Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford sees plug-in hybrids in 5-10 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Ford sees plug-in hybrids in 5-10 years

CNN

Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford sees plug-in hybrids in 5-10 years

Trying...to...resist...must...not...type...oh forget it.

Within five to 10 years we will start to see this technology in our hands
Brilliant. Toyota will have it in 2.

When asked if that meant plug-in hybrids would be available on showroom floors, Mulally said, "Yes. Sure."
Sigh. "Yes. Sure." is what you say when someone asks if you want whip on your latte, not what you say when asked if you intend to alter the strategic direction of the car company you run.

Mulally said the rollout of Ford plug-in hybrids is dependent on advancements to lithium ion batteries that will be charged by the car's owners using regular household electrical outlets.
In other words, if the technology does not fall out of the sky into my outstretched awaiting arms don't blame me if we don't actaully make any.

He declined to give a more precise production target, saying: "I can't go further than that. We will know a lot more in the next few years."
Which is another way of saying that this will not happen on my watch so whatever happens will be the next CEO's fault.

Has anyone seen American innovation anywhere? We seemed to have misplaced it.

Last edited by Tim; 07-31-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

American innovation was most recently sighted when Dick Cheney claimed he didn't have to follow the President's executive order on releasing information from the VP's office because the VP, as everyone knows, is an employee of the legislative branch (via his Pres-of-the-Senate duties) rather than of the executive branch, and thus is not subject to executive orders.

Now *that's* innovation.

--doug

Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
Trying...to...resist...must...not...type...oh forget it.

Brilliant. Toyota will have it in 2.
I don't know, I think Ford delivering plug-in Escapes by the end of this year, even in low quantities, is pretty encouraging. IMHO, it is more a question of cost than technology.

Mulally said it would provide So Cal Ed with 20 model year 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid sport utility vehicles reconfigured to work as plug-ins by 2009. The first will be delivered by the end of this year.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I don't know, I think Ford delivering plug-in Escapes by the end of this year, even in low quantities, is pretty encouraging. IMHO, it is more a question of cost than technology.
I missed that part - I hope he's right. I do actually hope for the best, even if I am a bit pessimistic.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've even read (either in the same article or related article) that SCE will put 20 of those PHEV FEH in normal everyday user's hands, to get normal everyday data...esp for those who have the special EV electrical metering...yes, SCE have special meter for EV charging...which gives you cheaper rates than normal.

"Bryson said So Cal Ed will make it a "real world" test by giving the Escapes to 20 consumers who have electric "smart meters" to monitor power used to charge the SUVs"

How do I sign up for that special meter?

Last edited by occ; 07-11-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added quote from article
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DougD
American innovation was most recently sighted when Dick Cheney claimed he didn't have to follow the President's executive order on releasing information from the VP's office because the VP, as everyone knows, is an employee of the legislative branch (via his Pres-of-the-Senate duties) rather than of the executive branch, and thus is not subject to executive orders.

Now *that's* innovation.

--doug
LOL.

Especially when Ford says 5-10 years and I see plug-in Priuses in SoCal right now. Oh look, there goes one driving down Crescent Heights right now.

They're going to innovate something that already exists?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 PM

Steve,

Is Toyota making those plug in Priuses?

Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Steve,

Is Toyota making those plug in Priuses?
No... and actually Toyota is stressed out about what the conversions might due to their liability in crash situations (they've argued to congress in the context of plug-in legislation that any strict liability that they'd normally incur should be borne by the companies doing the modifications.)

But that's not the point. The point is that people with far less resources than Toyota or Ford are making hybrid plug-ins a reality NOW.

The reason Toyota didn't do this in the first place is because when hybrids first came out, the question everyone who didn't know about them wanted to ask had to do with plugging them in. Toyota had done the consumer research to determine that the idea of plugging a car in was an impediment to getting people to accept them. How we wound up where we're at now is understandable.

But to talk about releasing a plug-in as an "innovation" is ludicrous, and that was the only point of what I was saying.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Don't forget that Volvo was working on a PHEV when Ford bought them in 1998. Ford promptly scrapped all development on it. And its not just Ford. Its ALL of them, Toyota included. It is really frustrating to have to listen to all of the excuses about why we have to wait ANY length of time for them from any manufacturer. They have the technology. THEY CAN BUILD PHEVs NOW!!

Quick Reply: Ford sees plug-in hybrids in 5-10 years

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands