Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Fuel cost vs. Hybrid

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Fuel cost vs. Hybrid

Okay here's a thought. If we all drove Hybrid vehicles, gas prices should drop right? Laws of supply and demand. Of course we would still feel good about using up less gas and helping better preserve mother earth.

However, I have a feeling that before most of us drove hybrid vehicle, gas prices will go up so high that the only possible vehicle anyone could afford to drive is a hybrid. It would be like today driving a 28MPG vehicle vs. a monster gasoline V8.

In other words, gas prices will alway beat fuel efficiency. The only true inexpensive and really independant energy is solar, but wait. I forsee the government taxing solar-powered vehicle.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel cost vs. Hybrid

Originally Posted by myhybrid
Okay here's a thought. If we all drove Hybrid vehicles, gas prices should drop right? Laws of supply and demand. Of course we would still feel good about using up less gas and helping better preserve mother earth.

However, I have a feeling that before most of us drove hybrid vehicle, gas prices will go up so high that the only possible vehicle anyone could afford to drive is a hybrid. It would be like today driving a 28MPG vehicle vs. a monster gasoline V8.

In other words, gas prices will alway beat fuel efficiency. The only true inexpensive and really independant energy is solar, but wait. I forsee the government taxing solar-powered vehicle.
How do you conclude that solar is inexpensive?

There is no feasible solar-powered vehicle in the foreseable future.

I appreciate you negative view of taxes though.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comment.

Solar is not to power the vehicle, rather to recharge the batteries.

I would also like to emphasize that solar is an independant source of energy, no price gouging would be possible.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myhybrid
Thanks for your comment.

Solar is not to power the vehicle, rather to recharge the batteries.

I would also like to emphasize that solar is an independant source of energy, no price gouging would be possible.
I'd guess you need more than the surface area of the vehicle to get a significant recharge. This time of year most people don't get home until well after the sun effective, there is no recharge for the next day. The charge home could be possible with a long day in the sun (with solar panels much more efficient that what is now available) but on a cloudy rainy day, not so.

I personally don't see EV every being more than commuter vehicles if the electricity has to be self contained especially if primarily solar. With electicity provided through the roadway maybe, but that's not the independence you have in mind.

Wind powered cars may have more potential in some areas.