Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Old 03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money

They retracted their statement. Nice try

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...l/14041566.htm

Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wrong. THIS one is based on Depreciation and is new as of today (March 8, 2006: 2:08 PM EST)

Nice try

Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM
YA RLY.

Still, Bell thinks hybrid cars will hold their value at least as well as, if not better than, regular, non-hybrid vehicles. "We don't see any reason at this point to think that a hybrid is going to track along as an outstanding value and then suddenly crash," he said. In spite of increased production, hybrid systems will likely remain rare enough to command a premium among used car buyers, Bell said.
This clearly says that hybrids will most probably depreciate less than non-hybrids. Didn't read anything else but the headline?

Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Ohhhhhh K. Sure, no one wants a hybrid. SUV's are the hot thing. (sarcasm intended) I saw a very nice full size Tahoe the other day for a whooping $2500. Soo, I suppose I'll "save gas - lose money" instead of lose gas AND money in an SUV.

I know there is always the alternate option of the normal gas vehicles that get "good" mileage. That might be what I do next time, but I doubt it. I'll be a repeat hybrid buyer.

Try posting positive things once in a while, it does wonders for credibility

Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

They both appear to say the same thing. Revised if you will.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

"Figures originally published in Consumer Reports magazine on March 1 showed the cost gap being much larger and none of the hybrid vehicles saving owners any money. A correction posted to the magazine's Website Wednesday morning adjusted for a miscalculation in the rate of depreciation. The corrected figures narrow the gap, but all the hybrid vehices still depreciate at a faster rate than non-hybrids, according to the magazine."

Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger

Try posting positive things once in a while, it does wonders for credibility

All I did was link to an article on CNN based on consumer reports, no commentary so how would that effect ones credibility? Infact, the attempts to attack my credibility instead of the points brought forth in the article hurt yours. Have a nice day

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well all I have to say is, look at what a used 00-05 prius is going for.. They aren't depreciating much.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Key words "...according to the magazine." And all they are doing is estimating. Go get some real world figures. I saw an '04 Prius with 47,000 miles on it selling for $600 less than I bought my '05 for new. Assuming it sold for that price it means it lost 1.2 cents per mile. Obviously that won't hold up as supply increases, but project that over 100K miles and that brings the sellable price down by $1276! Not a whole lot of depreciation going on there..... yet.

I see no reason to believe that hybrids will ever depreciate *more* than non-hybrids. At the same pace, maybe (not in the short-term), but depreciate faster? Makes me wonder who's putting pressure on resources like CR to publish that.

If being on a mission to discredit hybrids because you got a lemon made sense, then cars would have never caught on at all. As far as I know, lemons exist in every *non*-hybrid car out there as well, no matter how highly regarded.

Rick

Quick Reply: Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands