Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

go back to 55 mph?

Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default go back to 55 mph?

I heard on a local talk radio show that Hillary Clinton recently proposed, as part of finding our way out of the "energy crisis", that we return to 55 mph speed limits. I have not been able to confirm that.

But, assuming this is on the table, what do you think?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Default Re: go back to 55 mph?

Didn't they do this in the 70's? Hasn't it been proven to be ineffective?

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/69045.htm

May 24, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - In a surprise move yesterday, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton called for "most of the country" to return to a speed limit of 55 mph in an effort to slash fuel consumption.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Let's try a carrot rather than a stick - shall we???

Eric

Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: go back to 55 mph?

Originally Posted by toast64
I heard on a local talk radio show that Hillary Clinton recently proposed, as part of finding our way out of the "energy crisis", that we return to 55 mph speed limits. I have not been able to confirm that.

But, assuming this is on the table, what do you think?
Back then I had a 1500 cc, VW MicroBus and loved it. But then 55 mph was pretty close to the maximum speed in the high-plains areas areas, +5,000 ft.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

How about a compromise. 60mph?

Check out this poll:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797

Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I'd rather have the $100.

I just don't see that doing anything other than making interstate travel painful. My problem, and I'm guessing the problem of a lot of folks, is traffic - not speed. I never see faster than 50 MPH due to congestion alone. Want to improve economy? How about addressing 30 minutes of stop and go traffic...

Old 05-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

If i drive 55 on the interstate here around Chicago, i'd better have a ramp on the back of my car !!!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Noway! We have to look forward to the future, and not to the past.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clubford00
If i drive 55 on the interstate here around Chicago, i'd better have a ramp on the back of my car !!!
OMG! I drove thru Chicago once and was petrified. I felt like i was on the autobahn!!!

Here's my opinon. Yes, it is a pretty dumb suggestion which no one will iisten to. I would not care, I am not in a perpetual rush like most people out there. I'd get better fuel mileage too. What I see though, is a recognition of the problem. When the White House says that we do not need to change our ways and big SUV's and poor mileage cars are just "The American Way." Great, being an energy pig is the American Dream.
At least she is recongizing the problem- it is the first step. If everyone else in Washington ignores the crisis at hand, things are never gonna get better. Denial sucks.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:29 AM

Actually, I think that the speed limit to be lowered to 55 for any vehicle getting less than 30mpg at that speed. You could never enforce it, but SUV's (with the exception of Porsche & BMW) were not designed for high speeds.

55 is a better speed limit than 65, in terms of fuel consumption, but at 55, people drove 65. At 65, people drive 70. A law that everyone's ignoring is useless. Leave it at 65, but enforce it vigorously. It's not a recommendation, it's a law.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: go back to 55 mph?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands