Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Fuelish lessons

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Fuelish lessons

Although many high FE enthusiasts understand the more extreme techniques cited in the artical, the average reader may come away with the impression that hypermilers and what they do is extreme and sometimes dangerous.

I wish the article was written in reverse - just start with the high FE tips legally approved by the state trooper - these will get the average reader (non hybrid driver) 80% of their improvements anyway. After that more extreme hypermiling methods could be described.

I have cowworkers asking about my HCH2 FE - although I do a few of the hypermiling things - I only describe speed, tire pressure, avoiding stops (legally) and minimize AC. Most of them come back in a week or two really suprised at how well those things helped.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Fuelish lessons

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
. . .
Why are you attacking lightfoot? . . .
Less of an attack, as much as an answer to:
Originally Posted by lightfoot
Unfortunately journalists see it as some sort of bizarre behavior. . . .
When the reporter accurately wrote:
Originally Posted by Nara_Schoenberg
. . .
The trouble begins when we hit the nasty intersection at the mall, the one where Gerdes insists that we have right of way. I brake to avoid hitting a blue mini-van that doesn't stop at its stop sign, and get so flummoxed that I take a wrong turn. I come to my next required stop, in a Blockbuster lot, facing the wrong way, a move that Gerdes takes as his cue to get out of the hot car into the scorching sun and push.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Although many high FE enthusiasts understand the more extreme techniques cited in the artical, the average reader may come away with the impression that hypermilers and what they do is extreme and sometimes dangerous.

I wish the article was written in reverse - just start with the high FE tips legally approved by the state trooper - these will get the average reader (non hybrid driver) 80% of their improvements anyway. After that more extreme hypermiling methods could be described.

I have cowworkers asking about my HCH2 FE - although I do a few of the hypermiling things - I only describe speed, tire pressure, avoiding stops (legally) and minimize AC. Most of them come back in a week or two really suprised at how well those things helped.
Exactly! We don't need extreme driving to sell fuel savings. It may not get as much press but it is a more effective approach. That along with adopting fuel saving technologies.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast

Well Bob, you seem determined to misrepresent everything I say, so this is probably hopeless, but one last attempt to clarify.
Originally Posted by bwilson4web
If it is factual, there is nothing wrong with what journalists write-up including extreme hypermiler driving.
Well yes there is actually. A journalist doesn't have room to present ALL the facts, so which facts are selected and how they are presented have a profound effect on the impact of an article. I did some journalism as a sideline for about 10 years so I'm well aware of how that works. I tried to be as accurate as I could, but I wasn't under pressure to present something splashy to sell papers as newspaper journalists are.
But it doesn't impact my appreciation of irony. For example, ". . . the huge pitfalls of the whole hybrid thing . . ." followed by assertions of the superiority of one driving style and blaming negative impressions on journalists.
As (I thought) I clearly stated hypermiling isn't one driving style, it's a family of methods that one tests and selects from for efficacy and safety. So what works for one person in one car on one sort of trip may be quite different for another person in another vehicle doing a different kind of driving. Is that clearer?
Where do you think the journalists got their information about hypermiler driving including 'hopping out to push a car in the heat?' This was the perfect stunt to pull in front of someone who may wear a dress and high heels. About half of the article readers also wear the occasional dress and of the remaining, many wear suits, ties and office dress clothes.
Again, you impose your own framework on someone else's actions. Isn't it also possible that he simply was trying to fix the mpg lost by her getting flustered and stopping, so as to help her get the best mpg possible on her test run?
I don't expect hypermiler advocates to appreciate the irony of owning and driving a hybrid but it still tickles my funny bone.
Sorry, I'm dumb, I don't see any irony there. I thought combining reasonable driving methods and technology to get the best mpg possible was the whole idea, no? The irony I do see is that you yourself use basic hypermiling techniques (lower speeds, driving gently) and then express contempt for the concept that drivers can make a difference.

What is also ironic to me is that an engineer would have such a closed mind about exploring different methods and be contemptuous of those that do. I've been a scientist all my life and this is not how science and engineering usually work.

But, hey, gotta leave on that trip now. Hope your cold gets better.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Banned

Bob,

Here is big portion of the article you deliberately choose to ignore
Originally Posted by article
..."Common sense is you should have your car running, because you know what? You've got power-assisted brakes, power steering," he adds.

But hypermilers routinely follow driving practices that are safe and legal for all of us, and these gas-saving tips passed muster with Valenzuela:
1. Obey speed limits, especially on highways.

2. Minimize braking and idling.

3. Check your oil level; overfilling is bad for fuel efficiency.

4. Accelerate and brake softly and smoothly.

5. Time stoplights, slowing down by letting up on the accelerator if the light is red so you don't have to stop.

6. Don't accelerate toward stoplights and signs.

7. Minimize use of air conditioning.

8. Plan trips for fewer stops and to eliminate unnecessary driving.
Bob, I gave you links with a podcast interview I gave (nextgear), and a video Randy Burkhalter - find examples of extreme hypermiling. You also failed to answer about my 600 miles shift driving Dan's Prius II from Texas to Chicago getting 60mpg at a steady 60mph without using hypermiling per se (i.e. the steady driving you advocate, but with better results).

In the past, you have opened up a thread attacking CleanMPG, the same night put the Insight Marathon under more scrunity than the Prius Marathon or Teddy' Bear's achievement, then made a number of follow-up inquisitions on the Insight Marathon - you could have saved energy working with Wayne prior to the Insight Marathon and we would welcome you if you could live up to that objective, dispassionate disposition you profess to have.

This site is named GreenHybrid. Objective minds will disagree with your earlier declaration to lightfoot that the Insight is a non-hybrid. Hypermiling (and the list I quoted at the start of this post) is being greener because it reduces greenhouse gases, other pollutants, and energy consumed. Bob - you have a problem with both of these and intentionally misrepresent them. It's logical to assume you have issues with iBrands (who owns GH) call for hypermilers:I'm at a loss to understand how you are promoting GreenHybrid (or yourself) with your siege on hypermilers, Insights, etc. Again, your attacks resembles the friendly fire on Pat Tillman, except I can say in defense of the troops involved it was unintentional.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-03-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Chuck, I think you may be taking Bob's statements a little more hostilely than they were intended. The two of you and lightfoot seem to be disagreeing about how positive or negative this article seems more than anything else, even the driving techniques. I can understand feeling defensive about statements anyone makes about a friend, and of course we all need to be civil to each other, but please keep in mind that this is a discussion, not a fight, and we all do want the same thing: more efficient driving.

We can disagree about the best way to achieve that (better engineering, better drivers, combinations of both) and what the responsibilities of the media might be to society to help achieve it, but let's not make more of those disagreements than they are by taking things too personally or assuming a hostile intent every time. Declare a truce and get back to issues of substance!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Chuck, I think you may be taking Bob's statements a little more hostilely than they were intended. The two of you and lightfoot seem to be disagreeing about how positive or negative this article seems more than anything else, even the driving techniques. I can understand feeling defensive about statements anyone makes about a friend, and of course we all need to be civil to each other, but please keep in mind that this is a discussion, not a fight, and we all do want the same thing: more efficient driving.

We can disagree about the best way to achieve that (better engineering, better drivers, combinations of both) and what the responsibilities of the media might be to society to help achieve it, but let's not make more of those disagreements than they are by taking things too personally or assuming a hostile intent every time. Declare a truce and get back to issues of substance!
If only a PM was an option, esp on a thread like this.

leahbeatle, Bob has been trying to discredit all hypermilers as extremists for a long time in at least six different threads - just as valid a statement as all bikers are in motorcycle gangs. He ignores a substantial part of the Tribute article on mainstream tips on FE, because his POV is more important than the truth - same on links to interviews myself and others have given. In PM's, Bob has dismissed hypermilers as idiots and expressed naked arrogance - so you don't have the whole story. Really wish I could PM this part.

This was dying down - if you studied this, you would be asking Bob Wilson to stop bringing these hypermiling attacks up again and again.

Yes, I'd be happy for this to stop, but I doubt you believe in being silent when things are seriously misrepresented either.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-03-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Engineering first

Apparently, there have been only two comments posted about the article:
Originally Posted by Hardly_Extreme
If we step back and think about it, much of what happens on the highways today is far more extreme than hypermiling techniques. . . .
Originally Posted by HAFNHAF
There are a few cars (like my Honda Insight) that do not need to have their engine on for power steering (it's electric) or power brakes (it will re-start when the brake vacuum reservoir gets low).
Both comments by hypermiler defenders who write as if they are hybrid, not "conventional car" owners. Guess I'll have to add my two cents.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could it be that Wayne got out to push just to try and minimize the impact of the wrong turn, get him back on the original track, and allow for a better before and after comparison? That was my first impression when I read the article.

As others have stated as well, Wayne has been a great resource for me to improve my fuel economy in all of my vehicles. Nobody is being forced to use his full range of techniques, and I don't see the problem with sharing this information. The full range is included in the article.

Bob, I've never understood your animosity towards hypermilers. As you often do in other threads and have done to me many times, you are misrepresenting what people say in this thread and them sitting back and admiring some irony that nobody else seems to get.

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Sorry, I'm dumb, I don't see any irony there. I thought combining reasonable driving methods and technology to get the best mpg possible was the whole idea, no? The irony I do see is that you yourself use basic hypermiling techniques (lower speeds, driving gently) and then express contempt for the concept that drivers can make a difference.

What is also ironic to me is that an engineer would have such a closed mind about exploring different methods and be contemptuous of those that do. I've been a scientist all my life and this is not how science and engineering usually work.
I am a scientist as well and could not agree more.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
. . . you are misrepresenting what people say in this thread and them sitting back and admiring some irony that nobody else seems to get. . . .
The quotes are accurate and remain amusing. For example:
Originally Posted by Kite
. . .Wayne got out to push just to try and minimize the impact of the wrong turn, get him back on the original track, and allow for a better before and after comparison? That was my first impression when I read the article.
Original article:
Originally Posted by Nara_Schoenberg
The trouble begins when we hit the nasty intersection at the mall, the one where Gerdes insists that we have right of way. I brake to avoid hitting a blue mini-van that doesn't stop at its stop sign, and get so flummoxed that I take a wrong turn. I come to my next required stop, in a Blockbuster lot, facing the wrong way, a move that Gerdes takes as his cue to get out of the hot car into the scorching sun and push.
Your description is accurate?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-03-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuelish lessons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands