Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

go back to 55 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: go back to 55 mph?

Originally Posted by blinkard
Actually, I think that the speed limit to be lowered to 55 for any vehicle getting less than 30mpg at that speed. You could never enforce it, but SUV's (with the exception of Porsche & BMW) were not designed for high speeds.

55 is a better speed limit than 65, in terms of fuel consumption, but at 55, people drove 65. At 65, people drive 70. A law that everyone's ignoring is useless. Leave it at 65, but enforce it vigorously. It's not a recommendation, it's a law.
Something like an unlimited speed limit lane with periodic passing lanes. Entrance requires an MPG efficient car. I LIKE IT!

Basicly three lanes of very high-speed, very level, all weather surface. The passing lane would have bulbous traction barriers to indicate which side has passing privilages in the center lane. Then have a set on the right side for 'auto steer.' This would be a great way to introduce 'smart streets' with automated drafting and steering.

Imagine a string of six hybrids rolling down the highway at 100 mph tucked within 10 ft. of each other. In each case, the driver is reading a book, watching the scenery and monitoring progress. Then at each 'passing lane', the lead car slows a bit and the others pass him and the lead becomes the follower. Their average MPG would still be over 50 MPG!!

Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson

Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Something like an unlimited speed limit lane with periodic passing lanes. Entrance requires an MPG efficient car. I LIKE IT!
Actually, I was thinking something more along the lines of, "Got an efficient car? Welcome to the highway. Got an SUV? You're welcome to drive on this dirt access road. Mind the stone chips."

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Imagine a string of six hybrids rolling down the highway at 100 mph tucked within 10 ft. of each other. In each case, the driver is reading a book, watching the scenery and monitoring progress.
I have to say that if I were in a car with auto-steer running 100mph, 10 feet from another car, I would not be reading a book. I would be sweating profusely, with my hands about an inch from the wheel, ready to slam on the breaks at any second.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Banned
Default Jumping in Late

The 55mph speed limit went over like Prohibition and was repealed.

There are plenty of other alternatives to save fuel, starting with enforcing the existing speed limits. It seems like nearly everyone drives 10mph over the posted speed limit on the highway with impunity - enforce it. Set up videocam speed traps like that one in (Scottsdale?) Arizona.

Raise the CAFE standards, shift the Federal revenue a bit from income taxes to gas pump prices.....

Old 05-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
Actually, I was thinking something more along the lines of, "Got an efficient car? Welcome to the highway. Got an SUV? You're welcome to drive on this dirt access road. Mind the stone chips."

They can put that 4 wheel drive to work

Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Hmm, Lets see. that's like regulating the price of gas. All that did was create long waiting lines at gas stations. The memories that stand out the most about 70's: Long lines at the gas pumps (I would have gladly paid more if I could avoid waiting) and how much I hated the 55 Mph limit. That rumour may have been started by a right-winger or one of Hillary's rivals for the Dem nomination. On the other hand, it it really was Hillary advocating the return of the dreaded "55", it is a sure way for Hillary to torpedo her hopes to be president.

A great bard once wrote:
When I drive that slow, it's hard to steer.
And I can't get my car out of second gear.
What used to take two hours now takes all day
It takes me 16 hours to get to L.A. !

go on and write me up for 125
Post my face wanted dead or alive,
Take my license and all that jive
I can't drive....well you know the rest

Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Go back to 55 MPH on a 10 lane interstate? I was thinking more along the lines of what Bill Engval would say:

"Here's your sign"

Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Match the Speed Limit to the car's fuel economy:

30 MPG = Max. Speed 30 MPH

40 MPG = 40 MPH

50 MPG = 50 MPH

60 MPG = 60 MPH... etc.

The Hummer will be the safest car ...slow and bulletproof.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jumping in Late

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
There are plenty of other alternatives to save fuel, starting with enforcing the existing speed limits. It seems like nearly everyone drives 10mph over the posted speed limit on the highway with impunity - enforce it. Set up videocam speed traps like that one in (Scottsdale?) Arizona.
OK, I hate that. I do not mind that they have a limit and they are enforcing it but the drivers are insane. They speed up to 80+ and then slam on the brakes when the camera comes into view (and they are in the same place all the time so frequent drivers know where they are). They don't just slow down to the speed limit, they slow down to 50-55 (speed limit 65) and just by the time that they are back up to the 80+ there is another camera. I think it is better in PV where they are in different locations all the time so you have to drive the speed limit more consistantly because you never know where they will pop up.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Katz6768,

Do you realize my 5-speed Insight on level ground can go to 65mph and get 65mpg? That would probably limit HCHs and Prius' to 50mph, etc.....

Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Do you realize my 5-speed Insight on level ground can go to 65mph and get 65mpg? That would probably limit HCHs and Prius' to 50mph, etc.....
The last few days coming to work (flat roads 50 mph) I've been doing 60 MPG in my new HCH (3.9 L/100km). I got it 2 weeks ago and haven't put any gas so far (still on my first tank) so I don't have it in my signature yet.

On the speed limit discussion:

Most speed limits posted are fair and reasonable. They are decided based on scientific data that I am not qualified to question. It would really make sense to find a way to enforce the limits at all times on all roads, there is technology available.
The government should start by forcing "risk" drivers to install a GPS black box on their cars that would monitor their driving.
A lot of speeders conveniently would see it as an invasion of privacy. To satisfy them, the black-box could be introduced with an insurance premium reduction or traffic fines amnisty incentive.

Last edited by Katz6768; 05-26-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: go back to 55 mph?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands