Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid autos save money in long run, study finds

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Engineering first
Wink Hybrid autos save money in long run, study finds

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...iewed-homepage

Originally Posted by latimes
Hybrid autos save money in long run, study finds

By John O'Dell, Times Staff Writer
January 8, 2007

Hybrid vehicles are proof of the old saw that you've got to spend money to save it, a new study shows.
. . .
But a new study by Los Angeles-based Intellichoice.com, which specializes in automotive cost-of-ownership data, says that hybrid buyers are still the winners when you factor in costs of financing, fuel, insurance, state taxes and license fees, repairs, maintenance and depreciation.

"Across the board, we found that all 22 hybrid vehicles have a better total cost of ownership over five years or 70,000 miles than the vehicles they directly compete against," said James Bell, Intellichoice.com's publisher.
. . .
Let's see, it is 2007 and we've had hybrids in USA ownership for six years. It is about time facts and data hammer down the hybrid skeptics.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid autos save money in long run, study finds

Went to www.intellichoice.com to see the full study, all I found was this.

http://www.intellichoice.com/carBuyi...ypeOverHybrids

Only compared Escape and Civic.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Vehicles Going Mainstream

No longer the butt of jokes by large SUV owners, hybrid cars are now the choice of mainstream America and are poised to have another record sales year.

After gas prices jumped 13% in 2006 over 2005 consumers flocked to the hybrids and haven’t left them as gas prices continue to be unstable and spook consumers. Sport-utility vehicles and pickup trucks built by General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor continue to nose dive in sales while the hybrid car sales are immune to fluctuating gas prices, and only increase when gas prices soar.

Consulting firm KPMG International recent poll showed 89 percent of auto executives questioned described fuel economy as the top factor when consumers are selecting new vehicles. Compared to 58% in 2002.

Now a new study has even dispelled the one argument against purchasing a hybrid car, it’s cost. Los Angeles-based Intellichoice.com now has reported hybrids save you money over gas cars. On average, sedans of similar size to the Prius cost motorists an average of $33,305 over the first five years of ownership, compared to the hybrid Prius $19,897. This more than justifies the additional $1000-$5000 hybrid cars typically cost. Not to mention the thousands saved in fuel costs and the many state rebate programs !

With the rosey picture for hybrid cars you would think Ford and GM would be backing hybrid car production this year. Surprisingly they have little to offer now and little for the near future. They appear to be focusing on layoffs and cutting production instead. They still can’t shake their SUV gas guzzling ways. Sure the 90’s were good for sales, but watching your own self destruction for 10 years should be a wake up call. Who’s running Ford and GM, Ripp Van Winkle?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by worthywads
Went to www.intellichoice.com to see the full study, all I found was this.

http://www.intellichoice.com/carBuyi...ypeOverHybrids

Only compared Escape and Civic.
There is quite a difference from the LA Times news article about their study and what is on the web site. I've sent them an note asking if there is a more complete or detailed study that will be posted.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 01-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Vehicles Going Mainstream

It is so sad with Ford and GM. GM had a great car (EV1) they could of improved on and were years ahead of the competition and now look where they are. Ford has an excellent Hybrid (FEH) and could put the system into all of its vehicles or at least more of them and doesn't. It is so sad, where in the American Sense of innovation? Is it totally dead?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I've often wondered why Ford's HSD wasn't implemented in some rather obvious vehicles like the Focus and Fusion -- two big sellers for that company.

Likewise, GM's lightweight BAS hybrid system would be a no-brainer in small vehicles like the Aevo and Cobalt.

But all they care about is making HUGE v8 trucks and bloated SUVs that typically get 13-18 MPG (and some get even less.)

Ford and GM could very easily expand their hybrid offerings with just the technology they now possess. And yet they don't. I just don't get it.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Still, it's nice to see the spin going in the other direction for once. Ordinarily when there is something skewed in the media reporting about hybrids, it tends to raise extra, unnecessary skepticism about the price of hybrids or the real FE or something like that. At least we finally have one example of reporting on hybrids that actually gives the hybrid side of the 'argument' the benefit of the doubt. If there is a skew (and I haven't read the underlying study myself so I'm not asserting that there is or is not) at least it appears to be in favor of hybrids.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azwildbill2
It is so sad with Ford and GM. GM had a great car (EV1) they could of improved on and were years ahead of the competition and now look where they are. Ford has an excellent Hybrid (FEH) and could put the system into all of its vehicles or at least more of them and doesn't. It is so sad, where in the American Sense of innovation? Is it totally dead?
America$h $en$e of Innovaca$h.

There, fixed it for you.

~X~

Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drive a (mild) hybrid mainly because I get better gas mileage. The fact that I may save money in the long run really doesn't matter much.

This is also why I eagerly awaiting E85 kits (real ones, not the shams that are being pushed). E85 won't save money, but it's a lot better for the environment.

~X~

Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Seems to me with the current pricing anyone looking at a Ford Escape should conclude the hyrid is the no-brain winning choice. At some point the Hybrid might not make sense if Ford can't keep up with the demand for Hybrids and the price spread separates.

What's the availability on the Escape Hybrid, is there a waiting list?

One thing I noticed in the www.intellichoice.com article was this rather odd statement:

"It should be noted that as part of our methodology, we do not set Target Price above MSRP. As a company that evaluates ownership costs, we can't advocate paying over retail price for a vehicle, as that is financial equivalent to just tossing money out the door, both in terms of initial purchase price, as well as added depreciation costs."

Anyone that paid over MSRP please ignore this report, the author thinks you tossed money out the door? At least they are above board saying this, but it brings their "IntelliChoice's proprietary Target Pricing" presumably used in this analysis into question.

Can we just get an unbiased analysis with a clear methodology? This could be it but I have my doubts.

Quick Reply: Hybrid autos save money in long run, study finds

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands