Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Great Tahoe review

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Engineering first
Default Great Tahoe review

http://jalopnik.com/399435/2008-chev...ybrid-part-one

Encountering a few hundred of the lake faithful in a traffic jam near Saginaw, the hybrid's uniqueness began to show. Puttering bumper-to-bumper at about 20 MPH, the engine drops out with a slight shudder and the Tahoe hums along in pure electric mode, smoothly and silently. Until the brakes are applied, anyway: At that point, the regenerative braking leads to an unexpected off-throttle deceleration effect—kind of like engine braking in a manual transmission vehicle. It's not exactly refined, but one gets used to it and learns to anticipate the effect.

When traffic opens up again, a push on the throttle brings the 6-liter Vortec V8 back into action, with the transition between electric and gas marking itself with another slight shudder. A Prius owner might consider the whole thing obtrusive, but the driveline machinations are reasonably imperceptible. At least to the occupants of the Tahoe, that is — everyone else knows exactly what's going on thanks to no fewer than nine different hybrid badges, stickers, and emblems on our tester.

As we turned off the main highway onto the back roads near Mio, and then onto dirt tracks for the final 20 miles of our journey, the Tahoe continued to impress. The suspension soaked up rough terrain without complaint, the interior remained smooth and quiet, and when the going got slow, we slipped into golf-cart mode, gliding past startled deer while the onboard computer bragged about its nearly 22 MPG average
Now if GM can just build a bunch and/or down-size their hybrid system into something in the low $30k range.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Great Tahoe review

I've been driving an Escalade 2-Mode for the past couple weeks. Mostly on long trips. Driving from Detroit to Hilton Head Island SC I've averaged 20.4 mpg.

That's with 4 people in the car, the third row (seats still in) and cargo area packed beyond reason, and a hitch-mounted bike carrier with 4 bikes on it. I was pushing close to 21 mpg until we hit the mountains of West Virginia, but still stayed over 20.

Also keep in mind that the Escalade weighs more than the Tahoe and Yukon and doesn't have some of the added fuel economy tricks that they have (mass saving aluminum hood and tailgate, more aerodynamic front fascia, low rolling resistance tires).

The Escalade has 22 inch wheels and full power lift tailgate and other options that are not available on T2M and Y2M because of focus on maximizing f/e, but it still seems to be doing just fine.

Too many freakin' badges, though.

Peace,

Martin

Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

I am always a little skeptical (I say that a lot ) when an article starts out:

Go North — and take that big-*** SUV with you.
Of course it gets better when the author confuses it with a minivan:

"But it's a hybrid, so it must be environmentally sound, right?" No. A 50% improvement in mileage vs. the straight gasoline-powered Tahoe is a **** impressive feat, but 21 city/22 highway isn't good enough anymore. Conventional minivans do better than that (combined) and carry just as many people...
Comparing it to a Prius would make more sense, "..the Prius doubles that (combined) and has just as many doors, 5..." . It's interesting that journalist overlook the obvious relationship between the fuel consumption of the Tahoe Hybrid and the Prius Using EPA numbers, the gas saved driving a Hybrid Tahoe over a standard Tahoe would fuel a Prius the same number of miles.

g/15K Miles
Tahoe: 1047
TaHy : 698
Prius : 326

Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 AM
Engineering first

I grew up in a family of five boys and we used an International Harvester, Travelall ... a huge vehicle but what was needed.

I'm a member of the "right tool for the right job" crowd.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
......I'm a member of the "right tool for the right job" crowd.

Bob Wilson
As am I

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

It seems like a good vehicle. If only there was a midsize v6 truck incorporating this system.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Originally Posted by bwilson4web
......I'm a member of the "right tool for the right job" crowd.

Bob Wilson
As am I
Me too.

Bob - Wow, IH that brings back memories. I grew up with two neighbors who drove IH Scout(s). Really cool, especially with the top off.

Martin - What does "been driving" mean ? Sounds as though you don't own, but have access to a CadEscHy? Sign me up
I sure wish these fullsize hybrids would have been available 2 years ago. The Acadia wasn't big enough, but my wife's 07 Denali XL has served us well. FWIW, we see between 15 to 18 MPG driving a 50/50 to mostly highway mix respectively. I have coaxed 19-20 MPG driving some of the rural (<60 MPH) backroads in the SC low country. But, the Denali doesn't have the engine management feature and city driving really sinks the FE.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Great Tahoe review

I'd like to see a 'frame' with hybrid drive system so I could get a Coachman, Class B style body. It would also make a nice 'jitney bus' system or even a utility truck. Add a PTO driven by the traction battery system and voila, you couldn't make them fast enough for all the cities, towns and rural fire departments.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Too many freakin' badges, though.
Stealth was a significant factor in my attraction to the RXh. Yes, it's a marked as an RX400h on the rear hatch which will be a give-away to some people, and has a small badge on either side just forward of the rear wheel well, 'HYBRID'. That's it. When we were initially shopping I was uncertain it was the same Toyota/Honda/Ford 'Synergy' system, since it didn't have that trademark all over it.

Benton 1aug08

Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by doasc
...Martin - What does "been driving" mean ? Sounds as though you don't own, but have access to a CadEscHy? Sign me up
That pretty much sums it up. I borrowed it from a friend on the hybrid system development team. Makes a much better vacation vehicle than my current car. No compromises! Driving my car would have meant renting bikes and golf clubs and beach gear for 4 people. With the E2M I was able to carry all of that and still get decent fuel economy.

Peace,

Martin

Quick Reply: Great Tahoe review

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands