Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

GM to subsidize gas purchases

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default GM to subsidize gas purchases

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060523/autos...%3D1&quicken=2

Now there's a business concept.

Hey we can't compete with Toyota, Ford, and Honda by making our cars more effecient, so let's just help our customers buy gas for these things.

You just got to love the way Detroit thinks sometimes.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: GM to subsidize gas purchases

Wow. They don't subsidize their entire fleet, only the most egregious of gas-guzzlers like the Hummers and the Yukons...

Wow. Exactly the thinking that has been ****ing GM so far.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow. That's ****ed up, in so many ways.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

That is too messed up for words. It is offical, I hate GM.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I heard this this monring, and almost had to pull over to puke.

When you're sinking in the deep end, every means to stay above water starts to look attractive, even those that you rationally know will hurt you later. You rationalize to deal with that consequence when it happens.

I can't wait to hear martin's justification for this one. I've been pulling hard for GM and have come to believe in the track they've taken on hybrids/efficiency, but I feel my grip slipping...

Just when you think they are onboard, they come up with a short-term 'please the shareholders this quarter' solution that is going to bite them in the **** within 36 months.

Unfortunately I feel certain that at least Ford will follow.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by foo monkey
Wow. That's ****ed up, in so many ways.
I agree. Whats even worse is that congress (both parties) had similar ideas for the gas 'crisis'.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

but Congress had the sense in the end to realize that the public will only take so much blatant pandering before throwing up from the sugarcoating.

People WILL fall for this one, though. And it'll be GM throwing up- more of its value as an institution.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:31 AM
YA RLY.

GM = Give'em Money

Old 05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

Have you heard of the expression: "they are sooo UGLY they have to wear pork chops for the dog to come to them?" That sort of sounds like GM these days.

If a recent Consumer's Report article is to be believed (one third of US drivers considering trading to an FE vehicle), GM is going to have to offer, $1.99 gas, pork chops, and more to sell most of their gas guzzlers.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

It is probably a smart move, sales wise, in those two states.It is only $1000/car, much less than the $2500 Toyota currently rebates on the Tundra in CA for example. A lot of the fear folks have about buying a guzzler is "suppose gas goes to $4 next month". Well, that will be a big selling point for GM. Of course, if gas does go to $4,the rebate will be twice as much!
It is just a slightly tricky rebate-big deal.I bet GM will lobby GB to ease the Iranian mess-not that it will do anygood.GB is lame duck-why would he care-he isn't running for re-election (unless Jeb runs-unlikely).
GM has to keep body and soul together until its costs are closer to Toyota/Honda. They aren't better because of some"Japanese magic"-they are better because their plants are in non union/low wage states, and they don't have a huge backlog of retirees.It is easy to be better if you have another $1000 per car to play with.Thanks,Charlie
PS I have to admit that Honda does have some "Japanese magic", but it is actually "Honda" magic.Their emphasis on "efficient" and safe cars has been a boon to consumers; but it really hasn't been good for Honda.Look at Toyota-all those V-8'S,and over priced Lexus have made them many times larger than Honda.Honda has always made better motors than Toyota, but Toyota makes more money.Too bad really, I always preferred Honda to Toyota, but I have owned 3 times as many Toyotas.A Honda V-8 would have been a jewel! Toyota gives em what they want-Honda gives them what they need!! Which prescription wins?

Quick Reply: GM to subsidize gas purchases

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands