Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Lutz: always entertaining

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Engineering first
Default Lutz: always entertaining

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/200...d-cars-as-art/
Lutz declared that:

–Hybrid cars like those made by Toyota “make no economic sense,” because their price will never come down, and diesel autos like those touted by Chrysler are also uneconomic. The only place in Europe that diesel-driven cars are big, he said, is where diesel fuel is half the cost of regular gasoline; in most places there, the costs are comparable and diesel has little market penetration.

– Global warming is a “total crock of ****.” Then he added: “I’m a skeptic, not a denier. Having said that, my opinion doesn’t matter. (With the battery-driven Volt), “I’m motivated more by the desire to replace imported oil than by the CO2 (argument).”

– With more and more good-quality cars on the market these days, “you’ve got to look at the business artistically, too. Part of our business is creating blockbusters–just like the movie business–yet we never think of ourselves that way. A car is an exciting mobile sculpture that you want to own, drive and be seen in. That’s why (auto-industry) comeback stories are always design-driven.” One GM car that fills that bill, he said, is Cadillac’s CTS.
. . .
I have no problem with a "desire to replace imported oil" since the results are the same.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-19-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default GM's Bob Lutz: Global warming is a "total crock of sh*t"

According to D Magazine, at a private lunch, GM chairman Maximum Bob Lutz said global warming is a "total crock of ****." Bob adds "I'm a skeptic, not a denier. Having said that, my opinion doesn't matter." Speaking about the battery-driven Volt, Lutz said, "I'm motivated more by the desire to replace imported oil than by the CO2 [argument]." At the lunch Bob also said hybrids like the Prius make "make no economic sense" and the Volt is exciting for him because "it's the last thing anybody expected from GM." Don't hold back Bob, tell us what you really think.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/02...crock-of-sh-t/

Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: GM's Bob Lutz: Global warming is a "total crock of sh*t"

I agree. Global warming is real, but:
#1 Man plays only a minor role
#2 Man cannot stop it
#3 Slowing down global warming by 1 degree F per century will cost every man, woman, and child on earth $1.4 million dollars over his/her lifetime.

#4 Wouldn't you rather put that $1.4 million per capita to better use?

That $1.4 million buys a lot of homes for the homeless, and a lot of food for the hungry. Plus, polar bears hate bitter cold. Just ask one. They thrive just fine in places like Denver, Los Angeles, and San Diego. Cold weather kills 14 times more human beings than any heat wave.
"Optimal" temperature for humans is 64'F to 68'F.
Guess how much of the world is below this. MOST OF IT.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Lutz: always entertaining

Merged.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

We disagree with the idea that containing global warming would cost over a million dollars per person. Driving smaller vehicles, using energy-efficient lighting, and implementing conservative settings for heating/cooling will not only reduce the threat of global warming but also save money.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Engineering first

Given his age, Lutz probably won't be around long enough to see the consequences. But it really doesn't matter what he thinks.

The carbon problem will sort itself out soon enough as it looks like we're at peak oil now. There isn't a dang thing anyone can do about having 'burned it all up.' The impacts will soon enough settle the issue so I'm not too worried about it. For those who make a living selling systems that use oil, well they're going to need to find a better answer and some of us think we have.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Lutz: always entertaining

Originally Posted by Indigo
We disagree with the idea that containing global warming would cost over a million dollars per person. Driving smaller vehicles, using energy-efficient lighting, and implementing conservative settings for heating/cooling will not only reduce the threat of global warming but also save money.
You need to look at the BIG picture.

Fighting global warming will cost Trillions of dollars.
That equals higher government taxes.
You WILL pay thou$ands more each year.

Fighting global warming will raise fuel prices.
It already has. There are over 130 different formulas of gasoline used in the U.S. alone. So instead of getting a "bulk price" on gas at $1.50, you ( and I ) are paying upwards of $3.00 a gallon for "custom made" fuel for just your city. All in the name of cutting carbon emissions.
Double the price of gas costs every person thou$ands more each year.

I've tried compact flourescent bulbs many times, and in many applications.
They are a poor choice IMHO. The quaility of light they give off is poor ( only a few wavelength, not a full spectrum of colors ) and they are expensive, and I have never ever, not once, had one last "10x longer than incandescent". Usually they cost 5x more, and last 2x longer. Some contain mercury. All contain posionous gas.
Okay, less dramatic, but this is costing the nation's people tremendous cash as a whole. CFB's cost each person up to hundred$ per year.

Smaller cars save you cash this week at the pump, but they may not save you money in the long-term... if you have to rent something large for vacations, or for deliveries, or heck, in general, smaller engines wear out sooner ( 10 years is good enough for most people, but larger engines last 20 or 25 years... ). Plus the companies that make steel and plastic will sell less of it. This means wage cuts, or job layoffs for you and me. This costs thou$sands of dollars per person. I know, it gets "complicated".

Research that goes into pie in the sky methods to combat global warming costs Billion$ each year! Wouldn't that money be better spent on health care, feeding the poor, or building more water reservoirs for our every growing cities? Should we really spend billions and trillions of dollars to try and change the weather that may, or more likely, may not work? Or should we put that money to use buliding infrastructure? ( that will for sure work )

You are paying much more than you think to fight a futile battle.
A young person now will need to donate $1.4 million of his/her income spread out over a lifetime to reduce the planet by 1 degree F.

What is the best use of that money?
What will help the most people, in the most dramatic way?
Lowering the weather 1 degree? Or curing AIDS and Cancer?
Building water reservoirs in dry areas? The list goes on and on.
The best minds in the world recently met and came up with 200 humane priorites, all more urgent than fighting global warming, and all at a fraction of the cost. I'll post the link... when I find it....

Peace,
-John

P.S. We all need to conserve our resources. We need to conserve for the RIGHT reasons. I don't care why you conserve, as long as you do. Now, when it comes to using cash out of pocket, there are hundereds of other more urgent, and more easily met human needs that can be met right now, other than Global Warming. I do not deny GW is real, just question its importance. You would be better off doing the same. I care about the environment as much, or probably more than most people. I am only trying to open people's eyes to areas not often discussed in the media.

Last edited by gpsman1; 02-25-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

GPSMAN1 - should we just call you a troll and leave it at that?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Lutz: always entertaining

Global warming has an interesting history:
  • Denial - until more data pretty well converted even the few remaining, Christy.
  • Not man made - usually by citing volcanos, unsubstantiated orbital patterns or unsubstantiated solar activity
  • Too expensive - there is not enough money to pay for what it takes
But over time, better data, most recently ice cores, tends to mute these objections except for "too expensive." But that one presumes the consequences of global warming are 'free.'

One consequence of global warming is to reduce the land mass by rising sea levels. This forces our species into more crowded conditions and like some of the earlier animal models, we're likely to see population reductions by war and starvation. But war and starvation may be cheaper than spending all the wealth of the world on dealing with global warming.

Personally, I see petroleum coming to an end soon as we're burning it up as fast as it can be pumped, peak oil. Soon enough the shortages will drive us to coal liquification and bio-fuels. But in the meanwhile, there are huge quantities of legacy CO_{2} and it isn't going away very fast.

I have no illusions about my Prius carbon footprint versus my life carbon footprint. The Prius is insignificant in the big picture but it does impact my fuel costs, something I can address. I have no problem with global warming research simply it is intellectually challenging, like the study of black holes. Global warming research may lead to ways to reduce or even reverse CO_{2} while we make our planet a great place for the return of the dinosaurs.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-21-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Lutz: always entertaining

Originally Posted by 300TTto545
GPSMAN1 - should we just call you a troll and leave it at that?
I'd say so; pulling numbers out of his butt and substituting facts with opinions...nothing to see here...move along......

Quick Reply: Lutz: always entertaining

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands