Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

A good NY Times article to get mad at

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default A good NY Times article to get mad at

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/op...pagewanted=all

Opinions?

Last edited by lakedude; 05-14-2006 at 12:50 PM. Reason: not edited actually, made an oops
Old 05-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: A good NY Times article to get mad at

Ok I read the article and actually agree with many of the points. I don't think the writer understands the Prius all that well and do not agree with some of his/her statements on the Prius.

I totally agree that a 21mpg hybrid is for posers if all you are doing is carrying yourself around.

Last edited by lakedude; 05-14-2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: gender modification
Old 05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Check this out:

Jamie Lincoln Kitman: Best way to save gas may be to avoid hybrids
This GUY has something against us.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Diesel driver

I thought it was a very fair article. It's better to live within walking or cycling distance of one's office than it is to drive a hybrid (or any other car) any distance in a commute.

I cycle to work 60% of the time.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Green Missionary

While the tone of the article is somewhat that of hybrid-bashing, the points tend to be valid. Except the article violates some of its own points, such as making passing mention of comparing apples to apples and then giving an example comparing a Lexus hybrid SUV with a Corolla!).

I have never thought of the current HEV technology as anything more than a bridge between the gasoline-only power and integrated (and perhaps multiple) power sources of the future. I agree with the article that hybrids are not an automatic answer for everyone although I think we are nearing the point where most people will find a hybrid version of the vehicle style they want.

The article points out that most hybrids do better in the city and may not hold up to comparisons on the highway. (Sorry, Honda people, but the article is Prius biased.) Even its facts seem suspicious. A Prius getting only 40 mpg in the city? I get that with my FEH - and it is a much heavier vehicle.

And the article glosses over the principle that driving styles for a hybrid are different than for nonhybrids. Honda has demonstrated that hybrid technology can be configured for good city and even better highway mileage for those who want this. It can also be configured for muscle at the sacrifice of mileage for those who have this need.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here's my take:
because under certain circumstances they run on battery power
Honda's system doesn't run on battery power, it is an assist system.
Sure Civic II has an EV mode, but not like it's running on battery power.
Fuel economy comes from an efficiency-tweaked gasoline engine, and the lost performance is taken up by the electrics.
The author fails to reveal that fact.
Prius is obviously a different system.

Parking spaces dedicated to hybrid owners
First I heard of that one.
Perhaps he was confused with those EV stations?

just because a car has so-called hybrid technology
So-called? What does that mean?

Fuel-efficient conventional cars are often better than hybrid S.U.V.'s
The author fails to point out that many hybrid SUV's do very well, and the fact that it is not hybrid-specific...most any conventional cars are more fuel-efficient than SUV's.
Escape Hybrid SUV averages about 31MPG, and up to almost 40MPG
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/ford-es...
While the non-hybrid version is low 20's MPG.

Mariner hybrid SUV gets around 29MPG
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/mercury-mariner.html" but as high as 33MPG.
Non-hybrid version gets around 22/26.

Hybrid premium)as much as $6,000 more per car
Sure, if you compare something like a base Civic DX to a HCH
Often the premium is less than $2,000

The hybrid car's electric battery packs rob space from passengers and cargo
Sure the HCH doesn't have a fold down rear seat but wouldn't consider it "robbed". Wonder which space is robbed from Prius?
Paints a picture of large, obtrusive battery package

(Hybrid battery pack) poses a major environmental hazard
False. The Nimh batteries are non-toxic.

So the ideal hybrid car is one that is used in town
Honda's system make excellent highway cars.
Fails to mention it.
The ideal in-town car would be an EV, in my opinion.

Hybrid taxis and buses make enormous sense
He just spent 100% of his energy trashing hybirds now he endorses them for taxis. I think CNG is the way to go for busses today.

And they may actually punish citizens who save fuel the old-fashioned way — by using less of it, with smaller, lighter and more efficient cars. All the while, they'll make a mockery of a potentially useful technology
Look at the everyday hybrid MPG facts from real-life drivers:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

Per tank potential from real-life daily drivers:
Accord hybrids almost 40MPG
Civic 1 hybrid almost 70MPG
Civic 2 Automatic transmission 60MPG
Insight 93MPG
Prius 72MPG

Overall the author only reveals potentially bad side, and none of the benefits.

Ideas?

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 05-14-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

One point I wholeheartedly agree on - if you are serious about being green make a lifestyle change. Stuff like get a more fuel efficient vehicle regardless of the powerplant. I've made similar remarks here and irritated some. Diet Cokes alone don't make you lose weight. Hybrids while driving bad won't make a lot of difference.

When I got my 2000 5-speed Insight, FE was in the low 50mpg. Morning work commutes are now about 75mpg, and last week it was 85 without really trying! I changed my driving.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Parking spaces dedicated to hybrid owners
First I heard of that one.
Perhaps he was confused with those EV stations?
They have them at a shopping center here in Savannah. There are also certain towns/cities that have free parking for hybrids when those with other vehicles have to pay.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:54 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Liar "indeed, it had to work so hard .....Corolla"

He is a liar in the same sense D Cheney is liar. His statement about the Prius on a hy trip"the motor had to work so had that we calculated that we might have used less fuel with a conventional Corolla. "
See how it is done, just like Cheney or Clinton-they think they are soooo much smarter than everyone else. He didn't lie because of one little word-"MIGHT". . His intent is clear-to make the reader think that the Corolla beats the Prius in interstate driving. He is absolutely wrong-check CR- Prius =48mpg on their 150 mile trip-the Corolla =35mpg. Same story on hy Prius =50 Corolla=39.
I really hate it when someone uses wiggle words with the clear intention of misleading. You can't say they are outright liars even though their intention is to mislead.. Notice, he doesn't give any numbers fro this cross country trip in the Prius-more CS.
I really hate sneaky liars who don't lie. Give me a plain bald faced liar.Don't give me some CS who "I didn't lie" but still misleads.Thanks,Charlie

Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Take out the nonsense paragraph about the Prius (shame on him too for perpetuating that kind of junk) and I think this guy is spot on. Hybrid SUVs are obviously the better choice over their gas-only counterparts if you really need that kind of vehicle in the first place, so I won't say there isn't a place for them. For those that don't need them, I think the more courageous environmental decision is to make a lifestyle change into a smaller, more efficient vehicle (hybrid or not).

I think if the government really want's to get their subsidies right and do something meaningful for conservation, reward absolute MPG (hybrid or not), not whatever technology is getting it there.

Quick Reply: A good NY Times article to get mad at

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands