Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The greenest and meanest vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Engineering first
Talking The greenest and meanest vehicles

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...nest_vehicles/

Originally Posted by Boston_Globe
The greenest and meanest vehicles

The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy today releases its annual list of the environmentally 'greenest' and 'meanest' cars, using a 0 to 100 scale based on emission levels and mileage.

By Royal Ford, Globe Staff | February 6, 2007

Three gasoline-electric hybrids, the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, and Nissan Altima, are rated among the "greenest" cars of 2007 in the 10th annual "greenest" and "meanest" rankings released today by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. . . .
Bob Wilson

Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The greenest and meanest vehicles

Bob,

I noticed a similar article on another news web site.

I'm feeling pretty good after reading that article, since my personal car is No. 2 (a Prius), the car I drive at work is No. 1 (a Civic GX), and I walked to work this morning as I usually do, and used no gasoline at all.

harry

Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: The greenest and meanest vehicles

Originally Posted by Earthling
. . .
. . .
I'm using Google News and have a daily alert for articles referencing "CNW Marketing" and a second one for "hybrid electric." I usually get one or two summaries per day and based upon them, I may post an article here. It would be nice if we could get more folks to do something similar from other news feeds like Yahoo or major news papers.

In this case, the alert was for a reprint of the article in "The Boston Globe" so I subscribed to their site to reference the original article. Having been plagerized in the past, I'm sensitive to hurt of unattributed work.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 AM

I couldn't find the article, but it was based on this:

http://www.greenercars.com/12green.html

Harry

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 AM

I found the original article:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...est/index.html

The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy's 10th annual "Greenest Cars" list includes only vehicles from Asian manufacturers. "When you look at the specs that matter, it's fair to say the imports have Detroit's number," said ACEEE analyst James Kliesch.By By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer

Harry

Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Dazed and Confused

How can the nissan which has not even begun to hit the road be ranked above the Camry? I also understand the altima will be faster, and i doubt it will actually have better mileage ratings, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I own a vehicle in the top 10 and one in the bottom 10. Does that mean I cancle myself out?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Interesting article. I notice that they list the Prius 2nd and the HCH 3rd but they have the identical 'green score' of 53 on their scale, so it ought to be a tie.

Bob, your daily alert idea for catching the news is a good one, though I never figured out how to do that on yahoo. Maybe I'll get some time to look at it later this week.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 AM

Reviving an older topic, here is something that is related:

If you wonder why it's so hard to get beyond oil, consider the Bush administration official who was forced to apologize for urging his agency's employees to consider buying fuel-efficient cars.

Yes, to make this rather obvious suggestion to help reduce oil dependence is to generate a political firestorm. That's because—you guessed it!—not one of the cars on the gas-saving list was made in the U.S.A.

But it is patently untrue that "consumers can choose from a wide variety of models made by American auto companies that get over 30 miles per gallon," as was claimed by the Michigan members of Congress, both Democrat and Republican, in a joint letter of complaint to HHS, found here at the Detroit Free Press website.

ACEEE has written to the Michigan members of Congress to defend both its ranking system and its patriotism. "While we pride ourselves on the objectivity of our ratings, ACEEE cheers each time a domestic manufacturer's vehicle makes the 'Greenest Vehicles' list," writes Executive Director Steven Nadel. "Unfortunately, U.S. manufacturers' relative environmental performance has since lagged, while consumer interest in vehicles' environmental impacts has grown considerably."
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-t...utomakers.html

Also, the greenest and meanest page link has been updated:
http://www.greenercars.org/highlights.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Prius geek

Originally Posted by Earthling
Bob,

I'm feeling pretty good after reading that article, since my personal car is No. 2 (a Prius), the car I drive at work is No. 1 (a Civic GX), and I walked to work this morning as I usually do, and used no gasoline at all.

harry
Earthling, I want to be your friend! I've only a Prius to be smug about. I need to address that walking to work thing (or at the very least, ride my bike the 10 miles in good weather).

What's the GX like to drive/fuel up, etc.?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
"Manalo"

After driving around in my hybrid for two years now. I feel as if I would be getting the same gas mileage if I were in a non-hybrid civic and I could of also saved $$$ at the time of purchase. Now come to think of it, if I were to get more out of this I would simply switch to an alternative fuel such as natural gas or corn oil instead. IMO, my HCHII could be just as fuel-efficient as an EX model except when sitting at the light. Overall, I'm still happy with my purchase and still planning to keep it for a long time coming.

Quick Reply: The greenest and meanest vehicles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands