Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hiring engineers for hybrid projects

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Engineering first
Default Hiring engineers for hybrid projects

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...028/0/SPORTS02

Ford hiring 70 engineers for alt-fuel projects

August 17, 2007
By SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
One of Ford Motor Co.’s top executives responsible for hybrid-powered vehicles today said the company is looking to hire 70 new engineers and scientists to support its growing programs for alternative fuel vehicles, such as those powered by gasoline-electric engines or those that can be plugged into an outlet.
. . .

Gioia said Ford needs engineers with highly-specialized experience in batteries, controls and electrical systems, as well as noise, vibration and harshness.

Proven engineers with that kind of expertise are in high demand and short supply across the automotive industry as automakers – and their potential battery suppliers – try to develop vehicles that reduce dependence on foreign oil.

“There’s a limited pool,” Gioia acknowledged.

General Motors Corp. alone wants to fill 400 specialized engineering and technical positions, but that’s not all. Troy-based Compact Power Inc., one of two firms hired by GM to develop a lithium-ion battery system for the Chevrolet Volt, is expected to add 10 engineers to its workforce of 25 by the end of the year as GM tries to get the electric-powered Volt to market by 2010.
. . .
Beyond press releases and eye-wash models, hiring really defines a corporation's priorities. Better late than never, this is an important first step.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC
Default Re: Hiring engineers for hybrid projects

This is also Toyota's big limiting factor as well. I heard that one of the reasons to take over the Isuzu investment was to get access to the 1000 diesel engineers that were working there. Frees up Toyota engineers for other projects.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Hiring engineers for hybrid projects

Considering that Ford finished up 2006 being $12 billion in the red, I hope the engineers are smart enough to ask for Direct Deposit, since I wouldn't trust a paper paycheck from Ford at this point.

As I eluded to on C-MPG, I think it's probably too late for Ford anyway.GM and Toyota will have already retained the cream of the crop as far as engineering goes. Ford basically blew it badly four years ago when they opted for short-term profits (guzzlers) instead of following through on their quarter-million -vehicle hybrid promise. They also don't seem to grasp that firing one high-level exec is equivalent monetarily to firing several thousand line workers. The difference, of course, is that a factory worker produces, wheras executives are bloated parasites.

I'd like to see Ford suceed, but what kind of hybrid can they really develop at this point? Toyota has HSD patented, Honda has IMA, and GM has BAS and 2Mode. How many other ways can a hybrid drivetrain be designed? I think they just waited too long. If Ford is still around in 2010 I will be amazed.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Need a Plug
Thumbs down Re: Hiring engineers for hybrid projects

GM's supplier is hiring 10 engineers to add to the 25.. These guys are really smoking dope. I had 3 times that many to develope the first electronic Diesel fuel inject for Bendix. We did it in less than 30 months.

If the detroit mentatility continues as it always does they will pay the head of these groups more than the enginers get all together.

Lordy Lordy they never lear, no wonder they are so far behind. Talk about underwhelming the problem.