Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

GM exec: We need more new Hummers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default GM exec: We need more new Hummers

"Hummer needs some more products. It needs two or three more products to give it sufficient market coverage," General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told reporters at the opening of a Hummer dealership in Paris.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/28/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned
Default Re: GM exec: We need more new Hummers

I finally found some people who's judgement doesn't measure up to Terrell Owens' this week in his "sucide attempt" - GM management and people that keep buying Hummers.

In 2003, J D Powers & Associates reported an average of 133 complaints per 100 new vehicles. Vehicle that had the most complaints? Hummer - with 225 complaints.

This time a year ago, pump prices were over $3.00 - even $5.00 a gallon after Katrina. This kind of behavior leads me to believe Alzheimer's is definitely on the rise...

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 09-28-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I finally found some people who's judgement doesn't measure up to Terrell Owens' this week in his "sucide attempt" - GM management and people that keep buying Hummers.

In 2003, J D Powers & Associates reported an average of 133 complaints per 100 new vehicles. Vehicle that had the most complaints? Hummer - with 225 complaints.

This time a year ago, pump prices were over $3.00 - even $5.00 a gallon after Katrina. This kind of behavior leads me to believe Alzheimer's is definitely on the rise...
Now Chuck, be fair. There's still some oil left somewhere. We need to suck it out of the ground soon or it may go bad.

Seriously, at least they're ceasing production of the biggest, baddest H1 and they claim they're considering a smaller vehicle, about the size of a Wrangler. At least it's less excess. Not an ideal solution, but what is?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Banned

On the mention of Terrell Owens, I just remembered that his boss Jerry Jones was an oilman.

On the 225 complaints per 100 Hummers, a significant number of them related to fuel economy. That could be called buyer's remorse. Can't blame GM engineers for the fuel economy - some people have an urge to posture (as opposed to a pragmatic need) Everything about the "bold" and "cool" look of a Hummer drinks gas faster than anythings else. If you make a Hummer seriously fuel efficient - it ceases to be a Hummer.

I might get some feedback about th H3 is not that bad. Compare it to a similar-sized CUV with FWD, sloped frontal area. lower axel height, and non-oversized wheels. I don't have a specifc model in mind, but the FE would probably be 25-30mpg - not 17-20mpg. If anyone finds a good comparison, the difference has got to be more than 2-3mpg...

So Kevorkian wants to expand the Hummer line. Long-term, the pirce at the pump will go back up and Detroit will see Truck/SUV sales take additional hits. So GM wants to reinforce their image of focing with hulking gas-guzzeling vehicles? They need sucide counciling more than Terrell Owens.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-06-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just when I thought GM had a glimmer of hope from the last thread about feul cell vehicle...oh wait...it's GM about fuel cell vehicle. I stand corrected.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I'll go on record as saying the Hummer is the stupidest vehicle ever created. But I guess GM likes selling them because people buy them as a status symbol. Probably most of the people who buy them (think they) can afford higher gas bills. Or maybe they are just foolish and don't think it through. Oh well, hopefully the Hummer line will turn into a huge bust. Either way, it's just another nail in GM's coffin.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Eh, the "military look" is popular with a lot of Americans, just not many Americans that post here ;o) It's a smart marketing scheme. All I care is that they get taxed (luxury tax and gas guzzler tax perhaps) rather than rewarded ($25,000 tax credit if you claim it as a business car - which most Hummer buyers do, regardless of whether they have a business). If you like the military look that much, you pay for the war.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's a popular look and then people whine when they have to spend $500 a week on gas to actually drive it.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Proud to be GM

Food for thought........

Each successive new Hummer has been smaller and more fuel efficient than the previous.

HUMMV: Military vehicle. It is what it is
H1: "Civilian" version of the HUMMV. Diesel powered, don't recall what the mileage is/was.
H2: Built on same basic frame as a Tahoe, but heavier and less aerodynamic (understatement )
H3: Built on same basic frame as Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon. VERY competitive on fuel economy with other mid-sized SUVs (15 city, 21 hwy. Better than Explorer and several others)

So IF what Bob Lutz is suggesting is that there MIGHT be additional products in the Hummer portfolio, what do we think they might be?

Peace,

Martin

Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Energy Independence

Baby Hummers? Would that be HumBees or Bummers or HBs
I agree smaller is better, even if it's Hummers.

Quick Reply: GM exec: We need more new Hummers

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands