Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

How to make Hybrids look bad - Take 1000 ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default How to make Hybrids look bad - Take 1000 ;)

Perhaps we could give these nice folks a hand? They appear to have some trouble steering towards the truth...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=173278

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 04-12-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: How to make Hybrids look bad - Take 1000 ;)

Diesel folks seem to feel really threatened by hybrids.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

I've been their before. If I respond, it will be to link past comments and ask them why the hybrid death count does not resemble the Iraqi war dead.

Dr Freud defined the ID as: "....ones reptillian, sexual being". All those Tacoma, Hummer, and other big truck commercials appeal to the ID. People that respond to such can be accurately called IDiots.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't see anything that is being said that is completely false (at least the 1st page seemed pretty tame)?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't see anything that is being said that is completely false (at least the 1st page seemed pretty tame)?
Read more. Mention of the Sudbury nickel plant myth, the EPA only exaggerates hybrids mpg myth, lack of understanding about autostop does not cutoff when the A/C is on max, the "Dust to Dust" hack job.

Finally, the guy that is wanting to give a Diesel vs. Hybrid speech is open about wanting to rip hybrids.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by livvie

Of course not. You are very right about that.

However, it would perhaps be right to say that the creation and perpetuation of most myths contain at least a small proportion of truth to them. Don't they? Otherwise the credibility factor would be so low that these myths would never stick.

(Preemptively, just to re-assure you: I did eat my wheaties this morning... and no, I am not really a fan of Kool-aid)

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ok... so I see a couple of things that aren't completely true, but I would say the majority is fine, and yes I see a bias towards diesel but it is a TDI forum. The 2nd page seems to take a tangent into ethanol.

I could argue that this forums spews a lot of untruths as well. A lot of people here think hybrids are the end-all be-all car of choice. Buy a hybrid and you save the world (haven't heard it put that way exactly but the implication is there).

The funny thing about all this was some article I read in Time the other day. They list 51 things you could do to slow/stop global warming. For some reason I thought for sure they were going to list buying a hybrid as a one of the things to do. I was pleasantly suprised they didn't. Which has been one of my stances here in this forums that buying a hybrid really doesn't help global warming and shouldn't be used as a selling point. Actually my real stance is that there are other more important things that can be done before buying a hybrid should ever enter the equation. Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread but forums that are pro-TDI are going to say pro-TDI things, same goes with hybrid forums.

Last edited by livvie; 04-12-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
Diesel folks seem to feel really threatened by hybrids.
I don't see it that way at all. One guy made a pretty good post in favor of hybrids, and was subsequently ripped by a veteran member.

That veteran member was then ripped and put into place by about 5 other TDIClub members in support of the pro-hybrid post.

I don't think it is wrong at all to expect a TDI/diesel bias over on Fred's pages ... just like there is a clear hybrid bias here.

The real question is, how many members on this site would stick up for a pro-diesel poster?

Riiiight .... I won't hold my breath.

These hybrid - diesel pissing matches are getting really old ... on both sides.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snowdog650
The real question is, how many members on this site would stick up for a pro-diesel poster?

Riiiight .... I won't hold my breath.
Three hours later - returning from the gym...

I have welcomeed diesel drivers here and at www.cleanmpg.com ... said last Christmas at TDI forums I'd consider buying a diesel/hybrid.

Another things I've noticed at hybrid forums is they don't bash diesels as POS childishly - sadly the reverse is true at TDI Forums. Check out post #5 in this thread about the hybrid distortions/falsehoods they mentioned in said thread at TDI Forums

I'm for fuel economy first, followed by low emissions - clean diesel technolgy is around the corner. Ironically, putting diesels in a hybrid power plant will be one way to bring them back in US passenger cars.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-12-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

To heck with the hybrid vs. diesel debate. I nearly fell out of my chair reading about what he's doing. "I'm taking a high lvl business speech/public speaking...point me in the right direction...long term ecological aspect...anything to make hybrid look bad, and tdi good." To me that reads as "Alive...alive...alive...splat." (Figuratively speaking, of course.) Debates are pretty rough when you choose the affirmative on "Resolved: The Earth is flat and u sux0rz."

Quick Reply: How to make Hybrids look bad - Take 1000 ;)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands