Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

$100/barrel oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Engineering first
Exclamation $100/barrel oil

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/5422811.html

Oil flirts with $100 a barrel
Crude reaches century mark, then edges back to record $99.62
By KRISTEN HAYS
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Oil prices closed at a record high Wednesday, after a single futures contract drove crude briefly to $100-a-barrel for the first time. Light, sweet crude for next-month delivery on the New York Mercantile Exchange: • Wednesday's high: $100
Wednesday's close: $99.62
Previous intraday record: $99.29 Nov. 21
Previous record close: $98.18 Nov. 23

Oil briefly touched $100 a barrel Wednesday before retreating 38 cents to a record close that left 2007 levels in the dust.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $100/barrel oil

Get ready for $4.00 gallon gas!! It's on the way!!...I'm glad i made the move to purchase a hybrid back in August after looking for almost 2 years! I had a 4runner that was totalled in july '06 and am glad i no longer own it. It was getting expensive to fill it. In reality it made very difference in my decision to purchase a hybrid. The cost of gas goes up........it goes down. We have no control over that.........only the fuel economy of the car we drive!!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Right. And buying a hybrid actually aligns our interests with those of OPEC in a way. If gas goes to $4 or $5, we won't really mind, since we're getting 45 mpg. But it'll certainly boost the value of our hybrids. Just look at what $3 gas did for the Prius in 2006.

Personally, I hope the price of gas goes sky high just to watch all those defiant Hummer owners squirm. Also, to further reduce the population of 40' motor homes clogging up the highways. I've noticed a significant reduction over the past few years already.

Ever get stuck behind one going up a twisty mountain road?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Right. And buying a hybrid actually aligns our interests with those of OPEC in a way. If gas goes to $4 or $5, we won't really mind, since we're getting 45 mpg. But it'll certainly boost the value of our hybrids. Just look at what $3 gas did for the Prius in 2006.

Personally, I hope the price of gas goes sky high just to watch all those defiant Hummer owners squirm. Also, to further reduce the population of 40' motor homes clogging up the highways. I've noticed a significant reduction over the past few years already.

Ever get stuck behind one going up a twisty mountain road?

Yes.......well not a motorhome but a truck. It's not much fun. I think it just makes us have to focus more on new technology to increase the efficiency of the vehicles we drive. Hummers and SUV's are on the downslide to the scrap heap anyways!!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Energy Independence!

The major problem that I see with a $100 oil barrel is that provides additional petro-dollars available to filthy regimes which hate us.

How will they use that extra revenue? Financing additional terror groups? Pursuing sophisticated weapons, including A-bombs? Providing handouts to poorer countries such that they will have their votes on any UN resolution?

I don't know, but it is scary.