Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Air Force ranks No. 1 for renewable energy use

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Force ranks No. 1 for renewable energy use

I believe there was an article recently that said an Army base was using a fuel cell Ford F350 crewcab truck. I wish I could find it again.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rigger
When I lived in Guam we had a mandatory water conservation go into effect right after a MAJOR typhoon (Katrina wasn't major compared to this one as far as wind speed goes) . Anyway, we were ordered not to take showers - we being the military members AND their families. I went as far as having evedrybody bath in water runoff from the roof of our house. The day after it went into effect I was driving by the golf course and the sprinklers were on!!!! I soon after lost my faith in some military officers and their command decisions.

On a more positive note, I did post here a few months ago that I saw some Marine recruiters driving a GOV (Gov plated) FEH. That was a positive sight, especially since I had minutes earlier left a Navy base and seen the Marine H1 recruiter tool.
THAT is 98% certain to have had nothing to do with "officers" and 99% to do with public works not getting around to/remembering that the sprinklers were on auto timers. Could've been the duty officer, the GS13 in charge of PW, or the hourly-wage contractor who maintains the sprinklers. Stuff falls through the cracks. Nobody's perfect.

I've never met an officer worth his collar insignia that didn't keep fully in the front of their minds that appearance to the troops is paramount- do what you say and say what you do. Are there some who don't subscribe to it? Sure. But name me a single organization aywhere that doesn't have a quality spread within the human beings that populate it.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
No prob Xcel. I had originally thought maybe you were pointing out an error in what the Air Force was saying. I wanted to know if what I read was wrong. But, I couldn't find a correlation between the Air Force press release and what you had posted.

Gonavy, for what it's worth: for the first few thousand years, the navy used no fuel whatsoever. Just wind power.
Not trying to get into a contest here, just jabbing some fun at USAF..it's my God-given duty, after all

Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I blame it on the base commander at that time. He's the same guy that used to go knock on doors at 0300 to tell people that their grass was too high, mow it.....NOW! The same guys that ordered us to do a grand send off when he PCS'ed. Complete with two arches built at the front gate for him to drive under as he left. The two arches were made of two aircraft step trucksfacing each other and the other a "water arch" (more waste!), two fire trucks spraying water forming an arch. The golf course was his baby.

This particular guy was out of his mind. Not a good officer/leader/manager or whatever you want to call it.

Back on track for military conservation. Doesn't the Navy have a BIG sailboat (OK, sailingSHIP) that belongs to the Academy? That's a pretty energy efficent training tool, though nothing to do with modern warfare. I know of quite a few small solar panels for certain applications. Actually they're pretty good since most of the military time is spent where there is LOTS of sun.

Originally Posted by gonavy
THAT is 98% certain to have had nothing to do with "officers" and 99% to do with public works not getting around to/remembering that the sprinklers were on auto timers. Could've been the duty officer, the GS13 in charge of PW, or the hourly-wage contractor who maintains the sprinklers. Stuff falls through the cracks. Nobody's perfect.

I've never met an officer worth his collar insignia that didn't keep fully in the front of their minds that appearance to the troops is paramount- do what you say and say what you do. Are there some who don't subscribe to it? Sure. But name me a single organization aywhere that doesn't have a quality spread within the human beings that populate it.