Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

'Green' vehicle technology to get financing from Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default 'Green' vehicle technology to get financing from Ontario

The Ontario government plans to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the auto industry to help it become a leader in producing more environmentally friendly cars and maintain the province's pre-eminence in the crucial sector.

Mr. McGuinty told reporters yesterday that his government plans to invest more money to help the industry develop large vehicles that are cleaner. He said there is little point in just focusing on small-sized vehicles, because consumers are not prepared to abandon their love affair with SUVs.

"The marketplace, and not the government, is forcing auto makers to adapt and change, he said."

Two auto makers, Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp., will assemble hybrid versions of some of the vehicles they manufacture at their Canadian plants. GM will produce hybrid versions of its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks in Oshawa, Ont., beginning next year.
Ford has announced that its Oakville, Ont., plant will produce hybrid versions of the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles, but has not said when it will do so.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: 'Green' vehicle technology to get financing from Ontario

I don't know if I'd call an Edge a particularly large vehicle. If it came in hybrid flavor, I would consider one. I think CUVs are great alternatives to SUVs. You get mobile storage and passenger room in a more efficient package.