Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Edmunds blogg -- curious behavior

Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Engineering first
Default Edmunds blogg -- curious behavior

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...eco-snobs.html

. . .
But is there some truth to the idea that Prius owners are eco-snobs?

It's a pretty common belief around here that the owners of a Toyota Prius (and other hybrids) enjoy making a statement about being eco-friendly. . . .
Belief is one thing, reality something else. I'm getting a bad feeling that Edmunds has decided to overtly join the hybrid skeptics crowd.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Edmunds blogg -- curious behavior

"Snob" and "making a statement" are very different things. This is America and our cars are one of the most public statements we make about ourselves. New car sales would crash if we didn't think people would notice the car. Now, pointing fingers and laughing at SUVs in the gas station is probably a little over the top.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Old Boomer Techie

It has been my own experience that the person bringing up the hybrid badge on my car is most often the driver of the gas guzzler filling up accross the pump ally or next to me. I seldom raise the issue myself.

Why they do this, I don't know, but it often comes with an "explanation" or justification as to why they own a (big car, minivan, suv, truck, etc.). On a few occasions, they have become either irritated or irate, presumably becasue it costs me less to fill up or operate my car than what they pay. I have learned not to engage in these situations. It is pretty easy to sort out who is genuinely interested vs. those described above.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I stopped looking when I saw that the link address is for a blog. Such things aren't worth quoting or discussing, in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

My impression has always been that Edmunds.com was "hybrid skeptic". My actual experience with reading articles by Edmunds and in hearing Edmunds.com writers speak, such as on the local "Radio Times" here in Philly is that Edmunds.com is "hybrid ignorant".

They really need to just shut up and get behind the wheel of a Prius for a good long time; like for about 50,000 miles in mixed traffic and weather conditions. While they are at it, they could also take a serious stab at hypermiling. And THEN get back to us with some intelligent reporting that is actually rooted in experience and real world data.

So far, Edmunds.com has disseminated a lot of worthless misinformation.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 AM
ice
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
"Snob" and "making a statement" are very different things. This is America and our cars are one of the most public statements we make about ourselves. New car sales would crash if we didn't think people would notice the car. Now, pointing fingers and laughing at SUVs in the gas station is probably a little over the top.
I agree. Very good points. We'll we can't blame them to act like that anyway.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

This is classic stereo-typing. The general TV media has helped root this stereo type with dim-witted Hollywood celebs boast about their Prius, without a clue. It is painfully obvious that they own the car so they can say "I am green and I have the merit-badge-car to prove it!" Nevermind all the other eco-unfriendly aspects of their lives.

Ironically, every person that I know who owns a Prius, Insight or TCH (prev Prius owners). Chose the cars for FE only. The environmental benefit is nice, but changes resulting in a jump in daily miles was the driving force. So if the hybrids didn't exist, they would likely be driving Fits, Yaris, etc. Many have expressed concerns to me over the perceived arrogance associated with Prius. One owner commented that he feels like the SUV owners 10 years ago, who were "attacked" by eco-zelots in California. Keep in mind that this will vary by where you live.