Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

’06 Civics set new benchmark, but Hybrid costs you in 2 ways

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default ’06 Civics set new benchmark, but Hybrid costs you in 2 ways

....The hybrid, which comes only with a stepless or "continuously variable" automatic, is rated significantly higher by the EPA - at 49 mpg in the city and 51 on the highway.

Impressive, for sure, but Civic Hybrid drivers pay a price for being able to thumb their noses at Big Oil and help save the planet - in higher purchase price and lower performance....
As reported on Newsday.com

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnis...ess-columnists

BTW, I am in total disagreement with this article !!

Last edited by lkewin; 02-09-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: ’06 Civics set new benchmark, but Hybrid costs you in 2 ways

Originally Posted by lkewin
As reported on Newsday.com

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnis...ess-columnists

BTW, I am in total disagreement with this article !!
Interesting article. I found a small error though, which tells me the author doesn't know beans about cars or electric motors or physics in general....here it is..

"The Hybrid gets the same rear drum brakes as the cheaper DX and LX sedans, and in the Hybrid the brake pedal has an artificial and somewhat nonlinear feel because a variable amount of the stopping is being done by friction in the electric motor rather than contact between brake pads and discs or drums."

Friction in the Electric Motor????? doooh.... If there is any, it is very negligable. Thomas Alva Westinghouse must be rolling...

Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: ’06 Civics set new benchmark, but Hybrid costs you in 2 ways

lower performance
This may come as a shock to the writer, but the HCH is not the type of car you'd drive at 10/10ths very often. If that's how you'd drive a Civic, you'd have passed it for the Civic Si. Duh.