Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Excellent Ford displays

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Excellent Ford displays

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DTL&type=autos

. . .
Both models offer drivers a way to be more connected to the hybrid driving experience thanks to Ford's "SmartGauge" with "EcoGuide," a unique instrument cluster execution that acts as a coach, engaging drivers real-time to help them achieve maximum fuel economy.

The system features two, high-resolution, full-color LCD screens on either side of the speedometer that can be configured to show different levels of information, including fuel and battery power levels, average and instant miles-per-gallon.

A tutorial mode built into the display helps the driver learn about the instrument cluster and the hybrid in a clever way that does not overwhelm non-technical users. Technical enthusiasts will be more interested in the detailed gauges that help them learn to become more efficient drivers. Drivers choose one of four data screens to display progressive levels of information: Inform, Enlighten, Engage and Empower.

The "Inform" level simply displays fuel level and battery charge status. "Enlighten" adds electric vehicle mode indicator and tachometer. "Engage" adds engine output power and battery output power. "Empower" adds power to wheels and accessory power consumption.

All levels can show instant fuel economy, fuel economy history, odometer, engine coolant temperature, what gear the car is in and trip data (trip fuel economy, time-elapsed fuel economy and miles to empty).
. . .
This is brilliant! So many of us have bought Scangauges or Graham Miniscanners or even made our own instrumentation to try and figure out what is going on. To build in the rudiments of efficient driving displays is absolutely brilliant.

Well done Ford!

Bob Wilson

Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Excellent Ford displays

Yes, Bob, I'm also very impressed with what I've read about the new Ford displays. I like the level of info, and the fact theat if you want to learn more, Ford is trying to help you do so. This will be great for the average driver who shows the least little bit of interest in how to optimize their hybrid experience. I hope they roll it into the Escape/Mariner Hybrids too.