When do you fill your HyHi's tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default When do you fill your HyHi's tank?

I was wondering when folks fill their gas tanks? I usually fill at the 3/4 empty mark. I am pretty happy with my millage so far (29 mpg) but I wonder if I could squeeze any more out of her with the weight reduction of waiting closer to empty?

Any thoughts?

Kace

Old 11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When do you fill your HyHi's tank?

Since my commute is 40 miles one way and my preferred gas station is "down the hill" (1/2 way or more to work).... I tend to fill up at 3/4 tank or there-abouts. With winter, I tend to be even more conservative

edited to add that's 3/4 tank USED!

Last edited by Shiloh; 11-29-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haladek
I was wondering when folks fill their gas tanks? I usually fill at the 3/4 empty mark. I am pretty happy with my millage so far (29 mpg) but I wonder if I could squeeze any more out of her with the weight reduction of waiting closer to empty?

Any thoughts?

Kace
One of the Engineering comments from Ford during their Hybrid clinic was that they noticed about zero FE difference keeping the tank full vs 1/2 or 1/4, IIRC. The weight of gas in the FEH (or any vehicle) is a very small fraction of gross vehicle weight. 10gal weighs 65lbs vs the vehicle at 3600lbs. Many people shift more weight than that in/out of the car every day just going through real life, so the fuel weight is lost in the noise.

As for me, the HAH's idiot light comes on with 4 gal remaining...2 days of commuting for me.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haladek

Any thoughts?

Kace
Well I normally fill up when I get down between a quarter to half a tank, closer to quarter in the winter to avoid condensation and water build up. I choose to never run my tanks very low, with the new in tank electric fuel pumps the gas actually cools the pump motor, your less likely to pick up any water in your tank (from condensation) and never have to worry about running out..

Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 AM
EMO
HiHy Lover

I am getting around 27 for my ToyHiHy which has about 800 miles on it. I usually fill at about 5 gals left...just before the idiot light comes on since I don't like being reminded of my mental capacity.

My question is -- Does anyone use "Top Tier" high-detergent-containing gas companies, http://www.toptiergas.com/ or do you use any gas that you come across? Any difference for mileage or maintenence in other words? Toyota is listed as recommending Top Tier, but my dealer doesn't seem to know much about it.

Also, I use 87 octane. Better mileage (is it worth it) at 91?

Thanks! This is a fun group.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMO
I am getting around 27 for my ToyHiHy which has about 800 miles on it. I usually fill at about 5 gals left...just before the idiot light comes on since I don't like being reminded of my mental capacity.

My question is -- Does anyone use "Top Tier" high-detergent-containing gas companies, http://www.toptiergas.com/ or do you use any gas that you come across? Any difference for mileage or maintenence in other words? Toyota is listed as recommending Top Tier, but my dealer doesn't seem to know much about it.

Also, I use 87 octane. Better mileage (is it worth it) at 91?

Thanks! This is a fun group.
Though I can't find the thread right now, search the forums for Dave Harville's response re: toptier gas. His due diligence casts a suspicious light on them- a very circular chain of contact people/addresses.

edit: here's the thread.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...2992#post32992

Last edited by gonavy; 11-30-2005 at 05:40 AM. Reason: found thread
Old 11-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Question Different grades of gas and mileage results

Has anyone tried and did a comparision of MPG on the different grades of gas; Regular, Mid-Grade Special and Premium. I know the manual says for best performance use the Premium, but at 20+ cents a gallon more I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Different grades of gas and mileage results

Originally Posted by Bob259

I know the manual says for best performance use the Premium, but at 20+ cents a gallon more I'm not sure it would be worth it.
isn't the "performance" the manual is referring to acceleration (hp)? you'll note that their advertised 0-60 time was using 93 oct.

i doubt there will be much, if any, difference in mileage, all things equal- but i'm not enough of a gearhead to know for sure. the higher octane gas will allow advanced timing so i'm guessing the ecu adapts, but this doesn't happen immediately. i'm not sure what else the ecu does for better performance. it would be great if someone could expand on this.