Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Site Founder
Default Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

Do you think there's any merit to this?
Hybrids deliver better mileage and less pollution than traditional cars by switching between a gasoline engine and an electric motor. But when operating on the electric battery, especially when idling at a stop or running at low speeds, the engine in a hybrid is almost silent. A hybrid vehicle is generally quieter than a vacuum cleaner.
"I'm an environmentalist, and I'm all for quiet cars," says Mr. Osborn. "But it poses a particular problem for somebody who has no vision."
Blind pedestrians using a guide dog or cane are largely dependent on the sounds of traffic to cross streets safely. For a blind person, "it's very important to be able to gather auditory and tactile cues from the environment," says Sumara Shakeel, of Toms River, N.J., who is a rehabilitation teacher for the New Jersey Commission for the Blind.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20080212.html

Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

Give pedestrians their right-of-way, as required by law, and there shouldn't be any problems.

As a pedestrian (I walk to work most mornings, and skied to work this morning) I will comment on the general lack of manners and ignorance of the law on the part of motorists on their responsibilities towards pedestrians.

The problem is a general disdain for pedestrians' well being by most motorists. Hybrid cars are not the problem, the typical motorist's attitude is the problem.

Harry

Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Engineering first

I suppose we could dangle Indian elephant bells from the front license plate?

Perhaps rig the 'back-up' beeper to work at any speeds less than 25 mph?

How about having a someone walk in front waving a red flag and at night, a lantern and ringing a bell?

Bob Wilson

Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

My wife's Grand Marquis is completely quiet when decelerating. Solution: turn the stereo volume up and play the Camry Hybrid theme song over and over.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Energy Independence

I agree about the general lack of consideration to the pedestrian is a serious issue.
However, the blind are at a distinct disadvantage in protecting themselves when said inconsiderate driver is nearby. You and I can SEE this retard, and might avoid being hit by them. A blind person cannot. IF there was a simple way to alleviate the "too quiet" issue, it WOULD be better.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

Originally Posted by MikeMcL
My wife's Grand Marquis is completely quiet when decelerating. Solution: turn the stereo volume up and play the Camry Hybrid theme song over and over.
Or just about any "Beach Boys" tune:

'Little Duce Coupe'
'409'
'Fun, Fun, Fun'
'The Little Old Lady from Pasadena'

A few other favorites:

'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?'
'Highway To Hell'
'Hot Rod Lincoln'
'All I Wanna Do'
'Take Me Home, Country Roads'
'Copperhead Road'
'Eight Days On The Road'
'The Motorcycle Song'
'Six Days on the Road'
'Hit The Road Jack'
'On the Road Again'
'Give Me Two Steps'
'Expressway to Your Heart'
'Pink Cadillac'
'Darlington County'
'Workin' on the Highway'
'Born to be Wild'
'Pacific Highway'
'Dead Skunk'
'Give Me Forty Acres'
'Cars'
'Riding Around in My Automobile'
'You Can Drive My Car'
'Mustang Sally'
'Low Rider'
'Mercedes Benz'

Bob Wilson

Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why is this suddenly an issue with hybrid vehicles? Bicycles have been around a lot longer, and are possibly more numerous in urban areas (where pedestrians also are more numerous), than hybrids. Though they certainly won't be as lethal as a car in a collision with a pedestrian, they can still injure seriously. How do blind pedestrians recognize an approaching bike? Why has there been no similar push for bicycles to make noise for the benefit of the blind?

Maybe the suggestion seen in another forum is in order, for both types of vehicles: clothespins and baseball cards.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by JimboK
Why is this suddenly an issue with hybrid vehicles? Bicycles have been around a lot longer, and are possibly more numerous in urban areas (where pedestrians also are more numerous), than hybrids. . . .
Skeptics are always trying to find something, based upon their distorted view of hybrids and hybrid owners. It comes with the territory. Wait 60-90 days and something else will pop up.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Skeptics are always trying to find something, based upon their distorted view of hybrids and hybrid owners.
I know. My question was mostly rhetorical. But I also want to give the benefit of the doubt to those who might have a genuine concern and a good answer.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

I sent the following e-mail to both groups:

Hi folks,

I think you two need to talk. Deborah works with the blind on a committee concerned that quiet cars are a hazard to blind people. The folks at American Technology make ultrasonic sound systems that have highly directional, ultrasonic beams and the ability to mix two ultrasonic beams to make an audio signal humans can hear without special equipment.

It looks to me that a scanning signal beam with a 'bone' transducer for the reference signal could provide an active, sound based system to give the blind audio clues about the position of large, ultrasonic reflecting objects. In some cases, a unidirectional broadcast beam might also work with 360 degree coverage. This would work for both silent cars and other objects, moving or fixed, that are equally silent.

Dehorah's group has a web page at:
http://quietcars.nfb.org/

American Technology has a web page at:
http://www.atcsd.com/site/

I think this is a win-win technology.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Blind Pedestrians Say Quiet Hybrids Pose Safety Threat

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands