Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Green Is The New Red White and Blue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Green Is The New Red White and Blue

The Sunday, 05/14/2006, Dallas Morning New Business Section has a nice interview excerpt from Tom Friedman (The World is Flat) outlining the need to change the perception of anything Green from liberal, tree hugging, etc. to the new Red, White, and Blue. He calls for a comprehensive crash program aimed at energy independence with additional insights concerning free markets.

It's not posted on www.dallasnews.com yet though. The article is by Crayton Harrison and is titled "Seeing green as the color of patriotism" at the top of the Business Section.

I enjoyed the article - maybe a start to real solutions? I hope so.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Green Is The New Red White and Blue

I agree with that concept. Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion. Anyone who purposefully buys a car, truck, or SUV that gets 30 MPG or higher (whether it's hybrid, diesel, conventional, whatever) should feel like they're doing America a favor.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Vegetarian

"Green Is The New Red White and Blue" would make a great bumper sticker.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I agree with that concept. Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion. Anyone who purposefully buys a car, truck, or SUV that gets 30 MPG or higher (whether it's hybrid, diesel, conventional, whatever) should feel like they're doing America a favor.

I totally agree! I've noticed recently that Chevy Avalanches must come straight from the dealership with a yellow "support our troops" magnet on one side and an American flag magnet on the other. Guess the purchase of a $2 magnet that lets them sleep at night. Seems like lessening our dependency on middle-east oil does a lot more than purchasing said $2 magnet for our country's future. Amazing how twisted people's logic can be.

Perhaps we should manufacturer a green ribbon magnet for hybrid buyers?

Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You mean, like:

I wish they'd let you specify the foreground color instead of just giving you this gray:

Anyway, you can make your own on this website.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

And it rhymes, too- I'm thinking song lyrics.

Green is the new
Red, White and Blue.

Someone call Neil Young!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Vegetarian

Oh man, I hate those ribbons.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Go Army!

Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion.
You might want to check out vehicles driven by military personnel when they're off-duty. You won't find many H2s (if any), but you'll certainly find plenty of big trucks and SUVs.

I'll bet a lot of your fellow law enforcement officers also drive those kinds of vehicles.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Green Is The New Red White and Blue

Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion.

These are the sort of statements that are nothing more than flamebait and do
nobody any favors. Please stop. This is nothing more than W's 'with us or against us' (or Anakin's?) turned on its head.

I'm waiting for one of Rush or O'Reilley's lackeys to find that post and then start talking it up in AM radio... lot of good that'll do the cause.

Tolerance.

Generalizations and stereotypes exist because they are true often enough, but be really careful when applying them. Especially with qualifiers like 'anyone' or 'everyone' or lumping a hardcore Marine in with Richard Reid.

It only takes a single case to disprove such a statement; then it looks absurd and gets ignored.

Clearly not ALL who buy large vehicles for personal use are simply picking up Molly and her friends from school, using all 3 rows of seats. Boats, campers, landscaping-on-the-side, etc... all valid reasons for a family to have a larger vehicle.

Of course, I cannot disagree with the 2nd half about buying small purposefully.

Last edited by gonavy; 05-17-2006 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Absolutely freakin right.

Most of them are either too ignorant to see it, or they do see it and truly are terrorist sympathizers in denial.

And no, I will not be quiet and polite about it. Their ignorance, arrogance, and greed are not only getting our young people killed for oil, it is destroying the planet.

Tolerance my ***, good people tolerating evil is no virtue...

bowdirk

Quick Reply: Green Is The New Red White and Blue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands