Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Cars to Drive in the 100th Anniversary Great Race

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hybrid Cars to Drive in the 100th Anniversary Great Race

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know a rally-style race from a hole in the wall. could you be a little more clear why this set of rules would discourage speeding? I mean, these people will be driving in traffic, and they'll presumably have to have good maps and navigation skills, but in many areas the routes would be obvious enough that they'll be the same for everybody. (the MPG drivers, however, might look for routes of different types) So why wouldn't people speed just in case they need to make up time for poor navigation or the like?
In a rally style race, the driver and navigator get a set of instructions with checkpoints. They have to pass each checkpoint exactly "on-time." Too soon or too late deducts from their points.

Now if they screw up their navigation, I'm not sure what they do. I've only read the rules and the goal is accurate navigation and passing the check points on time. I suspect that how they accomplish these tasks is up the teams.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM
my other car is a FJORD

debbiekatz and i have sent in our applications to run as a team in the north american race

Old 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

cool i've always wanted to race.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am in China (though not along the race course) and have had some discussion with 2 Prius drivers who plan to participate across Asia. While the dates and stopovers are already scheduled, apparently the detailed routes will be provided to the teams only just beforehand. But in practice, in China there is often only one road between cities X and Y. Thus the course is in many areas already known.

Detailed topographic maps of China are not in the public domain. 1:1 million scale maps are available online, and I have directed folks to the Perry Castaneda Library (U Texas Austin). They are good enough to indicate where the big bumps are.

Based on my experience (in buses) traveling the highways of Yunnan Province, any race day longer than 200 km could require most (if not all) of the daylight hours.

I have no info about how the teams will prepare themselves for possible service or repair needs en route. Best to purchase your guide books and phrase books in advance, because bookstores here have very little in English.

I hope to be in Shanghai during 17-21 June next year, so if anyone reading this is going to hybrid across Asia, please send PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Some news articles:

Great Race 2008 won’t skip Buffalo:

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/274443.html

Plans unveiled for centennial version of 1908 'Great Race':

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.a...&nav=menu192_2

My Navigator and I had a blast at the team conference last month; this is really a historic event. No one has ever gone around the world by Automobile in a race in 100 years. Hybrids being there can really demonstrate something to the entire world!