When to order a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up When to order a Hybrid

Recently I read the Toyota Highlander (Hybrid) was only going to get about 27.5 mpg. This doesn't make sense if it suppose to get over 600 miles on a full tank. I also read that over 100,000 pre-orders have been made for the Highlander. What I would like to know is when is the best time to pre-order for a Hybrid? I have read other forums that the best guesstimate for the Toyota Sienna will be sometime in 2007.
In Japan they have already sold it since 2003, but under the name of the Estima or Alphard. Can anyone tell me when the best time to order? I'm leaning away from the Highlander and going towards the Sienna. I read the Sienna will get over 40 mpg.
How should I go about pre-ordering?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Site Founder

Hmm. I don't recall what the projected fuel economy for the Highlader is, but I'm thinking we've probably talked about it before. I highly doubt there are 100,000 preorders for it, however. You should probably keep track of where you hear these things so that we can qualify the information.

You are correct in that the Estima has been on sale in Japan for quite some time, but we have received few details about hybrid minivans in the US yet. It'll probably be another year before we get specific information.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Sienna mpg?

Originally Posted by mastersgtbob
Recently I read the Toyota Highlander (Hybrid) was only going to get about 27.5 mpg. This doesn't make sense if it suppose to get over 600 miles on a full tank. I also read that over 100,000 pre-orders have been made for the Highlander. What I would like to know is when is the best time to pre-order for a Hybrid? I have read other forums that the best guesstimate for the Toyota Sienna will be sometime in 2007.
In Japan they have already sold it since 2003, but under the name of the Estima or Alphard. Can anyone tell me when the best time to order? I'm leaning away from the Highlander and going towards the Sienna. I read the Sienna will get over 40 mpg.
How should I go about pre-ordering?
I don't know where you got the 40 mpg on the Sienna, but it's rated at 18/24. The best mileage on a minivan is the Honda Odyssey at 20/28. That's on their EX-L and Touring editions with the variable cylinder control (goes from 6 cylinders to 3 when there's not too much load). I *LOVE* our '05 Odyssey!

Tink

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't pre-order at all. I would wait until the vehicle hits the market and then see what actually happens with it. If there is anything we have learned in the wild land of hybrids and dealers, it is that pre-order and waiting lists are poorly administered and often times administered unfairly or without much honor or ethics. If the pre-order list was administered by Toyota directly, that would be a different issue, however they are administered by dealers and you are up to the dealer you choose to deal with.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have seen that 40 mpg number for the estima as well, in the popular press. In any case, the estima mini-van is *not* a rebadged Sienna. It is smaller, with a much smaller engine if I recall correctly. Think Tokyo city driving.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When to order a Hybrid

Not pre-ordering the Prius led to tremendous waits for most. While those of us on the list before the car was released got cars early. I'm number 4 on my dealers waiting list for a HiHy and got on the list with a deposit, signed contract guaranteeing MSRP, etc. back in January. Even so they told me not to expect a car until as late as October since they will only be getting 1-2/month.

The dealers that screwed people are pretty well known now. Post here, any Yahoo Prius group, Priuschat, whereever people go who had to wait and deal with folks and see what their experience was then use one of the honest dealers that delt fairly.

Finally, ordering for the HiHy will be completely different than for the Prius. The dealers will submit, via computer, a specific order for you for the exact features you want and that order will stay with your car until it is delivered to your dealer and ultimately to YOU!

I've seen no official announcement, but it should even be possible to track the progress of your specific vehicle from assembly to transport ship, to truck in the US, to your dealer's lot. I know there will be such a system for the 400h.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Technogeek

At the recent car show in Denver I was taking a close look at the RX400. I asked the Toyota/Lexus people about the wait for the RX400 and commented on the poor handling of the Prius waiting lists. They said that the waiting list was going to be controled by Toyota so you can get your exact choices and dealers will have a harder time playing games with the customers.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Site Founder

I'm not positive, but I *think* that's what they originally said about the Prius until it turned into a free-for-all.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

What I'm hearing from all the dealers around here is that all dealers will be getting 1 or 2 HHs per month. Most of the dealers in the metro area already have waiting lists of 12-18 months. I took PrimeRisk's advice and went to a dealer in Cheyenne and their waiting list is minimal. Bottom line - if you want one but aren't on a list yet, try going to a dealer outside the major metro areas and you may find shorter waiting lists.