Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Old 08-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

While actual hybrid vehicle owners tend to be older (55) than the average new-vehicle buyer and more affluent, with an average annual household income of $113,400, the study finds that consumers who indicate that they are considering a hybrid tend to be younger (averaging 43 years old), with an average annual household income of $88,500.
http://www.greenbiz.com/news/news_th...m?NewsID=33882

Um,, 'Scuse Me Sonny !!?? Boy, did that study blow it or what? AVERAGE AGE OF HYBRID OWNERS 55 years old? Where in the name of all that is Hybrid did they get that
octogenarian sample of owners !!?!?!?!?!

That's just hilarious !! Didn't we do an age survey around here? Did the average come in at anywhere NEAR 55 years old !!???!!! NOT !!!!

PS. The survey here says 69.23% of the gh.com owners who voted are 44 or younger, with 30.77% being 45 or older. I'm no math whiz, but it looks like that puts the average under 44 years old.

Last edited by lars-ss; 08-31-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Heh, I'm halfway there.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The study may be full of beans, but I would point out a couple things:

- The average age here is highly skewed by the fact that mainly the computer-savvy participate regularly in forums on the internet, and most of those folks are younger. I.e. many of the 55+ folks aren't going to be spending much of their time online like us.

- I seem to see TONS of 55+ folks driving Priuses around here. They vastly, as a group, outnumber any other age range I could identify.

But those are just my observations from here where I live.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

You can read the JD Powers press release directly from:

http://www.jdpowers.com/

<Click on press release and enter "2006 Alternative PowerTrain Study">

I sent a note asking for a copy of the report but was told, "The full detailed report is designed for the automakers and suppliers." So I sent a follow-up note:

"Thank you. I just finished the press release and have one suggestion. My understanding is the price difference between a Camry Hybrid and an equivalent optioned Camry gas unit is closer to $1,200. One of the reasons for the higher hybrid costs are the premium options that are standard on a hybrid.

The part that I remain most interested in is ". . . hybrid owners report getting an average improvement of just 9 mpg." I suspect this is a function of which vehicle. Is there anyway to get a breakdown by vehicle of the survey reported hybrid MPG? We could then compare the survey results with what is reported in the GreenHybrid.com database:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

Given the study date and release date of the Toyota Camry hybrid, were you able to get a statisticly signficant number of Camry hybrid responses? The GreenHybrid.com early MPG reports from Camry hybrid owners shows close agreement, 37 MPG, versus the 38/40 EPA highway/city.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/toyota-camryhybrid.html

In the GreenHybrid.com community, we look at how to maximize hybrid performance and collect our 'lessons learned' into FAQs for our membership. Not everyone follows them but those who do report positive results."

The conversation continues and we'll see what happens. The survey report dates are such that it is unliky the Toyota Camry hybrid was included:

"The 2006 Alternative Powertrain Study includes responses from more than 4,000 consumers who plan to purchase a new vehicle within the next two years. Respondents were surveyed in July 2006. The voice-of-the-customer components of the Automotive Environmental Index are derived from both the 2006 Alternative Powertrain Study and the 2006 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study. The more than 63,000 respondents to the 2006 APEAL Study were surveyed between February and May 2006."

Bob Wilson

Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Well, a site-wide poll of hybrid owners from April 2005 had 45-59 tied with 28-35 (20 votes each) for the lead. That's with 78 votes.

the TCH poll said the average age was 46-55. That's with 66 voters.

The HCH Poll said the average was 35-60. That was with 74 respondents.

These samples are so small that the margin of error is huge, but an average age of 55 wouldn't be totally unbelievable.

Bear in mind that someone 55 today would have been 17-18 and paying for their own gas during the 1973-74 oil embargo. It doesn't take a genius to learn that lesson.

Also, the higher income plays a huge part. Hybrids may only run $3000 or so above their non-hybrid equivalent, but how many people that are just out of college and paying off that debt were going to have $21000 to drop on a Civic EX? I'd expect them to buy something cheap until school is paid off, but that's admittedly based on my own experience.

Finally, at 55, your kids have moved out (hopefully) and you can get something a bit smaller.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by blinkard
Also, the higher income plays a huge part. Hybrids may only run $3000 or so above their non-hybrid equivalent, but how many people that are just out of college and paying off that debt were going to have $21000 to drop on a Civic EX? I'd expect them to buy something cheap until school is paid off, but that's admittedly based on my own experience.
And it's not just that... there are huge segments of potential YONUNG hybrid drivers... school teachers, librarians, non-profit employees, etc.,. that would drive hybrids but may not be able to swing buying anything that costs more than a used 5 year old Civic regardless of how much they might be paying in loans, and another huge segment of potential YOUNG hybrid drivers might live in dense urban environments like SF, DC, NYC, Boston, or Chicago who would buy hybrids were it not for BART/METRO/SUBWAY/L/T and flex/zip cars.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevejust
potential YOUNG hybrid drivers might live in dense urban environments like SF, DC, NYC, Boston, or Chicago who would buy hybrids were it not for BART/METRO/SUBWAY/L/T and flex/zip cars.
Although my "research" is completely informal, I pay close attention to these kinds of things, I have noticed the highest number of hybrid vehicles in the areas that have access to public transportation and alternatives such as the Zipcars.

Take for example, Brookline, a densely populated town just to the west of Boston. It is served by two light rail lines, many bus lines, has zipcars all over the place and is very bicycle friendly. It is also loaded with Priius' and the occasional Insight. I'm sure there is a connection that people who want to live close to public transit would also want to use a more environmentally friendly vehicle when they do need to drive.

I have also noticed a very large number of hybrid vehicles parked in the commuter lots at some of the train stations in the Boston subway system. I guess that makes sense as well.

Gotta agree with everyone who sees a lot of older folks driving hybrids. At least around Boston, I am definitely bringing down the average. Most of the Priius drivers I see are either 50+ or 30-. More of the former though.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by coyote
The study may be full of beans, but I would point out a couple things:

- The average age here is highly skewed by the fact that mainly the computer-savvy participate regularly in forums on the internet, and most of those folks are younger. I.e. many of the 55+ folks aren't going to be spending much of their time online like us.

- I seem to see TONS of 55+ folks driving Priuses around here. They vastly, as a group, outnumber any other age range I could identify.

But those are just my observations from here where I live.
wel, i may skew that thought. i am 59, and spend a ton of time online, as does my 85 year old mother. i don't think we can make a statement about age, just based on attendance on this particular site.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by laurie
i am 59, and spend a ton of time online, as does my 85 year old mother.
Just as long as you keep an eye on which chat rooms she's using....

Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM

I have to say that the survey results track fairly well with my own expectations. I would not be incredibly surprised to hear that the age was a bit younger, but the actual results match what my guess would have been. 55+ means a bit more disposable income, most of the time. Not only that, I see a lot of older people driving hybrids, when I see hybrids at all around here.

My friends (younger people) do generally WANT a hybrid- I can think of about seven who do in less time than it takes to type this sentence- but they can't afford the upgrade, or they have just purchased a first car, or aren't getting a car at all. So purely on an anecdotal level, I would expect hybrids to be owned by older people.

Also keep in mind that most people who own cars are older. You can't until you're 16, practically speaking, and most kids don't get one right away. Young drivers drive their parents' cars, some of which may be hybrids but would count as being 'owned' by someone older. Older people are also more likely to own more than one car. There are a lot of factors, but they all pretty much seem to skew in the same direction- hybrids being owned by older people.

I suppose if you buy into the division of liberal/conservative principals as being related to conservationist ideals, then it is true that liberals tend to be younger, but I remember a political survey here that ended up showing that hybrid owners are all across the spectrum, so that's probably not a valid reason to expect a predominantly younger set of owners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands