Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Bad press for media or bad ads?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bad press for media or bad ads?

Am I paranoid or do hybrid cars get bad press?

I have encountered an abundance of articles pointing out that hybrids will not save you money through gas saving compared to their non hybrid counter parts.

Why is it ok to spends 10's of thousands of dollars for a luxury car/suv that you drive around in city traffic but not 3-5k more for a hybrid version of the same car?

Either there is a conspiracy against these cars success or the people being paid to promote those cars are incompetent?

Green Cars Now http://www.greencarsnow.com/

Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad press for media or bad ads?

I believe its actually to keep the demand low and the cost of the hybrids at a premium. I think the car manufacturers are making more of a profit on the hybrids over thier non-hybrid counterparts. I guess it helps recoup the expenses of development.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You're not alone.

It seems that in the post Consumer Reports world, the number of articles have increased, both in number and "noise".

In the past 24 hours, I've been shown an article in Good Housekeeping, some Newspaper, 2 sites, and a TV news report about how hybrids "aren't worth it and don't deserve any breaks".

The some newspaper is a clipping sent to me by my Grandparents, about an article that a local city (Ferndale MI) may change to free parking for hybrids. The article talks about how people who own hybrids are very wealthy, get a very generous tax break, and don't get the promised milage, so they shouldn't get free parking. (For a blurb there were a lot of slams; including that the FEH only gets 22 MPGs at best.)

The Good Housekeeping article, the newspaper blurb, and the TV report all mention the Consumer Reports article.

Off Topic:
22 MPGs in a FEH? What the hell are they doing? Running the AC at 99 MPH?

That's why when I reach and pass the break even point, I'm having a party, and letting the media know all about it.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by pfezziwig
. . .
Either there is a conspiracy against these cars success or the people being paid to promote those cars are incompetent? . . .
It is a combination of problems:
- our hybrids could be more aggressive fuel savers
- the EPA profile make hybrids look especially good
- skilled hybrid driving is an art and takes self-discipline

My Prius studies indicate there are a number of 'low hanging fruit' enhancements that improve MPG performance: (1) forced stop when stopped, (2) momentum glide, (3) variable air inlet, (4) exhaust heat recovery. There is evidence that heat management in the Prius can be improved.

The EPA profile runs on a 'warmed up' vehicle which means the hybrid auto-stop gives excellent results. This means the warm-up cycle is ignored.

The lack of an MPH vs. MPG chart in the owners manual means drivers do not have critical information needed to avoid 'bad speed ranges' especially when the vehicle is cold. This is basic engineering data and critical to maximizing return on investment.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The lack of an MPH vs. MPG chart in the owners manual means drivers do not have critical information needed to avoid 'bad speed ranges' especially when the vehicle is cold...
I made a chart to address this (attached). For the new model Prius, data are from Wayne Brown's Palm program, D Lusuardi made the spreadsheet and posted it in the files section of the Yahoo Prius-2G group. The curves represent different ambient temperatures, and the spreadsheet includes others as well.

DAS

Attached Files
File Type: xls
mpg mph model.xls (20.0 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by Tochatihu; 03-23-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
The article talks about how people who own hybrids are very wealthy
That's funny! I live in a trailer, my proof I'm not wealthy.

I'm starting to believe that bad press gets people more stirred up and that's what the media wants. So far though I think I've seen more positive articles than negative articles, not by much though.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Tochatihu: That's fantastic. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Bad press for media or bad ads?

Hi,

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
I made a chart to address this (attached). For the new model Prius, data are from Wayne Brown's Palm program, D Lusuardi made the spreadsheet and posted it in the files section of the Yahoo Prius-2G group. The curves represent different ambient temperatures, and the spreadsheet includes others as well.
Excellent start. Could you try to confirm one data point?

My testing of our NHW11 shows a distinct dip at 41-42 MPH and three tests have confirmed this dip. I would like to know if another Prius NHW20 driver might be able to repeat the test with their Prius:

METHODOLOGY
- Use the same commute route for a Monday-Friday test
- Use cruise control to manage speed on all segments
- Set cruise control speed to 42 MPH as much as possible
- Measure elapsed MPG at end of week both MFD and tank with gas recept

I've got a copy of the simulation software too and it is fine for speeds under 39 mph and above 50 mph. It is the 39-50 MPH range where I can't get the model to match the actual Prius I mileage.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 03-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I also laughed my A-- off when Consumer Reports tried saying that the HCH got only 28 MPG. I get at least 36 even when I'm driving like Mad Max.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I also laughed my A-- off when Consumer Reports tried saying that the HCH got only 28 MPG. I get at least 36 even when I'm driving like Mad Max.
I believe it was that same article that said the standard civic got 18 mpg city. That was before I bought my HCH, and when I read that I knew the data had to be bogus (Think it was the February issue of CR? I actually bought it, but threw it away after reading it). The sad part is, as has already been stated here, all these other media sources smell blood and go for the jugular armed with the CR data. How sad for our environment and the world's energy supplies....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad press for media or bad ads?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands