Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN/Money Article: Are Hybrids Worth the Money

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default CNN/Money Article: Are Hybrids Worth the Money

This article appeared today.
The analysis, by Edmunds.com for USA Today, said the cost for advanced technology isn't completely offset by gas savings and federal tax credits over the five years that owners typically keep their vehicles. The study showed that in most cases, an owner would have to drive a hybrid tens of thousands of extra miles a year, or gasoline would have to hit much higher levels, to reach a break-even point with a comparable gas-powered model.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/01/Autos/hybrid/index.htm

Last edited by Jason; 06-01-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: CNN/Money Article: Are Hybrids Worth the Money

Yes

Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Site Founder

Hybrids are worth the money, but not if your only goal is to save money. It's important for people to understand that hybrid technology is also about reducing dependence on foreign oil, limiting pollution, driving quieter and investing in future technology.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

I've put in 11 tanks of gas so far, driven 5,500 miles and only spent $251 on gas averaging out to $125 a month. I've stated it before but I'm going to state it again I am saving a hell of a lot of money with my hybrid. I used to have a Jeep 4x4 and spent roughly $100 a week. My current car payment plus the gas I put in the car is only $25 more a month then what I used to fill up my tank per month.

I know my situation is not typical but many others (with increasing suburbia sprawl) don't have typical situations either.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

It's about burning less gas!!! and lower emissions!!! If every vehicle on the road
got 50mi/gallon we would probably be an exporter of oil! Put that in your exaust
pipe and smoke it .

Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

I hope they ask this question five, then ten years later.

What little I know about fuel cell vehicles is the acceleration is poor - they need an assist. That's where today's hybrid technology comes in - it will make FCVs better.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

The other thing it doesn't take into consideration is that some people like to own their vehicle for more than five years. My Explorer was a '95, and I traded it in when I got my FEH. I intend to keep the FEH for 10-15 years. So even if what they said was true (Which it isn't, and misses part of the point), I think I'd still come out way ahead.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Of course people who have already jumped on the hybrid bandwagon are going to defend their choice. that is human nature. We don't want to be convinced that maybe we made a bad financial decision.

Simple fact is the following: people are not going to go hybrid just to lower dependence upon foreign oil, or to reduce the alleged greenhouse effect. People are only going to change when it benefits their pocketbook, and regardless of the hybrid sensationalism, they do not appear to be more cost-effective right now, but costing more actually.

If/when gas gets to $2.75+ a gallon and stays there, more people will buy hybrids. Personally, I can't wait until the sticker shock happens when people have to replace their batteries for the first time, costing thousands.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

The batteries in in the Prius are warrantied for 100,000 mi. But should last the life of the car. Which Toyota says I believe is around 200,000 mi. I'll bet we will have gas engine problems before that.
I figure I'm saving about $800 a year on gas. That is compared to the average car.
The Prius is also much larger in size than the closest competetor gas misser cars.
Note: Prius I 49,000 mi and no problems! prius II 18,000 mi and no problems period!!!!

Batteries not an issue,
Dave

Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by moneyguy
Simple fact is the following: people are not going to go hybrid just to lower dependence upon foreign oil, or to reduce the alleged greenhouse effect. People are only going to change when it benefits their pocketbook, and regardless of the hybrid sensationalism, they do not appear to be more cost-effective right now, but costing more actually.
Your thinking is flawed. Just because your incentive is monatary doesn't mean every ones is. There are many reasons besides saving money to buy a car. My personal reason is that I wanted to drive a long time between fill ups.

I think you put more weight on the money aspect because thats why YOU would buy one. Don't start talking for the general populous without actualy doing proper research.

There are many cars out there more expensive than the hybrids. There are a few expensive cars (I won't name names) that are money pits but people buy them just because they are status symbols.

If you look at the reports of hybrids they all pretty much come out on top as being among the most reliable and they also offer a great driving experience. Have you driven the models available?

Also. When you bought your current car, did you look at the price tag and compare it to all the other cars to make sure you were getting your moneys worth? Did you buy the one that had the total lowest cost of ownership + sticker price?

Quick Reply: CNN/Money Article: Are Hybrids Worth the Money

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands