adds that tire as an option on my "search". THANKS!

I found these online at tiredeals4less and they are comparable to others as far as price goes $101 + shipping but I haven't been able to confirm if they are "low rolling resistance" tires or not and if so what their LRR factor is.

The models we (Green Seal's "Green Report") tested had rolling resistance coefficients ranging from 0.0062 to 0.0152. We recommend models with an RRC of 0.0105 or less, recognizing that low values are somewhat more difficult to achieve on larger, heavier tires than on smaller, lighter weight models.

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-22-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:45 AM
HypoFueler

Dont know of an internet table that ranks LRRs yet.

Since I do press my tires up to near max sidewall, I looked for ones with higher sidewall ratings as well. Got Michelin MXV4 for my HCH2 with sidewall max of 51psi, versus many others at 44psi.

Also, having alignment checked (19k miles) next week as the first set of Dunlops wore out pretty quickly.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Your post was actually VERY factual. I did not know that Toyota was using Toyo now for their tires. If this is the Open Country H/T then it's also got a tread wear rating (640) which is significantly higher than the Integrities (460). This adds that tire as an option on my "search". THANKS!

I found these online at tiredeals4less and they are comparable to others as far as price goes $101 + shipping but I haven't been able to confirm if they are "low rolling resistance" tires or not and if so what their LRR factor is.

The models we (Green Seal's "Green Report") tested had rolling resistance coefficients ranging from 0.0062 to 0.0152. We recommend models with an RRC of 0.0105 or less, recognizing that low values are somewhat more difficult to achieve on larger, heavier tires than on smaller, lighter weight models.
The Toyo's on my HiHy aren't listed anywhere on the Toyo website. They're Open Country A20 with ratings of 300 treadlife, A temp, A traction. Even TireRack.com shows a different tire from Bridgestone as the OEM tire.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

And now that we've had a dose of FACT, here's an opinion. I think the rolling resistance of my '08 HiHy is lower (Toyo's) than my '07 Camry Hybrid (Michelin MXV4 S8's). But that may more be that there's more mass moving than anything to do with the tires.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yokohama YK520's ($125/tire @ Discount Tire) appear to be (at least) a step or two above the Goodyear Integrity's and are priced about $25/tire under the Goodyear Fortera and/or the Michelin LX4's ($158 & $152/tire respectively). The ONLY thing I know about these tires is that they have fairly long warranties. Then again, the Integrity's had a 50K warranty and are worn out here @ 21K miles so who really knows. It is frustrating that nobody (appears) to measure rolling resistance for tires. At least it appears that one state is taking a stance to get this information into the consumers hands...
http://www.energy.ca.gov/reports/200...-001F-VOL1.PDF

Here's the best article. Page 60 or so appears the most relevant to today (but the data is still from 2002)

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-26-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Consumer Reports has rolling resistance information for the tires that they have tested. They use their funky little colored circles and half circles to put the test group on a relative scale.

the Fortera HL is rated poor. The Michelin XC LTV is reated very good.

The contitrac suv and the michelin cross terrain are rated excellent.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

MMooney - Thanks for the attempt but it looks like the Comsumer reports version would not be of any help to us trying to decide on a tire that will work for out Highlanders as they don't "appear" to make ANY of those tires (with the exception of the $180 Michelin Cross Terrains) you listed in our sizes. I did not buy the Fortera HL is (but I also suspect that the triple tread version I do have is also probably similarily ranked). If you do have a subscription and wouldn't mind re-checking the report to see if any of the tires that do fit this vehicle were included in their research, it may help other Highlander owners (listed in my preference):

1) Yokohama YK520 (or to a lesser interst the AVID H4S or Geolander A/T-S)
2) Goodyear Fortera TripleTred
3) Continental 4x4 contact
4) Bridgestone EL400-02 (I had these on another car and they are HORENDOUS)
5) Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
6) Firestone Destination LE

... and how these might match up to the stock GY Integrity's and/or Michelin LX4's

Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

well, the OEM wheel size is so weird (for North America) that when I went with snow tires I had them mounted on 18-inch alloy wheels (and the TPMS). Not cheap. But now I have way more tire options.

I have liked the Michelin MXV4 tires on my Audi and they were OEM on my Camry hybrid so I wonder how they would do on the Highlander.

Sorry this isn't the hard-data info you might seek.

The OEM wheel size on the 2008 HyHi is more common in Japan. I wonder if any Japanese-market tire evaluations would help you. Alas, I am completely illiterate when it comes to Japanese these days...

Quick Reply: What is the lowest RR tire available for the HiHy?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands