Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

General Motors plans to close 4 truck and SUV plants

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default General Motors plans to close 4 truck and SUV plants

This is so GM... wait until gas reaches $4/gal to start making fundamental changes in their product lineup. What a poorly run company.

It's sad that the 10,000 workers affected have to lose out because GM's executives are living in 1999 where gas is $1/gal.

Quote of the article - "He also said the iconic Hummer brand will be reviewed and potentially sold or revamped."

Read more...

http://www.startribune.com/business/...refer=Business

Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor
Default Re: General Motors plans to close 4 truck and SUV plants

Wait... There won't be a "2-Mode" Hummer H2? But they could hybridize the base model so it'll go from getting 8 MPG (city) to 11 MPG. And there'd only be a $15k upcharge!

Er... Maybe not.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Payback is a B****!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pagemap
This is so GM... wait until gas reaches $4/gal to start making fundamental changes in their product lineup. What a poorly run company.

It's sad that the 10,000 workers affected have to lose out because GM's executives are living in 1999 where gas is $1/gal.

Quote of the article - "He also said the iconic Hummer brand will be reviewed and potentially sold or revamped."

Read more...

http://www.startribune.com/business/...refer=Business
I totally agree with you about the workers. While GM execs are making in the millions, the working people have to suffer. Why should they care about gas prices? It is quite evident that they don't. Maybe they should consider crushing the HUMMERS, just like they did with the EV1s! GM really is hopeless and will not catch up with the Japanese. Nissan is planned to have EVs on the market beginning 2010; Honda will have three hybrids in the next few years and Toyota will have the plug-in Prius.

Way to go GM - keep the Cadillac Escalade and Hummer commercials coming.....

Old 06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is a report within the last month--May 8th 2008.
This is the link: http://www.economist.com/business/di...ry_id=11332425

When Nissan launches its new line of electrical vehicles in America in 2010, it will initially target fleet buyers, which can provide their own charging stations. “It will be a real business,” says Tom Lane, Nissan's global product-planning chief, “not just a way to sell 200 cars in California.” He expects sales to retail buyers to begin in 2012, at a price of around $25,000.
Nissan is also hedging its bets by developing both a “parallel hybrid” system (akin to that found in the Toyota Prius) and a plug-in “series hybrid” similar to the Chevy Volt. But it favours the all-electric approach, even though it will be a tough sell, says Mr Lane. As for Mr Ghosn, he has no doubts. “We must have zero-emission vehicles,”

This indicates Nissian's electric vehicle can not be purchased by John and Jane Doe in 2010. This article brings into question what the "charging-station" is? Could it be something like--oh no, the EV1's paddles to allow for quick charge?

As for the plug in Pirius, I have yet to read Jane and John Doe can purchase this vehicle at any time in the future . GM has stated late 2010 for the Volt.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Hybrid Lover

If and when they release the Volt, I'll be interested to see how well it does. I know the folks who had the EV-1 loved them, but I don't see how the Volt will have mass appeal. And it takes a good size volume of sales to make it worthwhile. I think for many it will make a good second, in-town vehicle, which is why I love my hybrid. However, having a Volt would force me to own a 2nd, traditional vehicle which would require licensing, insurance, etc. But, it may be great when it comes out. I'm excited to see how it turns out when it finally is released.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As much as I'm anti-union, I have to say that it is really unfortunate for all those workers who have committed a lifetime to GM to have their careers end this way. While I used to subscribe to the "it's the UAW's fault" bandwagon b/c of their unrealistic demands, since keeping up with current events at cleanmpg and this site I can see that the lack of foresight at GM, Ford and especially Chrysler is as much, if not more of a problem for domestics.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwltch
but I don't see how the Volt will have mass appeal.

Why are you making this statement?

I think for many it will make a good second, in-town vehicle, which is why I love my hybrid. However, having a Volt would force me to own a 2nd, traditional vehicle which would require licensing, insurance, etc. .
Why would owning a Volt force one to own a 2nd, traditional vehicle? The Volt does come with an internal combustion engine just like the current hybrids you can purchase today. This link http://gas2.org/2008/04/10/chevy-vol...by-months-end/
is stating the Volt will have a 400 mile range per tank on a smaller and lighter fuel tank than on orginal plans. Initial plans are 40 miles of pure electric drive followed by hybrid function with the ICE which should net 50 mpg in this function. This could produce a 150 mpg net average!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Why would owning a Volt force one to own a 2nd, traditional vehicle? The Volt does come with an internal combustion engine just like the current hybrids you can purchase today. This link http://gas2.org/2008/04/10/chevy-vol...by-months-end/
is stating the Volt will have a 400 mile range per tank on a smaller and lighter fuel tank than on orginal plans. Initial plans are 40 miles of pure electric drive followed by hybrid function with the ICE which should net 50 mpg in this function. This could produce a 150 mpg net average!
From the article you linked: "The Volt will have a range of about 400 miles per tank, down from the original 640 mile estimate due to a smaller, lighter fuel tank going into the production model."

That's disappointing.... I would prefer the extra 240 mile range.

Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, so shaving off 240 miles of range (at 50 MPG) is a weight savings of about 29 pounds/13kg with a full tank. I'd rather the Volt be 29 pounds heavier and have the extra range, but that's just me...

Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Engineering first

Having driven many, repeated, long distance routes, the extra range allows intelligent buying from affordable gas areas. I agree that a 500+ mile range is very useful.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: General Motors plans to close 4 truck and SUV plants

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands