Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Fox news story on gov't incentives on hybrids:

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:57 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Fox news story on gov't incentives on hybrids:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159430,00.html

Old 06-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fox news story on gov't incentives on hybrids:

I would have bought them anyway but it is good to know I can knock $4000 off my taxable income this year. Thanks for the link.

I read somewhere that some crazy western state (Oregon?) wants to tax Hybrid owners more since they aren't paying "their fair share" of gas taxes. In other words, penalize you for saving gas....

Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 AM

That move is also at the federal level also, to use GPS and bill you for every mile you drive. Every road a toll road, big brother watching.

That notion really scares me.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by zadscmc
That move is also at the federal level also, to use GPS and bill you for every mile you drive.
That is a scary thought. I have heard several of the feel-good ideas that are being tossed around such as peak-hour pricing, congestion zones, etc. Imagine the price of a gallon of gas varying based on how, what and where you drive.

The day U.S. citizens allow GPS units to track us and charge us money on our movements, we are done as a free country. Will I be required to retrofit my '65 Mustang or will the gov just take it away from me and scrap it?

Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM

Another method is at the yearly state safety inspection (we have one in NJ), the computer hookup that checks emmissions would record the mileage and send you a bill.

Ack. I do 30K a year.

30,000 * $.10 = $3000 more dollars into the black hole of the NJ DOT.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by zadscmc
Another method is at the yearly state safety inspection (we have one in NJ), the computer hookup that checks emmissions would record the mileage and send you a bill.
Good point - it is bad enough we in MA pay high gas taxes, excise tax on the value of the vehicle ($25/$1000), sales tax on the purchase price (5%), and outrageous non-competitive insurance. I'm sure that Taxachusetts will implement a per mile tax on our driving as soon as they can figure out a way to exempt their buddies, other politicians and any other protected group they can.

It used to be states got much of their revenue from smoking but so many have quit they have had to raise the cigarette taxes, forcing more people to quit. Now that people are buying fuel efficient vehicle they want to tax ME more for saving gas - insane!

Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

nitramjr,

Agreed - taxing hybrids makes no sense.

Instead, they should get exemptions and be allowed to use the HOV lanes with a single occupant.

Alternative proposal - tax conventional personal vehicles over 4000 pounds. If the user can prove it's legitimately used for hauling stuff (landscaping, construction, etc.) - they are exempt from the surcharge. Heavier vehicles require more road repair - they should pay more for their upkeep.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 06-16-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

thats so cool...so we can get the vehicle and drive it in HOV with one passenger?!

Last edited by lars-ss; 07-20-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Banned

They should provide incentives for *any* car that gets over 40mpg, not just hybrids.

troy

Old 07-20-2005, 09:33 AM

Troy, um, you know why they dont....Dirty Diesel exhaust....Let's please not get into that discussion again....when ULSD is prevalent in the USA that might change....

Quick Reply: Fox news story on gov't incentives on hybrids:

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands