Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Flaw drains gas from hybrid vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Site Founder
Default Flaw drains gas from hybrid vehicles

You know what we need? An "if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk" GreenHybrid mob group. When we find journalists who are blatantly ignorant, we'll send them 500 emails letting them know. Mr. Phelan, your little "experiment" proves nothing.

There's a loophole in how most hybrid gasoline-electric vehicles work, and countless gallons of gasoline are draining out of them.

Running the front defroster increases their fuel consumption drastically, as I discovered while driving three of them during Detroit's typically cold winter. Setting the air-conditioning on maximum cool has the same effect, so the problem is not limited to Northern regions.

The hybrids fell as much as 40 percent below the EPA mileage figures for combined city and highway driving during my recent test, which covered a mix of Detroit-area roads.

All three vehicles I drove probably got somewhat better fuel economy in my test than if I'd been driving conventional models, but this is just the latest example of hybrids falling short of the hype that surrounds them.
- http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...26hybrids.html

Old 03-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

The same is true with 99% of the conventional cars that I or my husband has driven so why are they singling out hybrids? Idiots!

Old 03-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Hybrids are magic cars. They all get EPA numbers and you can drive them up the mountain in a snow storm with no ill effects on milage.

</sarcasm>

Last edited by tbaleno; 03-26-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Site Founder

haha.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___Let me at him, let me at him!

___If this guy even had a slight clue as to what he was speaking of, he would know better and provide a service to his readers about automobiles in general instead of a disservice about hybrids in particular. What a knuckle head. Maybe Lars-ss and his HCH needs to take this guy out back for a good tongue lashing about A/C use in his Hybrid while living in AZ.? Maybe we could let Peggy have a piece of him too!

___Better yet, let’s see if this guy will post his own tank over tank data here in the RHMDB in whatever he drives. We could all have a good laugh afterwards

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Hi All:

___Aw darn. This guy is from the Detroit area and writes for the Detroit Free Press. I cannot wait to speak with him on Monday myself

Contact MARK PHELAN at 313-222-6731 or phelan@freepress.com

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Site Founder

Wayne, are you from Detroit?

Old 03-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Hi Jason:

___No, just north of Chicago but I think I will give him a phone call on Monday …

___I am trying to type posts and watch the Illini come back to tie it up in the Illinois – Arizona game. ****, what a game!!! Tied at 80 a piece at the buzzer!!!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 03-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Site Founder

We should have the mileage graphs back working by then, haha. You can make sure he writes a retraction story

Old 03-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Jason:

___Let me at him, let me at him!

___If this guy even had a slight clue as to what he was speaking of, he would know better and provide a service to his readers about automobiles in general instead of a disservice about hybrids in particular. What a knuckle head. Maybe Lars-ss and his HCH needs to take this guy out back for a good tongue lashing about A/C use in his Hybrid while living in AZ.? Maybe we could let Peggy have a piece of him too!

___Better yet, let’s see if this guy will post his own tank over tank data here in the RHMDB in whatever he drives. We could all have a good laugh afterwards

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Lemme at him! Lemme at him! I'm little but I'm mean!! GRRRR!

Quick Reply: Flaw drains gas from hybrid vehicles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands