Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Engineering first
Default Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...us-052808.html

Meyer and Bai met during last year's Summer Institute for Entrepreneurship program at the Graduate School of Business and began working on a speaker system to make hybrid vehicles audible, especially those that can run in fully electric mode like the Toyota Prius, Camry and Highlander. On their own time, juggling their coursework, they eventually set up a company called Enhanced Vehicle Acoustics and developed a prototype of the system.
"The inspiration is the coolness factor," Meyer said. "The idea that there's a problem out there and you can do something about it."
Prius owners are debating the bill they call the "Bell the Hybrid Act" in online chat forums across the nation. Meyer said they expect some resistance to their product. "We got a lot of voices saying, 'This is a bad idea. You're making a lot of noise.' We don't believe that. We believe this is something that has to happen."
"In business school they taught us that a good idea is one that never reaches consensus," Bai said.
Now they have a company called Enhanced Vehicle Acoustics and a plan to market their products. "People who drive Priuses are generally pretty conscientious and aware, so it seems like a good beginning market," Meyer said. As more electric cars come along, he said, the speaker system may interest both drivers and manufacturers.

This summer Meyer and Bai are taking their prototype on the road to the national convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Dallas, the Plug-In Exposition in San Jose and NoiseCon in Dearborn, Mich. The Prius, they said, won't be coming with them. Instead, they hope to use a vehicle borrowed or volunteered on site.
Time for a little reality training.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Sour grapes?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Wait this is the greatest idea of all. Are they going public? Can I purchase stock!!! What a couple of morons!! Way to go...lower the pollution from the vehicle but then create noise pollution!!

Gee maybe I could go on a national tour and teach these guys to look to the left and look to the right before crossing the street!! My 3 year old son has learned that already.

Whatever happened to common sense?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll just honk my horn.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ooh ooh! I hope they make me wear a bell when I ride my bike too!!! I would hate to hit someone when I'm riding my bike because they didn't hear me...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Can I just get this guy to ride in the car with me??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cy1B-spRYR0

By the way the website for the guys in the article is a joke.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Old Boomer Techie

So help me, if it passes I am gonna get a big 1949 steam locomotive bell and mount it as a hood ornament. I will run a big, yellow, hemp rope to it and connect it so I can reach it out of the left drivers window.

It will sound just like the entrance to Disneyland!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by FastMover
So help me, if it passes I am gonna get a big 1949 steam locomotive bell and mount it as a hood ornament. I will run a big, yellow, hemp rope to it and connect it so I can reach it out of the left drivers window.

It will sound just like the entrance to Disneyland!
I had a co-worker come to my office and ask me what I was laughing at....obviously it was after I read your post FastMover!1

Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Pragmatist

If they pass a law that we have to install noise makers on electric cars, I am going to put air horns on mine. Then I am going to find out the home addresses of the politicians who voted for that law, and use the "noisemaker" every time I drive past any of those houses.

I have air horns on my truck. They work very well.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

How about a loudspeaker that shouts "Get outta my way" when the driver presses a certain button on the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Coming to 'Bell the Hybrids'

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands