Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range, delivered to first US customer

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 PM
IB Staff
Default BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range, delivered to first US customer

Filed under: EV/Plug-in, BMW, USA

It's official. The first U.S. BMW i3 customer is now happily zipping along somewhere in his new car. Or possibly staring lovingly at it in his garage - we're not sure which. That man, Tufts University professor and electric vehicle aficionado Charles Rabie, was handed the keys at the BMW of Boston dealership earlier today, thus beginning a flood of upcoming deliveries from the pool of hundreds currently awaiting for their owners at the Port Jersey Vehicle Distribution Center in Jersey City, NJ.

And now, when Mr. Rabie sets off in his spiffy electric Bimmer, he'll know exactly how far the EPA thinks he can go on a full charge of its 22-kWh battery. Speaking with Dave Buchko from BMW Corporate Communications, we learned the government agency has given the i3 an official range rating of 81 miles. Efficiency-wise, that breaks down to 138 MPGe city, 111 hwy, and 124 combined for the city car.

Of course, we don't expect the good professor to experience any difficulties dealing with the sub-100 mile range. As a former BMW ActiveE driver, he's had plenty of opportunity to become accustomed to the foibles (and advantages) of piloting a battery-powered vehicle. You can read our First Drive impression of the BMW i3 here. Scroll down for the official press release.Continue reading BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range, delivered to first US customer

BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range, delivered to first US customer originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Fri, 02 May 2014 19:23:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range, delivered to first US customer

Im not really a big BMW fan, to me they all look the same but Id seriously consider that i3. From everything Ive read, heard and seen if it, that thing looks like a great little car.