Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Consumer Reports - Hybrid cost article

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports - Hybrid cost article

Originally Posted by Douglas
One of the BIG assumptions in the CR study, is that the car buyer is buying a new car for the first time. They do not take into consideration the savings derived from getting rid of a less efficient older car.
CR made the assumption that most people want a comparison between hybrid and gas only vehicles as closely equipped as possible. Hybrid vs. existing car makes the BIG assumption that there are ONLY hybrids available.

We can shoot holes in their analysis, but with the acception of the Prius/Corolla match they are the fairest match IMHO. Maybe not the Lexus RH400h/RH330 either, don't know anything about them.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Consumer Reports - Hybrid cost article

Originally Posted by abowles
Comparing dpereciation amounts for 2 cars with a 40,000 mileage differential between them is not supportable in any shape, manner, or form. The results will always be falsely skewed due to the original false premise that the cars are equal. Show me an Echo with 117,000 miles and let's see what the difference is.
Ebay was handy and only one 2001 Echo was listed and one 2001 Prius. I tend to prefer Ebay since it represents real deals.

If you prefer blue book value, their web page lets you normalize the cars. The only problem is finding a Blue book deal:

12,000 mi/yr * 5 years = 60,000 mi.
$08,860 - 2001 Echo suggested retail price
$16,250 - 2001 Prius suggested retail price

24,000 mi/yr * 5 years = 120,000 mi.
$07,250 - 2001 Echo suggested retail price
$13,500 - 2001 Prius suggested retail price

As for new prices in 2001, we priced both locally in Huntsville and bought the Echo:
$14,200 - 2001 Echo purchase price
$21,000 - 2001 Prius offered price

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Somebody from my Church jumped on me today about this article.....I take it for what it's worth. I recall 3 years when our local NBC covered CRs test of Hybrids and CR testing was only able to average 30 mpg in a Prius I and Civic HCH I....oh well!

Old 03-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Consumer Reports - Hybrid cost article

Originally Posted by Renato
Somebody from my Church jumped on me today about this article.....I take it for what it's worth. I recall 3 years when our local NBC covered CRs test of Hybrids and CR testing was only able to average 30 mpg in a Prius I and Civic HCH I....oh well!
Next Sunday, thank them and let them know you've done more study. In fact, opening your Bible, read Proverbs 21:20 "A desirable treasure and oil are in the home of the wise; but a foolish man swallows it up."

Then you might mention that there is some difference of opinion about the Consumer Report article since one of their sources, Vincentric, claims hybrid-electrics have a 16% lower cost of ownership compared to the gas-only 8% lower cost of ownership.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the additional info Bob. This is what I came up with using the figures you provided from Kelly BB.

Your figures from above:

12,000 mi/yr * 5 years = 60,000 mi.
$08,860 - 2001 Echo suggested retail price
$16,250 - 2001 Prius suggested retail price

24,000 mi/yr * 5 years = 120,000 mi.
$07,250 - 2001 Echo suggested retail price
$13,500 - 2001 Prius suggested retail price

As for new prices in 2001, we priced both locally in Huntsville and bought the Echo:
$14,200 - 2001 Echo purchase price
$21,000 - 2001 Prius offered price

My calculations:

01 Prius 5 yr/120k
$7500 depreciation or 36% depreciation from orig price

01 Echo 5 yr/120K
$6950 depreciation or 49% depreciation from orig price

01 Prius 5 yr/60K
$4750 depreciation or 23% depreciation from orig price

01 Echo 5 yr/60K
$5340 depreciation or 38% depreciation from orig price

There may be a problem with my analysis but what I get from this is that the Prius costs more initially but holds its value better.

One other thing thing that could done is factor in the time value of money over the 5 years for the difference in lower sales price for the Echo and
see where that minus the Echo resale value comes out.

Before tvm it looks like this:

$16250 Prius Resale
- 8860 Echo Resale
$ 7390

or

$13500 Prius Resale
- 7250 Echo Resale
$ 6250

Including tvm getting 5% interest on the $6800 difference it looks like this:

$16250 Prius Resale
- 8860 Echo Resale
$ 7390
- 7699.46 $6800 difference plus interest at 5% over 5 years
$ (309.46)

or

$13500 Prius Resale
- 7250 Echo Resale
$ 6250
- 7699.46 $6800 difference plus interest at 5% over 5 years
$ (1249.46)

This means if I bought a Prius and keep it 5 yr/120K and sell it it will cost me at most $1449.46 more that the Echo over the 5 year period, including the price differential. Using CRs mileage amounts (75K) would make the number between the $1449.46 and $309.46 That's between $5 and $25 per month more.

I am not addressing anything but depreciation here but I think CR really missed this part. I believe they did use a Corolla instead so the numbers might change but I am (just) guessing the result would be similar.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by abowles
Thanks for the additional info Bob. This is what I came up with using the figures you provided from Kelly BB.
. . .
This means if I bought a Prius and keep it 5 yr/120K and sell it it will cost me at most $1449.46 more that the Echo over the 5 year period, including the price differential. Using CRs mileage amounts (75K) would make the number between the $1449.46 and $309.46 That's between $5 and $25 per month more.

I am not addressing anything but depreciation here but I think CR really missed this part. I believe they did use a Corolla instead so the numbers might change but I am (just) guessing the result would be similar.
You're welcome on the data. After my arithmetic error, I'm glad you ran the numbers. I agree CR missed the boat on depreciation costs as others have pointed out. There are several ways to calculate depreciation costs but the consensus is they blew it.

As for using the Corolla, this really confused me. In 2001, we needed a car for my wife and compared the 1500 cc Echo to the 1500 cc Prius. Both cars had simular dimensions, identical displacements and only a 500 lb. difference in weight. We looked at the Corolla but it was significantly lower to the ground than the Echo and Prius; had a larger engine than both the Prius and Echo and; worse MPG than the Echo.

BTW, I wrote CR a 'letter' too:

March 4, 2006

Margot Slade
Editor, CR/Editor-in-Chief
101 Truman Ave.
Yonkers, NY 10703-1057

Dear Margot,

The April 2006 article "The dollars & sense of hybrids" states on pp.
21:

". . .
Hybrids aren't expected to hold their value as well as their
conventional gas-powered equivalents, according to our analysis of data
from Vincentric, a company that compiles ownership costs for some 1,900
vehicles . . ."
Yet a press release from Vincentric reports something quite different:

"BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Michigan - January 17, 2006 - Vincentric's Best Value
in America(TM) awards were announced today, with hybrid vehicles leading
the way."

"The Toyota Prius, along with the hybrid versions of the Ford Escape,
the Honda Civic, . . ."

"The strong value of hybrids was clear when both a hybrid and non-hybrid
version of the same vehicle were compared to other vehicles in the same
segments."

"In those instances, the hybrid version had ownership costs that
averaged 16.2% lower than a similarly priced competitor, while the
non-hybrid version had ownership costs 7.9% lower.
. . ."
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...17/207569.html

Why does Vincentric, your source, reaches a different conclusion than
your article?

Robert J. Wilson
9011 Randall Road
Huntsville, AL 35802
256-***-**** (w)

Old 03-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Nice letter to CR. Much better than mine. I wonder if CR will reply to us?

Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Go Army!

Originally Posted by worthywads
Does CR now include advertisements?
No, they do not. They also do not give manufacturer's permission to use their name in advertisements (i.e. you won't see Sears advertising any of their appliances as a "Consumer Reports Best Buy selection").

There are plenty of other publications out there with "Consumers" in their name, including Consumers Digest, which does accept paid advertisments.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by David Harville
No, they (Consumer Reports RJW) do not. They also do not give manufacturer's permission to use their name in advertisements (i.e. you won't see Sears advertising any of their appliances as a "Consumer Reports Best Buy selection").

There are plenty of other publications out there with "Consumers" in their name, including Consumers Digest, which does accept paid advertisments.
Add to that Popular Science and Popular Mechanics which accepts paid advertisements including those that are written in exactly the same style as their regular articles.

I would be interested in knowing the exact issue of the Consumer Reports in 2001 that accepted this one and only reported case of a "Paid Advertisement". We have been subscribers for decades and never seen it. Furthermore, I can't find any Google hits that support this claim.

I've called the Huntsville Public Library and they have all 12 issues of the 2001 Consumer Reports bound at the reference desk. I'll head down there after work and go over each and every page.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I've called the Huntsville Public Library and they have all 12 issues of the 2001 Consumer Reports bound at the reference desk. I'll head down there after work and go over each and every page.

Bob Wilson
Looks like we're gonna get to bottom of this one.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports - Hybrid cost article

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands